Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Vintage Richman Steins Fedora

A

Ande1963

I got this one in yesterday, and I'm really thrilled with it. I didn't really know what to expect, having no familiarity with the brand (a search here didn't tell me much). I bought it mainly because it was the right size.

It's a very nice hat... maybe my new favorite gray fedora. I love the crossgrain trim on the brim. The brim itself is very easy to manipulate. There are a few minor creases on the ribbon, and a couple of nibbles in the felt, but it's ready to wear and enjoy. Both band and liner are in great shape.

Does the cellophane liner top, broad ribbon and lack of a feather date this to the late forties?

Anyway, I'm pleased to be wearing it right now!

Crown height- 4 and a quarter
Ribbon width- 2
Brim width- 2 and an eighth

Anj

richman.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
Nice, nice, I like it. I was going to go for it but was out of funds at the time. There's a new surge of 7 5/8 seekers!

Ande1963 said:
Does the cellophane liner top, broad ribbon and lack of a feather date this to the late forties?

That lettering style on the liner looks more like late '50s/early '60s to me. But, you know, that's just a guess.

A

Ande1963

tonyb said:
That lettering style on the liner looks more like late '50s/early '60s to me. But, you know, that's just a guess.

Yeah. You may be right. That's what I figured when I bought it. The cellophane liner top, though, made me think otherwise. Maybe they did those later than I think.

I dunno.

Anj

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Very nice hat!

Richman Steins is actually what lead me to the Lounge. I was searching for information about them after receiving my first hat from my grandfather. I came across the Lounge but, like you, did not find much information about the brand. I did, however, learn much more about hats, classic style, and Golden Era culture.

Wear your new hat well...it looks good on you!

J.B.

Practically Family
Richman Steins...

Check out Paragraph four of this article in the Monday, Aug. 17, 1959 TIME Magazine...

..."Largest men's wear retail chain will be formed by merger between Richman Brothers Co. (118 stores in North and Midwest) and Stein's Stores Inc. (90 stores in South and Southeast)."

Richman Brothers had a huge retail store in the Kansas City/Heart of America area in the Fifties when I was growing up. :) It's just a guess on my part but since their apparel and hats were labelled with the store's brand name -- the hats were most likely manufactured for them by one of the "regular" hat companies. A "possible" pre-merger supplier could have been Stevens out of St. Joseph, Missouri??!

Accordingly, if your Richman Steins was the same retailer as this article is discussing -- your lid would have a birthday from Aug. 17, 1959 forward... [huh]

D

DBFedora

As my 5 year old would say...Sweet! Looks great on you. Enjoy! :fedora:
Where are you in Kansas? I'm originally from Wichita and get to my favorite store (Hatman Jacks) whenever in town for a visit. Will be there in July and looking for a Panama for the summer.

A

Ande1963

Nice! Thanks for the great info!

That's cool, because I grew up in the KC area. I was born in '64, and I don't remember the name Richman Steins. I'll have to ask my parents about it. Cool to have an approximate date on the hat, too.

I live in Baldwin City, Kansas... about an hour away from downtown KCMO. Funny you should mention Hatman Jack, because I have three hats there now for restoration work. Just as I was getting ready to send stuff off to Optimo, I heard about Hatman Jacks, and decided to give the local guys a shot. I hope to go to Wichita next weekend to pick up the hats and look around the shop. Thread and pics will follow!

Anj

D

DBFedora

I hope you get to meet Jack. He's a great guy. He's always been extremely helpful to me. He took a lot of time with me when I bought my first dress hat, making sure it was just right for me. I couldn't have been happier with it. I now own three fedoras from him. His staff is wonderful, too. You'll love his shop. Let me know what you think about it and about his selection of panamas as well. Have a great time. :fedora:

By the way, I used to spend a couple of weeks a summer back in the late 80's as a youth camp counselor/small group leader at Baker U., so I know a little about Baldwin City. Haven't been there since then, but do go to KC every February for a music/worship/drama conference, so I drive past the exit on the interstate. Should stop next year and see what I remember. (Nice to know there are others gents my age who share the same interest in hats, too.)

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24