Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New fedora on HatsDirect!

Danosaurus

New in Town
Just noticed this added to their fedora section:

Akubra "The Fedora"

I have seen this on Akubra's website, but haven't found any shops selling it until now. Looks pretty nice, though there aren't any specs or dimensions on the website yet.

Says they're taking pre-orders for shipment in late May.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's a nice looking hat. I like it better than the Stylemaster I got for my cousin, with one exception. I'd like a bound edge on it.

Good find

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Hmmm...I'd totally forgotten about that... I may not know much...but I know that I love that carbon grey.... This is almost like torture!!!

Regards, Daryl.

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Its got to be.

It seems to fit the cryptic description of the Michealson's mystery hat. Decent crown height, slightly smaller brim but very classy. I like it indeed.

Kilgour Trout

Michaelson

One Too Many
That's it! Mine arrived Saturday, is brown like the Deluxe, has a lower crown, and a 2 1/2" brim, and after some messing around, styled quite well in a late 1920's, early 1930's hat style. The felt is supposed to be in the Imperial range, but has the soft feel of my PBBM, but Ron said it fell between the Fed and the Fed Deluxe for texture. Feels denser to me. It has a red liner, and a very soft leather sweatband (softer than any of the Feds I've received to date.) I had to put my stretcher inside to pull it to a long oval (standard practice for this writer), and will have a better idea of the hat feel on head tonight. I do not like the ribbon width. Though nice, it's just a bit to narrow for my taste, and the wind trolley is pretty worthless. As a matter of fact, the one on mine was broken and hanging off the hat, and the button was rattling around in the bottom of the box! I removed the rest of the string with no problem, but that's not a good recommendation for a 'safety feature', especially when it doesn't even make it out of the box the first time!
My wife gave it a big 'thumbs up' after I performed my styling changes on the hat. If you're wanting to get hold a lower crowned fedora that you can make into a Last Crusade type styling, but not have a huge brim, this one works. I'll post more after I've handled and worn it for a bit. Ron also emailed me today that they have a porkpie Akubra in the wings for sales entry next month, for those who like that style. Regards. Michaelson

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Can you post a pic?

Michealson: Any chance you could post a pic when the new creation is apon your noggin? What do you think would look better ribbon wise.....any suggestions.

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

Michaelson

One Too Many
I'll sure try. In my opinion, I think a ribbon in the inch and 3/4 range would work better for me. This one just appears to be something that was put on as an after thought, even though it does have the nice double bow we've come to expect on the higher end Akubras. Like I said, this is just MY thought on the ribbon. For others, it may be perfect. Regards. Michaelson

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Something along the Bogie width?

Michealson: Did you say the Fedora is the colour of the Fed D? Would the Fed D. ribbon colour work with a slightly thinner width of the Akubra Bogie? If Ron is getting feedback from you this would be the perfect time to refine the look so people don't have to immediately change the ribbon. I'm looking forward to see how you bashed it. The Grey styling is awfully nice...an LC twist will be interesting.

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout :D

Michaelson

One Too Many
Yes, I think so. I forwarded my thoughts to him this morning, so we'll see if they're picked up and passed along to Akubra, or we just have to make the changes as we get them. Not sure at this moment. Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Just got another email from Ron. Apparently the felt is in the Imperial standard felt line, but is kept in pre-shrinkage longer, making a much softer and denser felt than the normal Akubra line. Apparently there has been a lot of local interest in the line, so that's why it has been picked up and ordered for delivery to HatsDirect June 1st, or at least that's the date they're shooting for. Pre-orders are being taken now, though. Regards. Michaelson

Cliffhanger

New in Town
Lower crown you say?

How thin is it compared to the other Akubra's? After I sell some of my collection, I want a thinner, 2 1/2 inch brim fedora. I am considering a Borsalino, but this is my kind of proportions.

Yes, see what Ron can about the ribbon. Perhaps make it an option? I know that is a long shot since these hats are mass produced, but still...

Peace,
Cliffhanger

Michaelson

One Too Many
It compares quite favorabily to my PB Borsalino in feel and felt density. Ron is going to try and see what he can do about the ribbon, but it's all the call of the Akubra family. This is apparently a re-introduction of a pre-WW2 fedora they used to sell, so they may not budge on the ribbon question, but it is being asked about as we 'speak'. Regards. Michaelson

Cliffhanger

New in Town
Thanks, Michaelson. One more question, by short crown, what are we talking about here? 5 inches or so? It is hard to tell by the pic on hatsdirect. As far as the ribbon, I can always change it (once I learn how).

'Preciate it,
Cliffhanger

Michaelson

One Too Many
It comes open crown at 5.5 inches. I put a fairly deep center bash in mine, and it now measures exactly 5 inches in height. The ribbon is 1 inch. I think an inch and a half would be more proportional to the crown, but that's just my opinion. Regards. Michaelson

IndyBlues

New in Town
Oh man, this hat is like Manna fron Heaven. I asked about where I could find this exact type hat in another thread, and lo and behold, here it is. Amazing. I'm getting one, but I may have to change that thin ribbon out also.
Thanks Michaelson for bringing this to our attention

Michaelson

One Too Many
More than happy to, but thank Ron for keeping 'us' informed of the new stuff. I'm just the messenger (and they're usually the first ones shot!). (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Just heard from Ron regarding the question of a possible ribbon change out. The answer from Akubra was a flat 'no'. Ah well, at least we asked. If you're wanting a wider ribbon, guess we'll have to do it ourselves. Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner