Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey guys, I've been active on this forum for a little over a month now (when I got my first fedora), though I've been a member for several. People have always told me that I was odd, antisocial, a poor dresser. This is what happens when you're really smart but have ADHD-PI, a ton of movies and television to watch, a dark and twisted sense of humor, and an aversion to the company of your peers.
Well, at 19 years of age and now in the college scene, I decided I needed to change myself. Alienating yourself from people is great and all when you're young, but when you're trying to get into med school and studying in college, you really can't afford to be so self-absorbed anymore. So, after finally admitting I had a problem, I sought a plan to change myself over time, to become a better person.
This forum and the people on it have been very helpful, both because they have opened up a whole new world and perspective for me and have introduced me to a more "professional" look than the T-shirt and ballcap look.

I'm glad I found TheFedoraLounge, and I'm a better person because of it.:D :D :D :D :D

RetroLady89142

New in Town
We are not alone!

:D I am so excited to have found this wonderful place. For quite a long time I did not know anyone else who loved vintage things. I love old radio shows and the fashions. Most of all it just seems like it was a more kind time. I am looking forward to getting to know you ladys.

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
Well hello there

Hello,

What a friendly place this is. I've been dropping in every now and then for the last year or so, and I don't really know why it's taken me so long to join you folks in conversation.

I'm from 'The Old Smoke'; London, and I describe myself as a vintage obsessive/'purist' who has been dressing solely in vintage for the last 2-3 years. My era is the 40s and 50s, and it's not just about the clothes for me, but the music, culture, and more importantly history that goes along with it. I've been writing a blog Yesterday Girl for the last year or so, and that has allowed me to communicate with, and meet, vintage obsessives like myself from all over the world.

I hope I will meet many more here!

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
Hello,

What a friendly place this is. I've been dropping in every now and then for the last year or so, and I don't really know why it's taken me so long to join you folks in conversation.

I'm from 'The Old Smoke'; London, and I describe myself as a vintage obsessive/'purist' who has been dressing solely in vintage for the last 2-3 years. My era is the 40s and 50s, and it's not just about the clothes for me, but the music, culture, and more importantly history that goes along with it. I've been writing a blog Yesterday Girl for the last year or so, and that has allowed me to communicate with, and meet, vintage obsessives like myself from all over the world.

I hope I will meet many more here!

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
My name is Catherine, but you can call me Cate. I joined The Fedora Lounge just yesterday and, my, what a swell place to indulge in all things retro! I currently reside in California, in a fully-restored California Craftsman-style bungalow, circa 1913. All of those charming features from the past are still intact, including the crystal-cut doorknobs (the locks require skeleton keys), the built-in hutch, and the oh-so-small closets (which I’m tempted to expand, but wouldn’t dare!). I am very, very sentimental, and I simply adore all things 1940s…the culture, the music, the fashion, the films, and especially the social manners of the time. I enjoy reading, writing, photography, cartography, history (especially history pertaining to WWII), languages, exploring, gardening (Victory Gardens!), cooking/baking, tea and meaningful conversations. I also have a fascination for prop-driven airplanes and aviation, which I can trace to accompanying my father on his visits to old abandoned airfields, another interest of mine. I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a nerd. I have a HUGE crush on Jimmy Stewart…he’s just the sweetest, most loveable…and I enjoy listening to Rosemary Clooney and Frank Sinatra croon. Attending 1940’s USO Dinner Dances/Hangar Dances/any event with a live Big Band is pure bliss. I am equal parts realist and romantic, but, oh, that romantic….

It’s a pleasure to meet all of you ladies! I hope that we can swap lots of interesting info, including beauty tips, vintage ideas and such. It’s really great to be here! :)

Blessings to you all,
Cate

stillsparkling

New in Town
Hello everyone! First off, I'd like to say how happy I am that I found this forum! Finally, I've found someplace where other people share my passion for everything vintage. It's such a marvelous feeling to feel like you "belong" somewhere.

I first became interested in vintage from watching old movies. I adore the way the actresses dressed and did their hair and make-up. It was so classy and glamorous. I also love swing and big band music, specifically Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, Benny Goodman, and just about everyone else. :)

I'm looking forward to posting and getting to know everyone around here. :)

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
My name is Catherine, but you can call me Cate. I joined The Fedora Lounge just a day ago and, my, what a swell place to indulge in all things retro! I currently reside in California, I am very, very sentimental, and I simply adore all things 1940s…the culture, the music, the fashion, the films, and especially the social manners of the time. I enjoy reading, writing, photography, cartography, history (especially history pertaining to WWII), languages, exploring, gardening (Victory Gardens!), cooking/baking, tea and meaningful conversations. I also have a fascination for prop-driven airplanes and aviation, which I can trace to accompanying my father on his visits to old abandoned airfields, another interest of mine. I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a nerd. I have a HUGE crush on Jimmy Stewart…he’s just the sweetest, most loveable…and I enjoy listening to Rosemary Clooney and Frank Sinatra croon. Attending 1940’s USO Dinner Dances/Hangar Dances/any event with a live Big Band is pure bliss. I am equal parts realist and romantic, but, oh, that romantic….

It’s a pleasure to be here, and I’m really enjoying the Fedora Lounge experience thus far!

Blessings to you all,
Cate

littleblackcar

New in Town
I'm Alethea (Ah-LEH-thee-ah, not that it matters online) from the Houston, Texas, vicinity. Thirty-three years old, single, no kids, office assistant, etc.

I'm too hard on clothes to wear things that are actually vintage, mostly, but I sew things using old patterns. I got into that for a lot of reasons: I like to make things; modern clothes don't fit me very well, are overpriced and cheaply made, and are more revealing than I like (I'm not super into modesty, but I don't like a lot of skin hanging out); I like the styles better. I have a serious weakness for 1940's housedresses and reproduction calico prints. I always loved costumes as a kid and would wear them as regular clothing--bright dresses made from vintage patterns are sort of the adult version of that, I guess.

I'm a history geek and music addict--swing, blues, rockabilly, roots country, and all that stuff lumped under "Americana"--my "retro pasttime" in college was playing guitar in a square-dance band. Yeah, we played house dances, just like the old bands. I wish I'd been able to sew then--I could really have looked the part!

I need to work on the makeup and hair. I'm not a makeup-and-hair person by nature, and I'm a non-morning-person who has to get up early, so I'm only semi-functional in the morning, when I should be making myself presentable. My hair is currently growing out of a Louise Brooks bob and is in that awkward phase--below the chin, above the shoulders--when it's too long to look nice and too short to turn into anything. Sigh.

(Apparently I like to talk about myself, too. Sorry about the long post.)

littleblackcar

New in Town
Lenore said:
Welcome to all the new ladies. :)

And yay, Alethea! It's nice to hear from another Houstonian. :)

Oh, awesome!

Is there any sort of [semi-]organized vintage sewing community in Houston, that I just can't find? You would think we'd be a big enough city to support one . . .

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
littleblackcar said:
Oh, awesome!

Is there any sort of [semi-]organized vintage sewing community in Houston, that I just can't find? You would think we'd be a big enough city to support one . . .

I don't know of any. Maybe we should start one :). It would be a great resource. Maybe we could do a meet up at Sew Crafty in the Heights, or something.

Welcome, by the way.

JessieDollie

New in Town
Hey girls, my name's Jessie and I'm from Essex, England (which is right next to London). I'm 16 years old and would love to meet girls of similar age who are interested into the same things as me!
I've been interested in vintage fashion for the past year but have only recently started introducing it into my everyday look. I'm struggling very much with vintage hairstyles so until my practice makes perfect I usually use heated rollers and wear a flower.
I'm a huge Beatles fan and a vegetarian and quite shy and new to all of this but you seem like lovely ladies so I hope to speak to you soon.
Have a lovely day Jessie xo

lframe

One of the Regulars
New Member.

Hi,

I am Lisa and am new to the Lounge. I just found it a few days ago by accident and am in love with it. When I was a little girl, I used to sneak into my grandma's back closet and get out her dresses from the 40's and my moms from the 50's to play dress up in!

It's weird, I don't fit in very well with this era, as I have always felt like I needed to be "dressed", but fell into more conventional dress as a way of blending in. I am bringing out my inner dame and am so happy the Lounge, as well as all of you, are here as a resource!

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I guess I should say hello!
I've been lurking around for a bit now trying to find out more about vintage fashions, hairstyles and such.

I just moved to GA from Houston and have a one year old daughter who I stay at home with.

I also love to sew so I'm hoping I can make a "vintage" wardrobe that way. I've went a little crazy on ebay lately buying up vintage patterns! :)

Amy

New in Town
Hi girls (and some guys)! I'm Amy, I live and work in London, and have been collecting little vintage bits and bobs for as long as I can remember. I think it started when my aunt gave me a pair of silk nylons she's had since the 40s. She'd been saving them for a special occasion all this time... They were a big deal in England at the time.

I agree that the FL is a great resource, and that it brings together people with vintage interests that might never have met otherwise. I've already learnt alot from the old threads, and I'm looking forward to contributing myself and getting to know you all a bit better!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Hello Everyone

I have been a vintage collector for many years. Most my interest have been in the 40's and 50's but am starting to find the 30's more appealing as well. I am married with 2 energetic boys (ages 2 and 8) and am a full time teacher. I like to sew, garden, craft but don't seem to get much free time these days although more in the summer. I got interested in this sight when looking for tips on up keeping wet sets.

quirkyknitgirl

New in Town
Hello, all

Greetings, everyone! I'm new, and tiptoeing in to say hi. I've been lurking for a bit, but decided it was time to come out of the woodwork.

I've always loved vintage fashion and things but I've been a bit afraid to wear them. I was worried it would seem strange, or people would think I was odd. But I've decided it doesn't matter, and I'm hoping to start building up my retro and retro-inspired wardrobe! I am mainly drawn to the 1940s and 1950s, with occasional forays into the 1960s or 1920s when the mood strikes.

~Ivy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner