Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie needs advice!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I think it would look nice with your red hair, and I don't think it looks matronly. It's something I would wear if the color suited me!

It would look great paired with skirts and slacks, worn over blouses or alone.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
i think its adorable! and it wont look matronly, especially if it fits you nicely.

all my cardigans are total wrecks right now, i need to stop buying things for $4 at second hand places and get something nice like that!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
It is absolutely adorable. I'm a redhead (a decidedly unmatronly one, I like to think) and I'd wear it in a heartbeat.

Heh. Let me know if you decide to pass on it. ^_^

BV

carolinagirl

New in Town
BettyValentine said:
It is absolutely adorable. I'm a redhead (a decidedly unmatronly one, I like to think) and I'd wear it in a heartbeat.

Heh. Let me know if you decide to pass on it. ^_^

BV

I purchased it, but if it doesn't fit, I'll definitely let you know!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
carolinagirl said:
I purchased it, but if it doesn't fit, I'll definitely let you know!

Excellent! I'm glad you did. I think it looks great and is so versatile that it is a perfect starter piece for a vintage collection! (I think it would look great with snug jeans and red lipstick. Heh. Not much less matronly than that!)

You should post pictures of yourself in it when it arrives!

Congrats,
B

carolinagirl

New in Town
BettyValentine said:
Excellent! I'm glad you did. I think it looks great and is so versatile that it is a perfect starter piece for a vintage collection! (I think it would look great with snug jeans and red lipstick. Heh. Not much less matronly than that!)

Didn't think about jeans. I was thinking about chocolate colored pants and 1940s shoes.

:p

carolinagirl

New in Town
jitterbugdoll said:
That's actually what I pictured it with :) I would consider pairing it with 1950s dungarees, but I personally would skip the tight jeans. That's just me, though ;)

I wish I had some 1950s dungarees, but the sweater is only my 2nd vintage piece!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
That's a great sweater! And you can always take it in at the seams if you feel it's too boxy on you.But I think you'll be fine!

Good luck and we'd love to see a picture of you in it!

carolinagirl

New in Town
Miss Dottie said:
That's a great sweater! And you can always take it in at the seams if you feel it's too boxy on you.But I think you'll be fine!

Good luck and we'd love to see a picture of you in it!

Thank you! I hope it won't be too little. I'm a 38C and it is hard to find vintage that fits.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
They are somewhat hard to come by, but if you wanted to spend a little extra cash, check these out:
http://mybabyjo.com/clothes/normajeans.htm

They're nice and form fitted but I wouldn’t call them tight (I find the fit of modern jeans to be uncomfortable—the vintage pairs I own have a looser overall fit.)

Those are darling! I'm too short for wide-legged pants, so I like mine a little slimmer through the leg. Not too tight, though. (I mean "snug" to distinguish from the giant "baggin' and saggin'" styles that I dislike so much. And if your underwear is showing, get a belt.) I really like the look of the other set of Stop Staring jeans, I keep thinking of getting a pair in a size up, but I am ambivalent about the little embroidered cherry. It is maybe a bit much. o_O

Now I wear my aunt's jeans from 1955. They have a nice tapered look and roll beautifully. I love that they're cut to accommodate hips. ^_^ I'm always worried about getting something on them, though.

Cardigans are the most beautifully versatile garments. I wore vintage sweaters with jeans and ankle boots almost exclusively all through high school, and now I wear the same sweaters with skirts and trousers to work. I can't believe how long they've lasted!

It all depends on your age and style. ^_^ I fully encourage sartorial experimentaiton.

xoxo,
BV

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I can't do slim leg jeans myself--I need something with a straight leg (still tailored, though.) When I think of ‘tight’, I think of those awful low-waisted skinny jeans that are in vogue at the moment. Those things look terrible! That’s why I like the 1950s jeans I have—they are high-waisted and cut for an hourglass figure. Plus, the material isn't as stiff as the ones made today--it's so much more comfortable!

I believe the cherry can be removed from the other jeans they sell.

maisie

Practically Family
ohh, I love those jeans!! they would look great with a little sweater or a tie up top!!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
I can't do slim leg jeans myself--I need something with a straight leg (still tailored, though.) When I think of ‘tight’, I think of those awful low-waisted skinny jeans that are in vogue at the moment. Those things look terrible! That’s why I like the 1950s jeans I have—they are high-waisted and cut for an hourglass figure. Plus, the material isn't as stiff as the ones made today--it's so much more comfortable!

I believe the cherry can be removed from the other jeans they sell.

Ooh, thanks for the tip!

I need a new word to distinguish huge pants from painted-on jeans. I guess I think of "snug" as close-fitting but not "tight." But that is just me making up definitions again!

I like the low-waisted skinny jeans in boots on the maybe 4 women who can actually wear them. But at some point high school girls all over America got the idea that the "muffin top" is a sexy fashion statement, and not a horrible mistake made by women wearing too-small jeans. I swear I thought it was supposed to be a perjorative description, but I absolutely heard a teenage girl say that she wanted smaller pants so she'd get a sexy muffin top.

brrrr.

BV - muffins are for breakfast. Get pants that fit!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
AllaboutEve said:
That is the best quote I have heard all year!!!!lol lol lol

This is so off-topic, but I think a lack of care/understanding about fit is the only real problem with fashion today. Maybe it is related to the ever growing predominance of "off-the-rack" clothes today, but I think people don't know what clothes that fit look like, so they wind up wearing clothes that are too big or too small and not even knowing it. A lot of people think that if it closes it fits, even if the fabric is visibly pulling around the buttons, or if it is comfortable it fits, even though the fabric is sagging around like a big sack.

I don't think many people even know how clothes should fit on a body.

BV - thinks much of this may come from mean salespeople who say "that's the style." like the old Gap girls on SNL.

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
They are somewhat hard to come by, but if you wanted to spend a little extra cash, check these out:
http://mybabyjo.com/clothes/normajeans.htm

They're nice and form fitted but I wouldn’t call them tight (I find the fit of modern jeans to be uncomfortable—the vintage pairs I own have a looser overall fit.)

If you have a look in one of the books with pictures of Rita Hayworth in it there is one picture, when she is relaxing at home, where she is wearing a pair of jeans nearly the smae as those with a tied up gingham blouse and loafers!! It looks really nice together!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou