Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie - Hatbox Modifications

lucas

New in Town
Hello,

I'm new to the list, but I've been looking around for quite sometime. I wanted to share some photos of modifications that I made to a hatbox. My wife and I travel a lot and I have found carrying hats a little cumbersome. So as an avid backpacker and someone who likes to ride his bike to work, I thought a hatbox backpack would be the ideal solution.

I purchased a hatbox from Acalas Western Wear in Chicago, IL. You can buy these hatboxes on line, but Acalas had a sale.

Hatbox01_2-vi.jpg

Hatbox02_2-vi.jpg

Hatbox03_2-vi.jpg

I had purchased an old external frame backpack at a garage sale years ago. I never used it, having graduated to internal frame packs. So, I decided to scavenge it for parts. I took basically the shoulder straps and attached them to the hatbox by drilling small holes in the bottom of the hatbox. I then affixed the straps with small plastic screws and plastic wing nuts.

Hatbox05_2-vi.jpg

Hatbox06_2-vi.jpg

Hatbox07_2-vi.jpg

This is the inside:

Hatbox08_2-vi.jpg

Straps attached:

Hatbox09_2_2-vi.jpg

On my back:

Hatbox11_2-vi.jpg

Hatbox12_2-vi.jpg

I thought others might find this of use. This is a great group and I hope to be able to contribute.

Thanks.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Ditto what RBH said, our group is an innovative bunch and it looks like you will fit right in. ;)

Welcome and nice job on the hat box.

lucas

New in Town
Thanks for the good words.

Yes, I do a lot of bicycling, at least I did when I was in Chicago. I always thought a hatbox and some type of single outfit garment bag backpack for the daily bike commuter would be great products. I got around to the hatbox at least.

fatwoul

Practically Family
feltfan said:
Could be the solution to bicycling with a hat that
I have been looking for!

Thanks!

You know what I love almost as much as this hatbox? feltfan's avatar. Most amusing. lol

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Welcome to the FL, Lucas. Your "hat pack" looks like a very practical solution for bicycle commuting.
lucas said:
One question: Does it slip from side to side when riding your bike? If so, you might try a waist strap to keep it centered on your back.

lucas

New in Town
Wolfmanjack wrote: "One question: Does it slip from side to side when riding your bike? If so, you might try a waist strap to keep it centered on your back."

That is a great idea! I'll post pics once I've had a chance to make the modifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy