Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with highwayman sizing

Webafile

One of the Regulars
Ok, so Front Quarter Horse Hide or CXL Steerhide could be good options.

Kind of want a FQHH, as I have a Schott horse hide(bought it to size and the lost a bunch of weight so gave it to my brother) as well as a Schott cow hide that I'm currently using.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
It's probably best to get to know what your key measurments are - what do you need for a good fit pit to pit, arm, and back lengths. Sometimes a jacket seems to be a good fit but the sleeves or length is too short or long.

Once you know your key measurements you can compare all jackets to what you need rather than take a punt. In a HWM I fit a 38 or 40 depending as they vary a bit. Generally the advice from Thurston Bros is that this pattern fits a size or two larger than labled. I am 187cm, 86 kilos (six two and 187 pounds). For example, In just about any jacket avaialble I need 23 inches pit to pit and the HWM in 38 is generally 23 inches.

Wow I'm surprised a size 38 and you're 6 foot 2. Are you athletic or slim build?

The HWM is almost it’s own sub forum on how to size one. You absolutely need to measure a jacket that fits you well and use that as the determining factor (about size but also if you even really want a HWM). I can tell you that if you are looking for something that will highlight an athletic physique, the HWM will disappoint. There is almost zero taper, very boxy.

I think keeping it short in the body is a good idea. When it’s too long it quickly becomes a leather tube of sorrow. I thought I could beat this pattern by going with a premier HWM and further tapering the waist. I failed. It was still a tube. Pulling in the belts created a bulbous tube. I would need a 40” I suspect in the standard fit. I chose a 44” premier (I am 5’11 210lbs). I think the only real difference is sleeve circumference and arm hole height (the premier being smaller and higher). There are members here who have done quite well with the pattern. @Psant25 has two that are really perfect fits.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
Plus the front rides up on the regular pattern.
If you’re athletic, go for a Sheene/ Hywayman hybrid like @technovox. His looks and fits great!
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-jacket-aero-sheene-crossed-with-aero-highwayman.93825/

I don't need a jacket that would show off athletic build as I prefer something that will look classy for a long time not just while I'm younger lol.

But that jacket does look nice. Kind of out of my budget can't afford a new one which is why I'm looking for used lol.

There are many great and “classy” jackets, especially in Japan. This Joe McCoys is awesome: (try for one used)

https://www.realmccoys.co.jp/catalog/products/detail.php?product_id=4496
AF346375-81B1-461D-AE52-A3AE4AFB9592.jpeg

6A807DEA-2CAC-43B1-8FA8-7881DCC13472.jpeg

Webafile

One of the Regulars
There are many great and “classy” jackets, especially in Japan. This Joe McCoys is awesome: (try for one used)

https://www.realmccoys.co.jp/catalog/products/detail.php?product_id=4496
View attachment 236478
View attachment 236479

I have been keeping an eye on those as well but strangle they have not as many used ones that would fit me, because they are made in Japan so they are more Japanese sized which means not as full in the chest or sleeve length.

I have also been keeping an eye out for, real macoy, flat head, lost world along with few other that I have to check my bookmarks for.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
I would seriously try to find somewhere to “try one on” before buying a highwayman. A couple of guys make them look great, but there are many costly mistakes too. Maybe you can contact Aero Japan.
https://aeroleatherclothingjapan.com/stock-models/riders/highwayman

I looked into doing just that until I found it it's a 3 and a half hour drive by car, and I don't have a car here in Japan. Public transportation is not an option as they are located far from any station

dan_t

Practically Family
The Highwayman is a great jacket, but as been already stated - reasonably difficult to get a perfect fit.
I’m a 42 in all of my Aero’s but have a 38 in my highwayman. In all honesty, I’d love to swap it for a 40.
p.s. similar sized to yourself. 185cm, around 92 kgs, reasonably fit.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Or you can visit one of the Aero retailers in Japan, e.g. Ueno Tokyo. That one also stock LW and many other brands.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
The Highwayman is a great jacket, but as been already stated - reasonably difficult to get a perfect fit.
I’m a 42 in all of my Aero’s but have a 38 in my highwayman. In all honesty, I’d love to swap it for a 40.
p.s. similar sized to yourself. 185cm, around 92 kgs, reasonably fit.

What other Aero's do you have?

dan_t

Practically Family
A couple.
Basically, I’ve either got, or had Aero’s based on the following patterns;
Highwayman, Cafe Racer, Board Racer, 1930’s Slim fit half-belt & Sunburst. pretty much a size 42 in all, barr the Highwayman.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
A couple.
Basically, I’ve either got, or had Aero’s based on the following patterns;
Highwayman, Cafe Racer, Board Racer, 1930’s Slim fit half-belt & Sunburst. pretty much a size 42 in all, barr the Highwayman.

What has been your favorite?

dan_t

Practically Family
That’s a very subjective question. Keep in mind that whatever fits one body shape won’t necessarily fit another. the Board Racer is currently my favourite, although the sunburst is a very close second.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
That’s a very subjective question. Keep in mind that whatever fits one body shape won’t necessarily fit another. the Board Racer is currently my favourite, although the sunburst is a very close second.

Fair enough, I think I might have found a shop that has Aero leather jackets that I can try on for size and then keep looking.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
So I gone and did something stupid.......maybe? I bought a 50s half belt size 40 in FQHH. After asking for measurements, which seemed to be larger then the size 40 should be unless they were measured poorly? I will hopefully have photos with how well or horribly it fits in the next few days

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Looking forward to see your fit pics. The 50’s half belt fits big for its label size afaik, it’s not intended to be a slim fit.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
So I gone and did something stupid.......maybe? I bought a 50s half belt size 40 in FQHH. After asking for measurements, which seemed to be larger then the size 40 should be unless they were measured poorly? I will hopefully have photos with how well or horribly it fits in the next few days

It'll size pretty much exactly to a Highwayman in relation to tagged size to actual measurements. Congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner