Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New "Vintage" Hat - What Is It?

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Won this on Ebay, $29, including shipping.....The way I read the Auction details, thought this was a Dobbs.

The hat arrived today and the only thing I think is Dobbs is the box. Will depend on you, my fellow Loungers, for your expertise. The auction also mentioned that there were a couple of small "nicks", well, looks to me like moth damage, with one hole straight through, it is small enough, but I know it's there....Any way to repair this or is all hope lost?

Anyway, here are several pic's I've taken.....Douglas, looking to your expertise especially with this one....Thanks!

Not sure I got the deal I thought I did.....??????

Feraud

Bartender
Nice hat, what does it say in the liner above Boulevard? Are there any labels inside the sweatband?

I cannot help notice that "moth" bite.. what a perfectly round hole...
It looks like someone was playing with the BB gun...:)

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Nice hat, what does it say in the liner above Boulevard? Are there any labels inside the sweatband?

I cannot help notice that "moth" bite.. what a perfectly round hole...
It looks like someone was playing with the BB gun...:)

Above the "Boulevard" it says "Custom Royal"....Unfortunately no other labels to be found....I'm diappointed by the moth bite, anything that can be done to repair that?

Thanks, Feraud!!!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I noticed that moth bit too - it's perfect.

The hat looks great on you, whatever it is. You have a kind of Truman Capote thing going with those specs.

Feraud

Bartender
In my opinion, you have an excellent hat and wear it well. One tiny bullet hole ;) does not distract from it.
There is a way to pick at the felt and blend it but I have not done it. One of the drawbacks with buying vintage hats is after 40-70 years you will have some damage to the item. I call it "charm".

For whatever it's worth to you, Barry, one of my favorite wearin' hats has several little bug nibbles and one pretty good sized divot. If I owned that hat of yours, I'd be a bit disappointed with that damage, but it certainly wouldn't keep me from wearing it. Indeed, it would be just the thing for crummy weather, worn with jeans and a leather jacket. And with the way prices are going these days, it won't be long until that box alone could fetch what it cost you with the hat.
Feraud is right -- you can fill in some small holes by picking away with a felting needle, but I'm guessing that the hole in your hat is too large for that. I'd just live with it.

warbird

One Too Many
That hat may have been stored at some point with cigars. That hole could have been caused by a tobacco beetle. Course it also could have been caused by an ice pick. Ooooooh, some violence history there maybe. Cooooool

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A great looking hat is what it is... at least from this point of view!

Yeah, the hole is a bit of a bummer, but most likely can't be seen all that easily while you're wearing it. All in all, good find IMHO. :eusa_clap

Cheers.
Tom

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is a winner for sure Barry. You made a great purchase. It looks fantastic.
The moth hole is hardly worth notice.

Rick Blaine

fer twenty bucks brother, well I'm still sore I didn't see it first.:eusa_doh: I said it before & I'll say it again- it is a stunner that I would've paid much more for, minor injury notwithstanding. Good on ya' too! And quite honestly, Dobbs are not hard to come by but I have never seen a Boulevard Custom Royal. I have several of what I judge to be local, regional or bespoke brands (e.g. Murdoch, Simon, Victor) and they are all that much more charming (in my eyes) for being from a smaller maker.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Barry, If I had that hat, I wouldn't save it for bad weather. Wear it as much as you can. You've got a great hat with a great shape. You would be hard put to find a hat that will look better! There's just something about it...

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
J.T.Marcus said:
Barry, If I had that hat, I wouldn't save it for bad weather. Wear it as much as you can. You've got a great hat with a great shape. You would be hard put to find a hat that will look better! There's just something about it...

Thanks, J.T. Much Appreciated!! ;)

Dr Doran

MAKING THE MOST OF IT.

Fine hat. What size is it? But for that little hole to be really effective, what you need is a matching scar on your head or face. That way you can tell people someone tried to shoot you. Perhaps you have some scar somewhere that you can match to the hole? Men usually have one. Even if it's on your arm ... "HE CAME AT ME WITH A KNIFE AND I WAS HOLDING THIS HAT ... THE HAT SAVED ME FROM A SERIOUS GOUGE ..."

Duck

Practically Family
Looks great, Barry!!!!!!:eusa_clap
I would not worry about the hole, you will more than likely be the only one who knows it is there;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy