Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAME that Leather Jacket! Jack London...

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
401368_361724750510320_100000183931025_1740589_115508394_n.jpg

probably some custom san fran job...johnson leather perhaps? whatever, he wears it well!

Peacoat

Bartender
Hard to keep the hair straight on a sailboat. Looks like he is reading; I thought he was a writer?

May be a police jacket/coat of some type. The badge holder is a giveaway.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I often wondered about that jacket over the years. There are better, less cropped photos that show the whole jacket. It's 1914and he's sitting on the deck of his boat, the Roamer, with a navigation book.

Last edited:

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
def cool...but what loox like a badge holder (sorry for the contradict pcote) is actually there on every jacket closure...looks like the push through hardware to hold the closures in place, which with the collar, make it look like a sea navigation style jacket to humble litto me.

of course he could have been a cop with a lot of badges ; 1

Last edited:

Tony B

One of the Regulars
I am no expert on old american stuff but it looks like an old rubber firefighters "turnout" jacket that I have seen in the past but with the big clasps replaced by something a bit smaller.

Peacoat

Bartender
def cool...but what loox like a badge holder (sorry for the contradict pcote) is actually there on every jacket closure...looks like the push through hardware to hold the closures in place, which with the collar, make it look like a sea navigation style jacket to humble litto me.

So what are "closures?" I admit, the collar doesn't look very much like a police jacket to me. Just looked at the jacket again, and I see what you mean. There is also one barely visible on the jacket just above his right hand. OK, they are "closures."

pipvh

Practically Family
I agree with Tony B - looks like a rubber fireman's turnout coat. Something about the seams and the texture doesn't look like leather...

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
the mystery of jack london

the mystery lives on. rubber fireman's jacket would make sense since he's apparently on a boat. my bad for posting this as a leather jacket. but not as bad as pcote :p

p.s. this thread has offered me no closure on this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran