Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with highwayman sizing

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I hope it works out for you! Keep positive! At least you'll get to look over an Aero, try it out, and get a feel for FQHH - that's a win in and of itself. As you can see they are not hard to move here or on ebay as well. Hope it fits much better than you expect... :)

Webafile

One of the Regulars
So the half belt came in and the sleeves are a little short for my liking. Looks like I measured a little lower on my shoulder because it should fit better I think.

Attachments

• 20200526_150708.jpg
    20200526_150708.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 775
  • 20200526_150721.jpg
    20200526_150721.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 780
  • 20200526_150749.jpg
    20200526_150749.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 888
  • 20200526_150803.jpg
    20200526_150803.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 772
  • 20200526_150331.jpg
    20200526_150331.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 799

skybert

One of the Regulars
Yup, the sleeves look short. The body length isn't too bad, but is also a bit short for my liking. You look tall and built, so no wonder. Is it tight in the shoulders? Body width and shoulders look good, but only you know how it feels on.

I'd take the measurements of this jacket, add the desired length and use these approximate measurements to buy either a used jacket or a custom one. These pictures come in handy if you choose the latter. Good luck :)

dan_t

Practically Family
I’d add at least 2” to that sleeve length, plus at least an inch to the body. BUT the critical thing is how YOU feel wearing it. We all have different preferences & what one person likes, the next may not.
This is a good starting point from which you can ultimately work towards your perfect jacket.
As you e bought this used, you stand a very good chance of recouping those funds. It looks like a nice jacket, just not your jacket.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Yep, too bad on this one, pass it along and look for one that fits your build better. Agree a bit short torso.body, sleeve 2" and shoulders, Pit to Pit off a bit. Might be a good idea to find a suit shop in your area and get measured. Take the jacket you and they can help determine what dimensions you may need. Family run, independant shops thrive on this sort of thing.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
An update, found a size 42 that I just picked up waiting for it to get here and will try around and sell the 40. Might have to wait for winter for it to go well maybe. Cause of right now have $750 tied up in 2 jackets lol. Picked size 40 for $350 and the 42 $400 but as long as the size 42 sits a bit better I will be happy.

Will updated with more photos once it gets here.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
So the search is complete. At least for now lol with the size 42 sitting fairly decently on me. Would want the sleeves to be half an inch longer maybe but overall happy with it. Not sure if it's a really old jacket (because it uses the white tag) or if newer one and the white tag was requested. But I did clean it up a bit and conditioned it with some obinofs because it was a little dry in a few places

Attachments

• 20200713_055134.jpg
    20200713_055134.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 582
  • 20200713_055140.jpg
    20200713_055140.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 589
  • 20200713_055147.jpg
    20200713_055147.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 590
  • 20200713_055341.jpg
    20200713_055341.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 589
  • 20200713_055351.jpg
    20200713_055351.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 601
So the search is complete. At least for now lol with the size 42 sitting fairly decently on me. Would want the sleeves to be half an inch longer maybe but overall happy with it. Not sure if it's a really old jacket (because it uses the white tag) or if newer one and the white tag was requested. But I did clean it up a bit and conditioned it with some obinofs because it was a little dry in a few places

Fits you great and even though I'd personally prefer the sleeves to be a bit longer on my jacket, they don't appear too short at all. The jacket is very nice, too. You look cool in this HWM!

Webafile

One of the Regulars
Fits you great and even though I'd personally prefer the sleeves to be a bit longer on my jacket, they don't appear too short at all. The jacket is very nice, too. You look cool in this HWM!

Thanks, now have to stay away from looking at the half belts because now that I have a size 40 that does not fit kind of want to get a size 42 lol

Edward

Bartender
As other have said, The HWM can be a tricky one to get right if it's not what you're looking fo. I've seen all too many people try and adapt / downsizea HWM in order to get aneater fitting jacket, but the ting is that it is boxy by design. I went down one on my usual Aero size to a 42, and it's stil la little boxier than half belt, butg that's how it is supposed to be.

Another option is the Original 59er HWM, which is just a smidge neater in fit.

FWIW, Aero do do the standad HWM as a stock model, so it might be possible to contact them to determine what they have available - assumnig new is an option.

So I gone and did something stupid.......maybe? I bought a 50s half belt size 40 in FQHH. After asking for measurements, which seemed to be larger then the size 40 should be unless they were measured poorly? I will hopefully have photos with how well or horribly it fits in the next few days

The 50s HB is a similar fit to the HWM at the shoulders, but much trimmer at the waist, if not quite as much so as the pre-war designs.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Most of the time when a Highwayman does fit well it's because the person is wearing a jacket two sizes smaller than their 'normal' size. As Thruston Bros recommends - get a 38 if you are unusually a 42. Given that a 38 HWM has a pit-to-pit of 23 inches, that's some great advice. A 42 has a 25 inches pit to pit. The measurments speak for themselves. I have seen a few thinner people size them this to great success. Personally it is not a pattern I would ever gamble with, I would try a Permier HWM over their standard.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a Premier in my usual tagged size (38) and it fits right-on.

The whole point of the Premier line is to fit trim, as I understand it. Although most Premier jackets I have seen have the Highwayman problem in reverse - I have to go up two sizes.

Webafile

One of the Regulars
My 'honest' opinion is that the jackets both have obviously 'very short' sleeves and body. Is this the way you prefer your jackets to fit..??
No I would prefer longer sleeves but don't want to go bigger size because they it would be to big. That's the problem with not being able to try one on. The store where I live said that because of Corona they don't except to allow people to try on clothes untill October the earliest

Webafile

One of the Regulars
As other have said, The HWM can be a tricky one to get right if it's not what you're looking fo. I've seen all too many people try and adapt / downsizea HWM in order to get aneater fitting jacket, but the ting is that it is boxy by design. I went down one on my usual Aero size to a 42, and it's stil la little boxier than half belt, butg that's how it is supposed to be.

Another option is the Original 59er HWM, which is just a smidge neater in fit.

FWIW, Aero do do the standad HWM as a stock model, so it might be possible to contact them to determine what they have available - assumnig new is an option.

There in is the problem have not seen any of those come up in my size 42/44 but yes would love to try one on. But at this point even if it's not perfect fit in still happy with the leather and how I feel in it. Was wondering if they do post order sleeve extensions maybe changing to button style. Now that would be something I could throw $100 at other wise will have to be happy with what I have right now.

The 50s HB is a similar fit to the HWM at the shoulders, but much trimmer at the waist, if not quite as much so as the pre-war designs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points