Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie -- fedoras on short guys (5'7" and shorter)

Steve

Practically Family
At 3' 11", David Rappaport could do it!

David_rappaport_publicity.jpg

the shape of the face is the thing that will really have an effect on how you look in different fedoras. At 5'6", if you have a slim-ish face (at 135 lbs, i imagine you do), you should be able to pull off most any dimensions.

The only thing to look out for is very very wide brims (3" and more). With these you will probably need to build up the shoulders a little to offset the width on the head. (at least i find this to be the case)

bk

rockyj

One of the Regulars
They all have good advice.

Wow! What a bunch of great advice! Where else would one of us short guys;(5'6") find such support.:)
Steve. I had the same problem and found the stingy brim looked the best on me. The Blues Brother style worked out the best. Plus, the more family and friends got used to seeing me wearing my fedoras (as well as myself) the more the longer brims were accepted.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I'm 5'9" (around average, I suppose). I prefer a wider brim, but that's more personal preference.

If the hat fits, and you like it, wear it.

Cheers

internetgamble

New in Town
I'm 5'6 and a half.

I know what you mean about being shorter and wearing fedoras. I struggle with the wider brim of a fedora but I do prefer the taller crown.
I did buy a fedora from Bates in Jermyn St London once and eventually cut the brim down.
My favourite hat though is a fedora from the 1930's - Scott of Picadilly job - tall crown, deep black ribbon, slightly beaten up but fits in better with my shabbier look - I rarely get suited and booted so a crisp new hat can look out of place.
So basically, I believe the fedora is fine on a shorter guy - more important is it's colour, crown height, ribbon, brim width, in relation to your head shape, colour of eyes etc. Also, how you dress when you wear it.

regards

internetgamble

Naphtali

Practically Family
You're thinking too much.

Any change from the way you "normally" appear will be perceived as bizarre -- until you and the people looking at you get used to it.

If a fashion statement is all you are wanting to achieve, an intelligent, exceptionally attractive woman -- the technical term is "a babe" -- is required to critically appraise your appearance with a variety of hats. The one she approves of is the one you wear. (This also works with spectacles, shirts, shoes, jackets, coats, and pants.)

If you wear a hat to ward off the elements, choose what does the job while not appearing to be an eye sore in your own mind. Never -- repeat NEVER -- use a babe in this instance.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My Granddad

My grandfather was a jockey. He was 5' 5" and 95 lbs dripping wet. Here he is in a BIG fedora. I think he looks pretty cool. (I know, I've posted this shot about 4 times now, sorry. I just love it.)

dbhfishingabout1932qv6.jpg

Stoney

Practically Family
That guy is Alan Ladd all 5'6" of him.

Here are a couple of shots from The Blue Dahlia, in which he wore a fedora with no taper.

bluedah4.jpg

Dahlia2.jpg

BTW tapered hats were very common in the 1930s. Just checkout some of the films from the era.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Wow! :eusa_clap I can see I've started something here. Short, hat-wearing guys everywhere -- unite! Woohooo!

Seriously, thanks guys for all of the excellent advice. I'm just extremely impressed with this board. I especially have enjoyed the classic pictures, many of actors I've always related to -- especially Cagney.

I also got a kick out of the, "you're thinking too much" post. You know, that's probably right!

My wife likes to tease me whenever I try something different as far as clothing and I'm pretty conservative, so that should tell you guys something about my wife's propensity for teasing. So, no matter how nice the hat looks, she's going to give me a hard time about it. Ah well, I'm ready for it and I've always loved fedoras, so there!

My height has always been an issue for me, whether it's professionally or personally. I'm sure other shorter guys on this board can relate. I think we shorter guys tend to overthink clothing sometimes because it can be harder to pull off certain looks and manufacturers don't typically design clothing, or hats for that matter, for us. How many of you guys 5'7" and shorter buy a t-shirt or other type of shirt and nearly have it hang down to your knees?

Steve

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'll tell you a story. My mother (who was 5'6"") said she was mad at her dad once over something, and she referred to him as "that little man." Her aunt (her 2 maiden aunts adored my grandfather) immediately responded "He is NOT a little man!" It's all about character, dude.
He was a tough guy, tho. He was once in a four horse pile up in a race and broke 33 bones. Another time a 6'4" starter was abusing his horse in the gate. After the race my granddad jumped up in his face and gave him 2 black eyes.
It's not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn