Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new vintagey furniture

gpwpat

Familiar Face
well I am in the middle of interior decorating my house. funny how when you buy a house you can't afford furniture or have inspiration for 5 years. but finally I can do it. This weekend I am painting my master. I have had the chests and end tables for years but no bed frame have I ever liked. I just came across the martha stuart collection at Macys. WOW. the bed is getting delivered next week. finally I will be able to finish my vision of a vintage travel theamed room. Next will come steamer trunks, old suitcases donned with travel stickers and some travel posters on the walls. I will post pictures when done.

su04_26_103-H67P_l.jpg

they also have this bar. which I must have but may just copy the design and build it myself.

104-840P_l.jpg

I still need to get a large piece to put in my living room. anybody else have any links to great looking old fassioned style furniture?

After the bed room it is on to the den. My den is decorated with a great black and white exploded view of a wwii jeep, a pinup style pict of my wife and a collage of pinups and aircraft. but need some formal furniture in there or built ins. Must turn it into a library.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Same here, tough going even with the book, I must be missing some genes or something...

House & garden's complete guide to interior decoration, 1942
(best idea - draw crosshairs through middle of each room & balance/symmetry of layout on either side including walls)

temp_layout01.jpg
temp_layout02.jpg
temp_layout03.jpg
temp_layout04.jpg
temp_layout05.jpg
temp_layout06.jpg
temp_layout07.jpg
temp_layout08.jpg
temp_layout09.jpg
temp_layout10.jpg

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
temp_layout41.jpg
temp_layout42.jpg
temp_layout43.jpg

A favorite: (just need a Lauren Bacall to go in it)

temp_layout44.jpg

You could make the round & coffee tables yourself if you can work with plaster/concrete. Hope this is useful

- C H

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Cousin Hepcat, these pictures are wonderful, sigh... I want to win in the lottery. I would buy a big flat and would furnish it like in the pictures. Thank you for sharing.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
The pictures you posted are just too beautiful, Cousin Hepcat :D :D Every room is so cozy, warm and tasteful!!!!!!!!
Now I'm depressed. lol

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
LadyDeWinter said:
Cousin Hepcat, these pictures are wonderful, sigh... I want to win in the lottery. I would buy a big flat and would furnish it like in the pictures. Thank you for sharing.
HadleyH said:
The pictures you posted are just too beautiful, Cousin Hepcat :D :D Every room is so cozy, warm and tasteful!!!!!!!!
Now I'm depressed. lol
Buy the book (common / cheap on eBay), follow the formulas, pick up any pieces you might be missing at your local used or "freight-damaged furniture" type shop for pennies on the dollar (a friend got an awesome wood bed for $50), and theres always tons of used furniture w/ pics for local pickup in your most towns on http://www.craigslist.org/ - if money's tight, you can make it happen for cheap

Speaking of 40s style furniture, Havertys is a chain in many states (tho mostly southeast), but if there's one piece you want to go "new" for (like I wouldn't buy any more used upholstered furniture), most everything in there looks Golden Era for real reasonable prices for what you get. A couple examples - gonna have to replace that nasty old student-furniture-looking sofa soon, may choose one of these (a 40s contemporary style, and a classic antique style)

HVT6242.JPEG

HVT451.JPEG

...and I can just picture my 40s dream gal draped across one of these, at the bottom... :rolleyes:

HVT12050.JPEG

Elaina

One Too Many
I showed my husband the bedrooms and he said "No" and walked away.

I would LOVE my own bed. My husband is tall and sprawling and I am kind of normal, burrowing and he wakes me up all the time.

Think they really had their own beds?

We have a really small house and 2 different ideas of what we want the house to look like. Seems that until we upgrade, I'm stuck with having to compromise. One day, I will have my own bedroom and bed (whether it's used or not is a different subject.)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Elaina said:
I showed my husband the bedrooms and he said "No" and walked away.
Yeah, see that's the thing, for anyone not familiar with the golden era, the whole look can be "femmy". Not to offend anyone, but unless that's what you're going for, it's really a tricky thing... trying to make a place vintage/classy looking, but figuring where to draw the line lol

Elaina said:
Think they really had their own beds?
I'd assume, no, probably just shown that way as one of those "for decency's sake" things, but I wasn't there...

Elaina

One Too Many
Mm, "femmy" isn't too much of a worry. Hubby's dad was too worried about the competition, so I'm often more masculine then he is. He's a bit of a dandy. I just happen to have better taste then he does, and can match colors and desgin easier and make it look better.

The "No" came from my complaint that I'm not sleeping well, he wants (and we have) a double bed because he likes to cuddle and I don't, and a long standing joke about me wanting my own bed. Heck, I want my own room, my own closet and I keep threatening to paint the room we DO have pink to get my way. With flowers. And, darnit, I'll even add lace and ruffles. And the moment I get him out, I'm going to a dark blue Victorian bedroom, complete with a canopy and velvet curtains, and no trace, save for the dressing table,it's a girl's room. (He wants a Civil war era style bedroom, in GOLD. Really, "femmy" is not the worry here.)

I've tried the whole "decency" thing here, alas, to no avail. I've got pictures of my great grandmother's brothel, and even in her portion of the house she had one bed in her room. I'm not sure if the decency ploy isn't working because of the brothel, or the room.

On a topical note, Rooms-to-go is also vintage-ifying their lines this season too. Much of the pieces are older in design, many hitting the art deco styling of that era. Not sure if it's all over, or the one I went to in Grand Prairie tho. Another good source for the older style pieces (wardrobes, secretaries) is, of all places, Hobby Lobby.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Guys- walk into your bedroom an look around. Is there ANYTHING you would have picked to furnish it?:eusa_doh: I didn't think so....:rolleyes:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Cousin Hepcat said:
Yeah, see that's the thing, for anyone not familiar with the golden era, the whole look can be "femmy".
That stigma extends to the Bauhaus/de Stijl/Moderne interior somewhat, too. Even without the chintz and ruffles it can give off a feeling of being overly elegant.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Cousin Hepcat said:
Yeah, see that's the thing, for anyone not familiar with the golden era, the whole look can be "femmy".
That stigma extends to the Bauhaus/de Stijl/Moderne interior somewhat, too. Even without the chintz and ruffles it can give off a feeling of being overly elegant.
I'm not familiar with those but what I use as a measure is, whatever those old movies show the Philip Marlowe Private Eye types as having in their house, that's fine with me. Especially that fixture on the couch there :D

temp_bogart.jpg

Twitch said:
Guys- walk into your bedroom an look around. Is there ANYTHING you would have picked to furnish it?:eusa_doh: I didn't think so....:rolleyes:
Bedroom? crummy student furniture and utility shelving / records & record players stacked to the ceiling, but its getting old, I'm "this close" to taking it all to the dump - no class...

- C H

GOK

One Too Many
Twitch said:

Are you implying that the furnishing is done by the women? In our house, not so.

Bedroom; the bed was mine (modern, wrought iron), the rocking chair and trunks were K's. The wardrobes are built in and the chest of drawers & side tables/bedside lamps we chose together. The flooring (seagrass) came with the house and we both chose the curtains and poles. Even the bedding is something we both wanted, and not one of us imposing our taste upon the other.

In fact, it's a similar story throughout our house - apart from my atelier, where I work, the only furnishing that was solely my choice is my gaming chair. Absolutely everything else (aside from personal effects) that we put into this house was a joint decision.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Oooo, furniture!

The BF and I will soon be moving in together and we're really excited - because at last, we get to buy furniture! Neither of us own any so we'll be starting from scratch. This is good because - gasp! - we both LIKE THE SAME THINGS!

We plan to start with just whatever we need (apart from a bed and sofa bed - they'll be new) from the second hand shops and replace as we find things we really like and can afford. He already has visions of the deco dining suite with cloud chairs. I say, let's get the bed first!!! lol

So our overall style will be deco and warm; not too much stuff in each room. And I certainly won't be inflicting floral on him. ;)

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
So our overall style will be deco and warm; not too much stuff in each room. And I certainly won't be inflicting floral on him. ;)

Congratulations Miss Sis - I hope you will both enjoy many long years of happiness together. And I wholeheartedly agree on the floral front! For us it's plain walls, ceilings and flooring. I can't bear patterns,esp. florals! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters