1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

New Member to the Hat Forum

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Hats Matter, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Familiar Face

Hatco may have some but I'll have to stick with the tried and true Irish flat cap straight from the source, Hanna hats Donegal, Ireland.

Winston Carter and Redfokker like this.
  2. Kane

Kane New in Town

Greeting from another new hat fan. Name is Kane from the Los Angeles area. I made an intro post in the Observation Bar, but thought I’d say hi here as well as this is where my main interest lies. I’ve been wearing hats for a long time for work, but have recently evolved into wearing nicer hats for the pleasure and style of it. My first hat other than a ball cap was a Stetson straw western that I bought many years ago replace the cheap straws that would break down after a few weeks of working outside. This hat is still with me and does double duty with my beloved Brazilian tarp hat (what I call the anti-Tilley) for working outside. Recently I have acquired a few fedoras — first a Stetson, and more recently a Barbisio. I have always wanted to wear hats like this but in my younger years I sort of lacked the self-confidence, but now I feel pretty good donning my fedora. I have collected tobacco pipes, typewriters, fountain pens, and saxophones, and I can see how one can deveplop a love for many hats. We wear many hats figuratively, so why not literally as well.

Cheers!

3. RJR

RJR

Welcome to the Lounge.

4. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Welcome aboard!
    It’s best to to just let the affliction run it’s course. Don’t fight it. Buy hats. We’re here for you!

DOGMAN, Tukwila, Redfokker and 3 others like this.
  5. Winston Carter

Winston Carter Practically Family

Welcome. Have fun collecting hats !!

Redfokker likes this.
  6. Redfokker

Redfokker

Welcome to the Fray. You will find a fine bunch of enablers here for your new addiction.

Rmccamey and Winston Carter like this.
  7. Winston Carter

I can't afford to keep up with the Jones' here. A man needs to know his limitations.:):)

hatsRme and Redfokker like this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy Call Me a Cab

I am still stumbling around trying to at least acquaint myself with a semblance of some.

Winston Carter likes this.
  9. Winston Carter

:):)

10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Welcome to the party, pal. We're here to help.

Unless you're my size, then replace "help" with "obstruct."

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

11. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It can be done on the cheap, believe me. You don't have to pay $700 for a Whippet if you're patient and persistent.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

12. Griffstar4007

Griffstar4007 New in Town

Good morning. New to the forum. Just purchased my first Stetson Stratoliner and thought I should find a forum to learn how to take care of it. Lots of info here!

Just a quick question, should I remove the “sticker” label inside the hat with the barcodes, hat info, etc., or leave it there?

Thank you...

psklenar and Winston Carter like this.
  13. Winston Carter

Welcome !! I leave my paper label in it but some take it out. As far as taking care of your hat just keep it clean and brushed. Stetson's will take a good beating. They look better to me with a little age. Gives it character.

14. Griffstar4007

Griffstar4007 New in Town

Thank you for the reply! I think I’ll just leave it in and fold it under the sweatband.

AbbaDatDeHat and Winston Carter like this.
  15. Winston Carter

I forgot to add you really don't need to buy a hat brush per se. Any soft bristled brush will do. It will keep the dust off and the fur looking good.

16. JimK

JimK New in Town

Somehow I got drooling over Sterkowski caps. I needed to remind myself - I already have a lot of hats! We'll see how long the reminder lasts!

My wife and I moved to Utah about two years ago, from New York - following her son after he got a job out here. Our house is at 4600 foot altitude - the local mountains get up around 9000 feet and more. I am quite hairless on top - hats are the answer!

[​IMG]

17. JimK

JimK New in Town

I managed to hold off about 45 minutes! Now it's a 45 day wait for a cap to arrive!

18. Winston Carter

Welcome!! Don't hold off. You can never have enough hats.:):)

19. Monavillecowboy

Monavillecowboy One of the Regulars

Leave it in. You never know when you'll forget which hat it is or what size you wear.

20. UnclePete

UnclePete New in Town

Hi All, Was a member a few years back under “SteaminPete”. That was when I was collecting a few vintage hats which I sold way prematurely looking at today’s prices. Great to be back and hope to get back into buying and
    selling again. Just purchased a new Stetson Stratoliner Silverbelly, love it. Thanks for having me.