Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some advice on an Akubra

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok I have been trolling around for days on the lounge trying to decide where to spend my next little chunk of hat money. A custom does not seem to be a possibility right now and I have been seeing Akubras popping up everywhere and want some advice. I would like to know a few styles that you guys think may fit my facial features. I am also curious which dealer to go with as I have found three online. I almost pulled the trigger on a camp draft tonight but I saw the brim is nearly 3 inches and fear it may look silly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is one of the few pics of me without a hat if that helps
112911151848-2-1.jpg

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Campdraft....
while the wide brim may be a bit too much*.
I havent seen anyone that the Campdraft did not look good on.
Brim as is.

I have come to favor a more narrow brim....
All of my CDs have been trimed to 2 5\8s.
My new Campdraft will have a 2 5\8s bound brim.

Please take into account that is with a full crown such as the Campdraft offers.

* I think everyone looks better in a 2 1\2 to a 2 3\4 brim....

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thank you very much for the advice. The problem I am having is finding that nice little middle ground between a more casual hat and a dress hat. They have some awesome dress hats but those I have. I want something I can wear around town a little easier but at the same time not look like a cowboy lol. Wish I would have gotten in on that custom campdraft while it was going on

RBH

Bartender
I still say a Campdraft.
Price wise you cant beat it.
Casual if you want yet you can also dress it up.

Here is an old shot of my mid brown Campdraft...since trimmed to 2 5\8s.
But kinda dressed up.

011pzg.jpg

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
Sam at EA will fix you up and Bluegrass green is one very special colour. Looking at your photo I think you can pull of a wider brim. Being an open crown you can adjust that to your liking. I am 6 ft tall and weigh 175 lbs with a thin face and I spend most days in a CD. The only one I sometimes think comes across as big is the silver belly, but the taupe fawn, bluegrass green are fine. I have a taller crown on the silverbelly so that makes the entire hat seem larger. Still love the hat and wear it often, especially on those sunny fall days.

I receive more compliments for the BG CD than any other hat I own. By the end of January my herd of CD's will expand again. I really do love those thin ribbon hats. Can't get enough of them.

,,,Mike

EggHead

Practically Family
The way I bash CD and other Akubras and most other fedoras that I have is:
While crown is open,
Spray cold filtered water on the crown liberally, let the streaks run down the sink.
Use fingers to spread the water around and help it sink in.
Put down and let it soak in for 20-30 minutes.
The whole crown should be moist at this time.
Then start the bash.

Generally I make a center dent and measure front and back height of the crown, I like front to be higher 4.5 : back 4 inches, but you may want it higher.
Then start pushing center in to shape a diamond and forming a ridge with our fingers, if it's not looking right I just reshape.
Once the diamond is shaped, the "floor" is even more or less and front dents are made, dry it.

This is optional:
Then wet it again and start pushing the top of the crown up to form a dome.
Keep pressing the top edges to retain crown height and shape.

Put it on your head so that it's comfortable and wear it until it dries.

Last edited:

tealseal

A-List Customer
Thank you egghead I will def give it a try. This will be my first unbashed purchase so I hope I can pull it off

A 3" brim will seem daunting at first, and it might not "look right" when you first put it on because you're not used to seeing those proportions on you. However, you'll grow used to it and will be wearing the hat in now time (as opposed to the hat wearing you). It happened to me when I went from my 2" brim Stetson to the Fed IV; the hat wore me for about a week. Now, I don't have that hat anymore, and only wear 2.5" to 3" brim hats. I don't miss the stingy at all.

WRT bashing, I agree with egghead. However, since it's your first time and Akubras are pretty bulletproof, I'd consider dry-bashing the hat first before you go for water/steam. This will give you some time to play with the bash before making it permanent - once you set it with moisture, it's a pain to reverse it. My Fed went through about 5 different dry creases before I decided on one. Then, I wet the crown, and refined it from there.

As to style, my Fed is creased with a centre dent and some long side creases, based on the Meadowlark from Black Sheep Hatworks. However, for my CD (when it comes in January), I'm going to try a diamond or a centre crease with no pinches.

Wear it in good health, sir.
-TS

The way I bash CD and other Akubras and most other fedoras that I have is:
While crown is open,
Spray cold filtered water on the crown liberally, let the streaks run down the sink.
Use fingers to spread the water around and help it sink in.
Put down and let it soak in for 20-30 minutes.
The whole crown should be moist at this time.
Then start the bash.

Generally I make a center dent and measure front and back height of the crown, I like front to be higher 4.5 : back 4 inches, but you may want it higher.
Then start pushing center in to shape a diamond and forming a ridge with our fingers, if it's not looking right I just reshape.
Once the diamond is shaped, the "floor" is even more or less and front dents are made, dry it.

This is optional:
Then wet it again and start pushing the top of the crown up to form a dome.
Keep pressing the top edges to retain crown height and shape.

Put it on your head so that it's comfortable and wear it until it dries.

A couple of tips to add:
Before starting put it on your head & use a paperclip on the hatband ribbon to mark the front aligned with your nose.
This will help you properly position the center pinch.
Also after the creasing is done, steam the crown to "set" the crease in. This will reactivate the shellac that is there.
HTH

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thanks man I think I am going to "attempt" the diamond. I have done teardrops in the past with some success but I think a hat of this size needs a little more bashing if that makes any sense. I dont want to crown to sit super high on my noggin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael