Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Cooperson

That jacket fit is dead on, IMO. As for sweaters, I had good luck layering a thin Lambswool or Cashmere sweater underneath. Something with a good weave, or a nice soft hand.

I think these horsehide jackets are intended more as "windbreakers" than full coats.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Cooperson said:
Thanks Navin - I'm getting the feel of this vintage fit jacket but the fitted waist is too trim for sweaters. I can zip it up with a sweater underneath but it's way too tight for comfort. With just a shirt on, it hugs the body but I can move in it ok. Even when the leather has eased out a bit, I still don't think it will be suitable for sweater wear. Good job I also have my long Aero Californian, which is a broad fit and is fine with even thick sweaters.

Cheers

Ahhh.... that's good then. I was going to say if you preferred to wear sweaters underneath this new Goodwear Ventura and if the fitment wasn't to your satisfaction then that could be a potential reason to return the jacket but since you have your Aero Californian that you can use with thick sweaters then you're all set. :)

Cooperson

One Too Many
R P McMurphy -After a few days of wearing and moving around in it, with it zipped up, the Leather has eased quite a bit. A very thin lambswool sweater might be possible but I think it will probably be worn with just a shirt.

I've taken some pics with it zipped up to show the taper in the body - it's definitely a vintage fit.

Goodwear_Ventura_back_zippe.jpg

Goodwear_Ventura_side_zippe.jpg

Goodwear_Ventura_front_zipp.jpg

The style sort of reminds me of this jacket, posted by Griemersma some time ago:

4452385050_a5dc23bf1b_o.jpg

767fo

One of the Regulars
Very nice jacket. I have a few A2's with that hide from Mr. Chapman and I can tell you it will break in with a very soft and supple feel. Is this the same jacket that was sold on ebay for half price? If it is you got a great deal. Congrats on the jacket.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Only one word:

PERFECT! The beauty off the jacket double when the fir is right. You have the right frame for this kind of jackets.

enjoy it in good health.

Oliver

Cooperson

One Too Many
767fo - Well spotted, it is indeed that jacket and I feel very fortunate to own it. I can only assume the very trim measurements ruled out many people. John did say he selected the hide in person whilst visiting a Japanese tannery. He sent me a photo of a well worn in A2, manufactured from the same set of hides - I don't think I have ever seen grain like it! If mine goes the same I will be very happy. You must be thrilled with your A2's.

Gancho - Thank you Oliver, much appreciated.

767fo

One of the Regulars
Cooperson - I could not be any happier with my jackets from John. In my opinion his materials and especially his craftsmanship are second to none. Take care

Windward

Practically Family
Best matching 1+

Great vintage jacket with great matching wingtips - jacket and shoes might also be good looking with chinos!
BTW: Pics seems to say: Last man standing....BUT on the putting green!

PhilR

New in Town
Cooperson said:
R P McMurphy -After a few days of wearing and moving around in it, with it zipped up, the Leather has eased quite a bit. A very thin lambswool sweater might be possible but I think it will probably be worn with just a shirt.

I've taken some pics with it zipped up to show the taper in the body - it's definitely a vintage fit.

Goodwear_Ventura_back_zippe.jpg

Goodwear_Ventura_front_zipp.jpg

That is exactly the fit I am looking for in my next jacket. I want to go with Aero, but I've read a few times here how Aero just can't seem to get that kind of tighter fit right. What kind of information did you have to emphasize with Goodwear in order to get that glove-like fit?

Cooperson

One Too Many
Windward - Many thanks. I would love a really good pair of chinos to go with this jacket but I can't find any worth buying over here in the UK. Ralph Lauren used to do some great heavy duty Khakis but not any more. Love your new avatar BTW - very smart!

PhilR - This jacket was not made for me, someone else ordered it but it was too small so they returned it. I was just very lucky that it had the same shoulder width and sleeve length as my Aero Highwayman. I own two Aero's, a Highwayman and a custom long Californian. For me, one of the most obvious differences between the Aero's and this Goodwear is in the sleeves. The Aero's have quite low cut arm holes and very full upper arms, whereas the Goodwear is a more tapered throughout the whole of the sleeve (which I like). The other thing to bare in mind though is that the Goodwear Ventura was taken from a vintage fit 40's jacket, so the basic pattern is trimmer than most Aero jackets.

If you like a glove type fit but you also want an Aero, then their 30's half belt might be your best bet.

Hope this helps.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Cooperson said:
I would love a really good pair of chinos to go with this jacket but I can't find any worth buying over here in the UK.

I've got some nice selvedge twill chinos from Garbstore - I think the colour would be called stone or fawn and the cloth Cavalry Twill. In denim we'd call it Broken Twill.

I'm not sure if they are still available.

Cooperson

One Too Many

Papa M

A-List Customer
Cooperson said:
The only thing I'm not sure about is the bib front, but that's just me.

No. It's me too. Something a bit "Bonjour Matelot!" about it. ;)

Fortunately my selvedge chinos from Garbstore are very neat and simple.

mattfink

Practically Family
That jacket fits perfect Cooperson...just don't forget to do your sit-ups every morning! Seriously jealous!

Windward

Practically Family
Edward said:
Those are tempting.... any idea what the cut is like - wide enough for a Forties look?

Just an idea . . .and how it looks...and yes - wide enough for the "Forties look" !!

JerkysealHH_side_after1Month.jpg

Very comfortable and if you googled it - it called: SURPLUS Airborne Vintage Cargo - color sand...OK "pricey" with 30 GBP -
this the look with a slender guy: http://www.us-onlineshop.com/images/surplus_airborne vintage_beige_05359874_back.JPG
but maybe not the kind of "decently" what you are looking for??? Should be just an idea . . .

Maybe "Bills khakis" http://www.billskhakis.com/ or this http://us.dockers.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2293626&cp=2271557.2271567
would be matching your jacket-style best.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Nice enough as Cargo Pants go.

Personally I don't like multiple patch pockets. Ruins the general shape.

I'm not knowledgable about these things. Are those authentic "period" design?

Cooperson

One Too Many
mattfink said:
That jacket fits perfect Cooperson...just don't forget to do your sit-ups every morning! Seriously jealous!

Ha ha, nice one :) You're right though - with a jacket fitting like this, when you pass a fast food joint, you just have to keep on walking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24