Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative Reactions?

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
Crabs in a bucket. Whenever one tries to climb up and out, the others pull 'im back down. If they can.

Human nature I suppose as well.

Keep doing what makes you comfortable and confident.

Crabs in a bucket--too funny! I'll remember that one! :D

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A good friend once said to me: "They mock what they don't understand".
I always remember that when I get looks or snickers from perplexed onlookers.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
You gotta take the good with the bad. Whether you dress in all vintage, or dress sharply with vintage influences, you are consciously creating a look that's not only going to stand out in a crowd, it is going completely against what is considered fashionable at the moment. For every compliment you are going to get for your unique look, you are going to to get 5 or 6 morons craking a joke. This kind of thing just comes with the territory.

Case in point.......

In Santa Barbara most of the mainstream nightlife is centered around State Street. Usually State Street is overrun with drunk over-privileged David Weintraub types, so I generally avoid it entirely and stick to the neighborhood bars in the barrio. However, every saturday night there is a great traditional jazz band that plays at the James Joyce Pub, which I usually try not to miss. A few weeks ago, I wore some buckle-back jeans with a striped "Bowery Boy" t-shirt, and a black newsboy cap. Within an hour I had some drunk middle aged D-bag in my face talking about how I looked like a mime to him. Under normal circumstances I would have responded with a stiff left hook, but I just rolled my eyes and ended up feeling pretty bad for his wife/girlfriend.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Well, at my high school, its mixed with a middle school, so I usually get some rude immature nonsense from younger kids such as "Why do you dress like that, its 2009 not 1979" (while wearing some high waisted brown Dickies trousers, a newsboy cap, some converse and a tucked in button up tan shirt) my response is, walking away. Usually kids don't mess with me, they're just trying to show off in front of their friends.
Older people its almost worse sometimes. Mostly I get positive comments on how sharp I look or how I take care of myself. Sometimes I get the "Why are you dressed like that!?" "Why are you dressed like an old person?" I usually respond with "Well, why are you dressed in some pajama bottoms, wearing flip flops and a v-neck t shirt, thinking its OK to criticize the guy actually wearing pants?" They usually just walk away or go *Uh*....
People my age in general don't get it. One of my friends always used to tease me saying whats up with you and the 50's blah blah, why do you dress like this? Gets annoying, I don't criticize him everytime I see him for his tight jeans and hoodies, why should he bag on me?
It's Los Angeles, everyone feels the need to criticize people who don't conform.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, remember what Shakespeare said: "First we kill all the lawyers."

Carlisle Blues said:

It's the same as with lobbyists. It's because they are an evil, awful, horrible brand of people.................

until you NEED one. Then they're great alluvasudden.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
Well, remember what Shakespeare said: "First we kill all the lawyers."

It's the same as with lobbyists. It's because they are an evil, awful, horrible brand of people.................

until you NEED one. Then they're great alluvasudden.

Too true. Folks like to trash lawyers, until they're stopped on a DUI, or their kid gets caught with dope in his pocket, then all they want is out, and they don't want to know how it's done.

My suggestion to the young fellow who started this thread is to practice your delivery of a variety of popular two-word retorts. Once you have mastered them, move up to three word responses. Then, when you feel confident, take the LSAT's.

Kermez

A-List Customer
Anachronism said:
when they make dumb comments just be like "well, that's why I'm a lawyer, and you're just a clerk/secretary/intern/mail boy"

Oh, fear, not, if I were a lawyer, I tell them to stfu (sorry, but it's true).

I am a PARALEGAL.

(You get an "A" for effort, though! Thanks. :D )

Kermez

A-List Customer
resortes805 said:
In Santa Barbara most of the mainstream nightlife is centered around State Street. Usually State Street is overrun with drunk over-privileged David Weintraub types, so I generally avoid it entirely and stick to the neighborhood bars in the barrio. However, every saturday night there is a great traditional jazz band that plays at the James Joyce Pub, which I usually try not to miss. A few weeks ago, I wore some buckle-back jeans with a striped "Bowery Boy" t-shirt, and a black newsboy cap. Within an hour I had some drunk middle aged D-bag in my face talking about how I looked like a mime to him. Under normal circumstances I would have responded with a stiff left hook, but I just rolled my eyes and ended up feeling pretty bad for his wife/girlfriend.

Stiff left hook ftw, Tough Guy! :eusa_clap

BtW - Santa Barbara? Do you know Shawn and Gus? :D

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Kermez said:
BtW - Santa Barbara? Do you know Shawn and Gus? :D

haha! Actually, Psych is filmed up in Canada! It's always funny when they mention actual streets in Santa Barbara and the filming locations look way off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy