Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My sons (surprise) B3 from Aero

gruvi

Familiar Face
Young man's got a good face, and the B-3 fit looks really good! Was he able to layer underneath? If yes, then he may just own that jacket a long, long time. It is going to look sweet after some years pass. Well done :)

Young man's got a good face, and the B-3 fit looks really good! Was he able to layer underneath? If yes, then he may just own that jacket a long, long time. It is going to look sweet after some years pass. Well done :)

Thank you. It's a tad large - which is good. He can layer, so I'm "hoping" it will last him. Thanks for the compliments. He's a smart kid, but he got picked up by Hedi Slimane (of Dior) and he's been modeling since last fall. This was a chance thing that happened last year while at the Rose Bowl swap meet. He did a shoot last week (wish I could post them up) for a new line of clothing and the pics are wonderful. I'm not big into this sort of thing, but he's got a good head on his shoulders and I think he can do well with it while keeping his studies, etc. intact. Thank god he doesn't look like me! It skips generations they say... lol

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
ben-1.jpg

Throwing your well dressed son to the wolves, eh? Well, best of luck. The fashion industry is ruled by psychopaths and served by psychophants. As with any industry, there are genuinely good people in between these two extremes, to be sure, but they usually find themselves at a disadvantage, especially if they have things like self-respect, honor, a desire to do good deeds for the sake of merely being good, a heart, and a soul.

If your son is currently at an impressionable age, the chances are great that he will learn some very bad life habits, indeed, even if he does not model for long. Those who rule the fashion industry view models as horses, to be broken, trained, and then discarded--that is, unless the models one day rise to become "bronco busters" themselves.

'Tis better to wear horsehide for fun, than to become a working clothes horse for money.

Even an amateur model is confronted with the reality of life near the bottom of a pecking order where soul-suckers rule the roost, and often take pleasure in destroying that which is decent and good.

To quote Hunter S. Thompson: "The [fashion industry] is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

This said, the jacket is a fine one and you have impeccable taste in both jackets and gifts. I'm sure your son will grow into that jacket over the next few years as his shoulders fill out. If he has as much sense as you say, then he will be proud to wear such a fine jacket for decades to come. In fact, he may even "rediscover" it, after he is a father of his own. Right about then, it just might transform itself from a gift into an heirloom. Such is the power of old-world craftsmanship in a new age of disposable fashion, when most things, even with Dior-size price tags, are rarely made to last.

hunter.jpg

Last edited:
Hey HD,
Didn't throw him - he jumped, or was pulled in. Thanks for the words of caution - if I remember correctly, your wife is in the industry? I'll keep your thoughts in mind, and maybe even pass them to my son. As a parent, there's a fine balance between getting involved and letting them live their own lives. He's 19 now, so he gets guidance, but as you can imagine, he's gonna do what he's gonna do. He's infinitely more level-headed than I was at that age, so you hope you done good and they make the right choices.
His mother will probably be the gatekeeper as she was an actress and has been in the motion picture biz all her life. I've watched her traverse that nightmare of a field, and she's pretty tough.
I do appreciate the info. One has to be careful of the wolves.

SB

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I thought he was much younger. My mistake. Great jacket! Yes, I have indirectly been involved in the industry in the past. Not any more, thank God. Cheers.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
If your son is already into his 19th year, I would send that jacket back pronto and get a better fit. It's too big for him. Just my three cents. If you want him to keep wearing it, get him one that fits, especially if he's a model and knows about what a good fit really means. He is swimming in that jacket.

Considering where you live in a warm climate, if he's going to continue to live in sunny CA, I would consider opting for a lighter jacket that he will wear more often, perhaps a sealskin goat that will make his friends jealous with a retro look that the big name fashion designers can't touch because they are impatient and unwilling to stick to the details of the era for ego reasons. That's what usually kills $3,000 leather jackets from the big names. They simply overdo everything and do not pay enough homage to the era that they are imitating.

Here are a few of my suggestions:
--A medium weight tan antiqued HH in a high-cut style (with belt) such as the trail rider and a yellow or gold soft cotton lining.
--A deerskin (that is actually steer leather, if I'm not mistaken, on Aero's site) Motorcycle jacket with brass hardware and red satin lining. With kids, you always have to consider the tastes of the pack they are running in. It makes a big difference. The contrast of cream-colored deer and biker is distinctive and different, mixing genres in a way that would attract the attention of designers, etc. The deerskin is very soft and comfortable for three-season wear.
--A sealskin goat 1930's half belt that is custom tailored to your son's PRECISE measurements (get him measured professionally by a friend in the industry) with a fit that is designed to basically wear a t-shirt underneath without sweaters or anything, like Griffin's zipper-sleeved HWM. the 1930's is distinctive because it has a V-front that is low and a raised back, very unusual today and eye-catching in the fashion industry.

You're obviously a great dad for caring so much to get your son the very best. Kudos to your parenting skills! The motorcycle jackets were really big last year. This year, it's more cafe racer jackets and weird blends.

Here's a helpful link or two:
http://www.gq.com/fashion-shows/F2012/paris/fashion-week-fall-2012-trends-leather-jackets
http://www.esquire.com/the-side/style-guides/fall-leather-jackets-for-men-6514488#slide-1
The Belstaff Mojaves were also very popular last year. They are all on sale now for around $300. A real steal that looks great on a thin build. The waxed cotton mojave is also very hip.

Last edited:
It's fine. He is growing by the day - like me, he didn't sprout until late. And lets be honest, you and I are worlds apart on fit lol
Most of his clothes fit him tightly. It's in, and he likes it. In cold weather however, that jacket is perfect when he has it layered. I wanted it to last after he stops getting taller (one inch in the last year, like me at that age) and puts on weight - and he will.
He has almost as many jackets as I do. They all fit him snugly. But the downside is that when he gets bigger, they'll have to go, or be put away for his kids.
My father has ranches in WI and CO. The B-3 won't be an every day jacket here, but when he needs one, that's the one he'll have.
I got him a LW Half Belt last year that's trim, and he has many others from WWI era that we have found and that belonged to my grandfather (oddly the same size at this point)

It looks like he's being outfitted now by the "pros" so it's probably time for me to step back - although that doesn't mean I won't get him something else :)
Thanks for the links - I'll check them out. Always open to new things!

*Edit. Lots of mil-inspired stuff out there. Only a couple "I" like, but nice to see the homage to great past designs being appreciated by youth. OTOH, my son hates that stuff (although he may have to wear some) and loves the vintage or repro items. I'm not much for what passes as fashion. Classics for this old dog.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner