Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York City - A Golden Era Evening

Zamyatin

New in Town
Hi all, it's been forever since I posted here; I used to post as Briscoeteque but since I don't watch Law & Order anymore, and Yevgeny Zamyatin was one smartly dressed Bolshevik, I figured it was time for a name change. He also invented the dystopian novel, and I don't think it's been topped since. Arrested, tortured, and exiled by the Tsar, he was a leading creative force of the Revolution, and continued to rebel against the establishment during the Red Terror and Stalin's Purges.

Anyhow, I have a rather important question. After years of monkish prudence, I have become rather taken with a Brooklyn artist. She's the only person I know who dresses on my level, among so many other things. She correctly identified my new 1925 fur coat as muskrat!

Since she lives in NYC, I am sure there are some places out there that would make for a spectacular evening. I wish we were old enough for The Brandy Library but I think you have to be 25. Are there any old fashioned nightclubs out there, with the booths, the acts, the dress code, and the hat-check girls? Any Golden-Era themed restaurants within the reach of a starving scientist and a starving artist? Any museums/other sights? Drinking's not my scene, but if there was a classy enough bar I would be interested in a Rusty Nail or two.

Edit: Here's an attempt to post a picture of us, let's see how it goes!

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums..._556917336153_12202664_32872710_6563403_n.jpg

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, you should definitely come down for a Club Wits End evening. Sadly, there won't be another till after the New Year. It's the last Saturday of the month at Bar Flute, on W 54th St in Manhattan.
And Dances of Vice always has some wonderful new thing going on.
Most of the really classy joints are also pretty pricey. But I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions here. Swing 46 in Manhattan always has a great swing band, usually the great Geoge Gee. And on Monday and Tuesday evenings at Sofia's on W 46th St, Vince Giordano and his Nighthawks play great (I mean DEFINITIVE) music of the 20's and 30's. And the place does a nice job of recreating the old style atmosphere. The food ain't bad (not great, but not bad), and it's not terribly expensive.
You guys make a very attractive pair. ;)

Chas

One Too Many
The jazz clubs!! I like The Blue Note, Village Vanguard and a couple of others. Dancing at Swing 46 is fun, and the Lenox Lounge in Harlem has jam sessions monday nights, I think.

They certainly appreciated the vintage look when I was there; got tons of nice compliments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart