Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new furry non leather jacket (we call it the Yetti Jacket), its ok to laugh!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Ok, I know its a bit...strange looking, to say the least. I saw it last year and tried to put it out of my mind, but I simply couldnt. I tried to ignore it and tell myself it was stupid looking...but it failed lol. However, at over $600.00 I refused to buy it.

I just found it online on clearance and I had a 25% off coupon, so I got it for around $220.00 and decided that I could not ignore it any longer.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone photo, its the best Ive got. I included a stock photo as well, but the "fur" is much longer and thicker than portrayed in the stock photo. I have to say that this is the most comfortable, well made, and well stitched jacket I have ever purchased off the shelf that is not leather. And for an MSRP of $750.00 it better be, especially for Columbia sportswear.

Anyway...feel free to laugh...its ok.

85389394.jpg

f_2514W_2.jpg

f_2514W_1.jpg

My buddy calls it the Yetti Jacket, but I really think its more of a Wookie jacket.

Star-Wars-Chewbaca-Hans_l.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
Peacoat said:
I think they killed and skinned the Wookie. Why the bare spots? Is one for a pocket and the other for the rifle butt?

Yup, you got it. I would have designed it without the rifle butt pad, but I like the pocket there.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Definitely needs some of these to go with it...
63713_300.jpg

It really is one of those things that just seems so strange, yet so appealing for whatever reason. I can't believe it was made by Columbia.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
You should have waited till Halloween to post this... really! The scary part is that someone, somewhere actually thought this would sell. It looks like polyester "fun fur". Is it available in purple, orange or blue? Does it come with a "wookie cushion" that roars when you sit down?

JLStorm

Practically Family
TheSnark said:
You should have waited till Halloween to post this... really! The scary part is that someone, somewhere actually thought this would sell. It looks like polyester "fun fur". Is it available in purple, orange or blue? Does it come with a "wookie cushion" that roars when you sit down?

I think it comes in a black. It does look funny, but I have to give credit where credit is due. I was not at all expecting this, but it actually feels almost identical to real fur and like I said its the most well made non leather jacket Ive had, the stitching, lining, zippers, everything about it is strong and very well made, but for the MSRP it better well be. I cant imagine anyone in their right mind would spend $750 for it, but the quality is definitely there. I think its worth about half that at best (although I have no idea how difficult it is to get the fur pieces in there). It was a limited edition, so Im not sure how many were made.

Whats much funnier than the jacket are the pants (no, I dont have them)

915.56799_e.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Sasquatch Hunting

If you ever get the matching pant, just stay out of Sasquatch territory or your a dead man!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Stearmen said:
If you ever get the matching pant, just stay out of Sasquatch territory or your a dead man!

Its funny you mention that, because these are sold as hunting clothing. What a dumb outfit. "Look, a bear wearing an orange vest!, shoot it"

Cooperson

One Too Many
Don't know what to say about your coat, but the fit looks purrrrfect!

Now I know what all the cats were doing in the Outerwear section lol

shaved-cat-2.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
In all seriousness, there is a practical and historical basis for the Columbia Grizzly Bear Jacket & Pants which are currently on sale at Sierra Trading Post. (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/se...ords=columbia grizzly&searchdescriptions=True)

Fur outerwear has its origins with the Inuit (and a few other sources also) as arctic wear.
_48074035_dscn1579.jpg
Photo%201.jpg

The fur jacket and pant combination was specifically chosen by Adm. Peary for his north pole expedition.
Artic-Expedition-Peary.jpg

Navin323i

Practically Family
JLStorm said:
Ok, I know its a bit...strange looking, to say the least. I saw it last year and tried to put it out of my mind, but I simply couldnt. I tried to ignore it and tell myself it was stupid looking...but it failed lol. However, at over $600.00 I refused to buy it.

I just found it online on clearance and I had a 25% off coupon, so I got it for around $220.00 and decided that I could not ignore it any longer.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone photo, its the best Ive got. I included a stock photo as well, but the "fur" is much longer and thicker than portrayed in the stock photo. I have to say that this is the most comfortable, well made, and well stitched jacket I have ever purchased off the shelf that is not leather. And for an MSRP of $750.00 it better be, especially for Columbia sportswear.

Anyway...feel free to laugh...its ok.

85389394.jpg

f_2514W_2.jpg

f_2514W_1.jpg

My buddy calls it the Yetti Jacket, but I really think its more of a Wookie jacket.

Star-Wars-Chewbaca-Hans_l.jpg

Wow! Cool jacket. My worksite blocks photobucket so I can't see that pic but I can see the other 2. Definitely unique looking which I can respect. :)

JLStorm

Practically Family
LOL @ that poor cat!

Edward, I thought the pants would be really comfortable to wear around the house or whatnot, but the jacket is SOOO warm (like B3 warm) that the pants would be quite uncomfortable unless only worn outside when its very cold and you arent moving much.

As far as the design having a purpose, yes, it did back before days of synthetic fabrics. While this jacket is incredibly warm, I think its more for the look than any possible function...which is perfectly fine with me.

Edward

Bartender
I recall reading - probably somewhere on the Lounge, actually - that there had been some technical research done into the performance of the old school stuff as worn by Inuits compared to modern synthetics and (as we here would expect) the old stuff performed just as well. Even the best human designer can't beat Mama Nature...

The trousers could be an excellent pulling tactic. Seriously, when I went out dressed as the Grinch last Christmas, you wouldn't believe how many women (including the divine Imelda May) spent some time stroking my hairy legs!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Edward said:
I recall reading - probably somewhere on the Lounge, actually - that there had been some technical research done into the performance of the old school stuff as worn by Inuits compared to modern synthetics and (as we here would expect) the old stuff performed just as well. Even the best human designer can't beat Mama Nature...

The trousers could be an excellent pulling tactic. Seriously, when I went out dressed as the Grinch last Christmas, you wouldn't believe how many women (including the divine Imelda May) spent some time stroking my hairy legs!

I go snow tubing with my wife in the winters. I could only imagine the looks I would get in the full suit. If I had the extra cash, that alone would get me to buy the pants just for the laugh factor, but unfortunately money is too tight to buy $150.00 pants to use 3 or 4 times a year, even with the stroking factor lol.

Edward

Bartender
JLStorm said:
I go snow tubing with my wife in the winters. I could only imagine the looks I would get in the full suit. If I had the extra cash, that alone would get me to buy the pants just for the laugh factor, but unfortunately money is too tight to buy $150.00 pants to use 3 or 4 times a year, even with the stroking factor lol.

To a terminally single man such as myself, that might just be an investment worth making.... ;)

JLStorm

Practically Family
Edward said:
To a terminally single man such as myself, that might just be an investment worth making.... ;)

LOL!

I know what is going to happen with my jacket and the wife

Phase 1: Wife:"Good lord what the hell is that?"
Phase 2: Wife:"I cannot believe you actually paid money for that, as if you really needed another jacket"
Phase 3: Wife:"You look so silly in that jacket, I cant believe you are going out like that"
Phase 4: Wife:"you are such a dork, but the jacket is soft"
Phase 5: Wife:"You actually look pretty cute in that jacket, I like to pet it"
Phase 6: Wife: "Im cold can I borrow that stupid furry jacket"
Phase 7: Me: "Ummm...honey where is my jacket" Wife: "Oh its in my car, I wore it today" Me: "But its my jacket and I want to wear it"
Phase 8: Wife: "No honey, its our jacket, you cant have it right now"
Phase 9: I buy a new jacket from Aero

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace