Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystery "A2" jacket

fnoprx

Familiar Face
Found this jacket a while ago. No labels, looks like a slightly A-2 inspired civilian jacket. Chunky Conmar zipper, one piece back. The lining (a gold coloured nylon) could be a replacement, and the cuffs seem almost new. The size is roughly a 40 or 42.

Can anyone ID/date this one?

Also, I am thinking of selling it, so any ideas as to a fair FL price are welcome. The overall condition is great, zipper works excellently.

20121111150808.jpg

20121111150921.jpg

20121111150837.jpg

20121111150958.jpg

20121111150827.jpg

20121111151056.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
Certainly similar to the Aero "Happy Days", but not quite the same. I guess lots of companies have made 'em

Here's the Aero for comparison. Alot of detail differences...:D
happy20days20p120copy.jpg

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Found this jacket a while ago. No labels, looks like a slightly A-2 inspired civilian jacket. Chunky Conmar zipper, one piece back. The lining (a gold coloured nylon) could be a replacement, and the cuffs seem almost new. The size is roughly a 40 or 42.

Can anyone ID/date this one?

Also, I am thinking of selling it, so any ideas as to a fair FL price are welcome. The overall condition is great, zipper works excellently.

20121111150808.jpg

20121111150921.jpg

20121111150837.jpg

20121111150958.jpg

20121111150827.jpg

20121111151056.jpg

Do you still have this for sale? If not, does anyone know where I can get one?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You won't get that model (it's a generic 1950's and I imagine unknown version of a civilian A2) but you can get a brand new one that's similar. Try Ariel Star. Good gear.

ARIEL STAR.jpg

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
You won't get that model (it's a generic 1950's and I imagine unknown version of a civilian A2) but you can get a brand new one that's similar. Try Ariel Star. Good gear.

View attachment 20766

Hi Seb,

Thank you so much for the guidance. I have sent an email to ARIEL STAR to ask about having one made exactly as pictured in your post. You ROCK!!!

Cheers,
Dave

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just what I was going to suggest! Ariel Star's jacket are really nice - they've carved themselves a great niche for themselves.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
the position of those pockets is similar to the WWII tanker jacket. The military wasn't really wanting you to have your hands in them.
As for the jacket in the thread, you can tell by the stitch lines the zip is a replacement. My guess one of the generic jackets made for department stores in the '50's-'60's

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
What is Aerial Star's fit like, generally speaking? or do they only do custom work? I'm thinking of G&B, for example, which some people, myself included, seem to have to go down 2 sizes to fit right.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
What is Aerial Star's fit like, generally speaking? or do they only do custom work? I'm thinking of G&B, for example, which some people, myself included, seem to have to go down 2 sizes to fit right.

True to size I'd say. Maybe with the slightest bit of room, but I'd be hesitant to size down.

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
g-r-e-a-t, this thread fueled me to spend more money, ordering a jacket from "Aerial Star" -- same jacket, but in "seal." =) Looks like a nice jacket to knock-around-town in...

Last edited:

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Looks like the Aero "Happy Days" model jacket.

Hello!

This is Aero's "1950 Flight Jacket" but without the flap pockets. Looks like their "Happy Days" and your "Mystery Jacket":

(Picture removed)

Kind regards,

Johannes

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Looks good Johannes. Spot on fit.
Aerial Star.... rising star! Don't think anyone could go wrong there.

Edward

Bartender
Hello!

This is Aero's "1950 Flight Jacket" but without the flap pockets. Looks like their "Happy Days" and your "Mystery Jacket":

Kind regards,

Johannes

Is that one a plain back, like an A2? I think the Happy Days is a somewhat looser fit, closer to a Hgihwayman with wasit knit and outer sleeve-knits? I considered something like this at a time, before I picked up my Apprentice-Made Highwayman.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Just what I was going to suggest! Ariel Star's jacket are really nice - they've carved themselves a great niche for themselves.

Thanks again guys!

Is the Aerial Star VINTAGE A-2 with SLASH POCKETS an authentic example of what was available to the public in the early 50s?

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Is that one a plain back, like an A2? I think the Happy Days is a somewhat looser fit, closer to a Hgihwayman with wasit knit and outer sleeve-knits? I considered something like this at a time, before I picked up my Apprentice-Made Highwayman.

Yes, plain back - one piece of leather ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy