Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fredo said:
Ciao everybody. Fredo checking in here from Brooklyn, NY. I heard about this place from a friend of mine, said it was my kind of joint so here I am, Fedora in hand - I am inside after all ;).

I agree that the world is not enough. However, just put your hat down on that hat rack and pull up a chair at this table -- or any other table. Welcome to the Lounge.

Fredo

New in Town
Grazie pal, I like it around here. Think I'll stay while. Hey Doran, I wish I were in your neck of the woods next week for that Presidio Social Club event. I love SF, used take biz trips out there back in 96-99 and killed a few personal days afterwards hitting Bimbos, the Hi-Ball, Orbit Room, Cafe du Nord, and Club Deluxe. That was a special time. Would love to hang with the bay area Loungers again.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fredo said:
Grazie pal, I like it around here. Think I'll stay while. Hey Doran, I wish I were in your neck of the woods next week for that Presidio Social Club event. I love SF, used take biz trips out there back in 96-99 and killed a few personal days afterwards hitting Bimbos, the Hi-Ball, Orbit Room, Cafe du Nord, and Club Deluxe. That was a special time. Would love to hang with the bay area Loungers again.

Prego, amico. Noi tutti siamo amici in questo vicino.
A good guy to talk to is FedoraGent as is putting on the Presidio event.
I used to hang out at the Highball in the 1990s too, but I believe it is closed now. Orbit Room on Market Street is great, it's the first bar I ever went to in the "City." The same guy (Jay) owned it as Club Deluxe which is still going strong on Haight although sometimes it is closed in the afternoons. Cafe du Nord: haven't been there in a while, I used to see LaVey Smith play there often. I haven't been to Bimbo's in years; last time I was there I believe was when I saw Goldfrapp, stunning stunning show.

Whatsoldisnew

New in Town
May I introduce myself

Hey everyone,

What a great forum! I found it while researching good leather boots(which I have some info. to share on that thread that I think will interest a few!). It is through this site that I find myself in good company regarding tasteful clothing and care of.

I hope I can be a good contributor to the site.

Later,
Scott

DrMags

New in Town
Hi! *waves*
figure should officially say hullo now that Ive posted some.

I also feel as if I was born in the wrong era, although I much prefer the rights women have now, to some of the restrictions of the 30s/40s.

I've always loved big band and swing, though spent years (2 decades almost) as a single dancer (hiphop, jazz, ballet, breakdancing) so I still havent gotten up the courage to do partner dancing (swing). Can't I lead please? hehe

and now I must say goodbye too for a bit. I just graduated from pharm school, and I have national board exams and the state law exam in a week. I'm camping out at starbucks trying to cram stuff into my head. So I might be absent for awhile:coffee:

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Howdedoo

Hi everyone.

It’s great to know that here a so many great folks out there who share a love for the classics.

I’m a 48 year old 11th generation Virginian. I live in Yorktown with my wife and 8 year old daughter. I’m an Army brat and grew up all over. I’ve always had a taste for the traditional styles. I don’t wear vintage because I’m 6’4” and learned long ago that there isn’t much of anything out there for me. I do buy the most traditional cuts of clothing I can find. I have a pretty simple rule: when I go to work or church I wear a coat and tie; when I wear a coat and tie, I wear a hat.

I love the old movies and especially like swing music.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the Lounge, Mid-Fogey!

I am fairly new here myself. I have found everyone here to be friendly, warm and welcoming. I have learned so much already from the ladies and gents of the Lounge.

Enjoy your time here!

Regards,

Matt

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Hello All,

My name is Barry, and while I've been a member here since last December, I haven't been too active.

Last September I was diagnosed with an osteosarcoma, or a tumor, on my right thigh bone. In December, just before Christmas, it was necessary to have my leg amputated. Since then, I have been recovering and continuing to receive my post-surgery chemotherapy sessions. Thankfully, I've just about completed them. Two more rounds to go and I'll be all done. Should be wrapped up by October.

A little more biographical info about me....I live in Delaware (East Coast, U.S.) and have for my entire life (39 years.....Soon to be 40 on September 14th). I've been married to a most wonderful woman, Shannon, for the past 15 years, and we have two young sons, Christopher, 11, and Alex, 7.

I was raised by my grandparents, who were of "The Greatest Generation" and as a result, have always had a special affinity for all things vintage.

I am happy to be here and look forward to getting to know all of you better and, now that my health will permit, become a much more active member.

Best Regards To All......

Artdecoman

New in Town
Artist on board

Hi All,
I thought that I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself.

I'm a figurative artist from the North West of England, working mainly in the style of Jack Vettriano who portrays scenes from the 1930s to early 1960s. My own interest ranges across the 20th century with an emphasis on the Art Deco period and the 1970s- the latter I was a participant in and still can't quite get used to it now being 'historic'! :)

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who shares similar interests, especially those in the UK. If anyone has any ideas on sources for models or period costume hire do let me know.

From a social history viewpoint I find the sense of period, mood and status encapsulated by fashion, especially women's styles, very evocative of time and place.

Regards
Paul

leaette

A-List Customer
Hi gals. I'm new. Live in Pittsburgh. Just had my first baby in May. (Yes, he has a whole bag full of vintage clothing already!). My husband and I are active in WW2 reenacting. I've been doing it for 7 years now. My husband has been doing it for 13 years. I love anything from the 30's - 50's. Some 60's stuff too (before the Hippies took over!)
I collect costume jewelry. WW2 women's war worker stuff. Hair scarves mostly from the 60s. And anything else that tickles my fancy.
Oh, I also love to crochet. I have a bunch of old patterns from the 30's - 50's.
Can't wait to get to know yinz guys better :)

Miss Welsh

New in Town
Hi, I'm Sharlene. I was pulled into the fedora lounge by Teresa Wyman.
My first passion is in swing dancing, which I've done for the last 17 years, and I'm currently part of the swing team, the Hollywood Hornets!!

In the last 5 years, I've transformed into an addict of vintage dressing thanks to my best friend, Mae-Lae. My favorite era is the 30's, especially in evening wear.

Teresa thought it'd be a good idea for me to join, because I do everything from hair, make-up, clothing, and even down to the lingeries, and shoes. Nowadays I only buy vintage, so my "normal" clothes are starting to disappear.

I would love to put up a picture of me so you guys would recognize me. Can anyone tell me how to do that? (I'm not very computer savvy.)

Nice meeting everyone!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Hi Sharlene,

I was introduced to you at the Scarface showing in Glendale, by Teresa.

As long as your picture is hosted somewhere like Photobucket or another place, you merely insert it in a post using the little icon that looks like a yellow square with mountains and a moon in it......you then put the url of your picture in the pop up box ...hit enter and when you post, it will link the picture.

Welcome.

leaette

A-List Customer
Hi. I live in Pittsburgh, PA (No, I'm not a football fan but everyone else in Pittsburgh is!). I've been WW2 reenacting for 7 years now. Met my husband doing it, he's been reenacting for 13 years now. We had our 1st baby in May. I love anything vintage but I'm more into 30's -50's, but I'm kinda getting into 20's stuff lately. My great aunt died this week and she had a lot of 20s stuff so I got myself admiring it. I collect costume jewelry, ww2 women's war worker stuff, hair scarves, and anything else I can get cheaply at flea markets! :)
Nice meeting you all. I'm enjoying the lounge so far.

bwelkk

New in Town
Hi, bwelkk here.

A little about me: I'm 18 years old, living in Alberta, Canada. This September I am attending the University of Alberta and taking Engineering.

While not an expert on the "Golden Age" I do find myself attracted to Art Deco items, architecture and art. I found thefedoralounge during a google image search for "suit fedora" a few days ago. I read through some threads and decided I would register.

I have an interest in Film Noire thanks to Turner Classic Movies, where I watched "The Big Sleep" and got hooked.

I don't own any vintage clothing, and I don't think I could bring myself to wear it if I did have some. Still too self conscious I guess... :rolleyes:

Here's a drawing I did one day when I was bored in Biology. (It's not great, and the fedora is laughable.)

shadymanva2.jpg

And here's the signature I wish the forum would let me have;)

bwelkksigew8.jpg

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

Name's Dominic, 40 living in Montreal, Canada. I have a soft spot for all things retro but give me a modified DeLorean with a fully working flux capacitor, let me hit it at 88 mph and set the dial for the late twenties. Back then, I would not be the quaint gent with a nicely tailored suit and fedora lifting his hat to the ladies. Rather, I'd be wearing an engineer's outfit and be at the helm of the locomotive pulling that train you just boarded. Doesn't mean I wouldn't lift my cap for the ladies. :)

gtr.jpg

FatherTom

New in Town
Tom St.Clair is the name. I actually found this site while looking for a place my best friend and I could show off our vintage wear and still blend in. I'm a US Marine in Okinawa, Japan. My love for vintage came about through my Dad. He had a beautiful charcoal fedora that he wore constantly and is a snappy dresser to this day. "A man should always own at least one nice suit and tie," he used to say. Of course this included a nice pair of shoes as wearing anything but with a suit or slacks was deplorable in my father's home.

My personal love for 1930's-40's came from classic movies and the theater. Like a typical young man of about 10 I would have friends over. Sometimes on these visits said friend would want to watch a movie. So being the good host I would pull out one of my personal favorites, only to be rudely informed that "black and white movies suck." Well if you don't like Bogey then forget it fella!

I dress vintage whenever I can. When I'm asked why I'm dressed up I usually respond with why are you not, or I'm not I'm just not dressed like trash. Most people thought it was strange but the feeling is mutual. I just have too much style for some people to handle:p But enough about me. You'll see me around.

Feel free to contact me personally. To quote The Maltese Falcon "I like talking to a man [or lady] who likes to talk."

cioa
-His Holiness Father Tom

Flora

Familiar Face
I'm back! :D

This is more of a re-introduction, because I haven't been on here in months, BUT THANK SUPERMAN FOR THE FAVOURITES LIST. Or else I wouldn't have re-encountered this site :D

Just have to get this out of the air first: I am probably the only Arab, Armenian, or Turk here. Yes, I am Armenian and Turkish at the same time. You see, my family has hormone problems that are so severe, they even start families with their enemies. lol.
I was born in Iraq, and long story short, I'm in Canada. :D As you can see, my name is Flora, I'm 16 (hoping I'm not the youngest here, hah), I'm living in Ontario, Canada, and I very much think that North American culture is so beautiful and interesting, especially back from the 40's and 50's.
The kind of music I listen to is a good amount of Arabic music (Om Kolthoum, Najwa Karam, Fairouz, etc...), old American kind of music, and anything kind of odd and interesting, like tribal music (ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT), especially African tribal music!
Lastly, I realize that AT TIMES like any other human, I make grammar or spelling mistakes, so since English is my second language, please try to stay civilized with me and all will be well, I promise :D
Wait! Also, this is my dear idol Najwa Karam. What a lady!
2_III_rubri02.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I don't get in here enough. Welcome everyone!

BJB - your courage is an inspiration. It is impossible to imagine your journey - Godspeed in your continuing recovery.

Flora - you are probably not the only Arab or Armenian or Turk here, but probably the only one who is all three. :) Welcome to the Lounge. Oh, we frown on members who correct other's spelling or grammar. We'll just be very glad to have you sharing tales from your adventures here.

Flora

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
Flora - you are probably not the only Arab or Armenian or Turk here, but probably the only one who is all three. :) Welcome to the Lounge. Oh, we frown on members who correct other's spelling or grammar. We'll just be very glad to have you sharing tales from your adventures here.
Awww thank-you, that is very kind of you. Yup I've had some wacky adventures.... as a kid I've lived in many different places... Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey, etc.... and my family is a wide range... my Arabic backgrounds (our race has like, sub-races, haha) include Syrian, Assyrian, Chaldean, and Iraqi. My Chaldean bloodline can be traced back to witches! *badass moment* hahaha

If you plan on travelling to Lebanon, GO SEE THE TEMPLE OF JUPITER. The most beautiful place in the world! Also, if you go to Syria.... AL-RAHMAN MOSQUE is the place to be! :D I'm not Muslim but it is soooo beautiful. Lastly.... for Turkey, go to the city of Istanbul. Amazing place. And in my current home country, Niagara, Ontario is so good. :D

Lastly a confession: I always go on long-winded rants. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner