Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Many thanks for the kind comments and reassurances.

RLM - When zipped, with just a shirt underneath, the jacket doesn't pull but is a snug fit. If it's anything like my Highwayman I'm hoping it will ease quite a bit with time.

jon z - The label is a 42" but the jacket is a very vintage cut. My expanded chest is only 39" but the jacket is quite snug when zipped. I'm probably that that used to the feel of the boxy cut of my Highwayman, it will take a bit of wearing to get the feel of it.

rumblefish - cheers.

Mr Peacoat - Many thanks. Acquiring this jacket was just a stroke of luck for me, as I sort of short circuited the waiting list. John had made it for guy but it didn't fit him, so it was returned. The measurements of the sleeves, shoulders and body length were identical to my two Aero's so I went for it. A gamble, yes, but one I thought was worth taking. Getting a test jacket to try on sounds a great idea and definitely worth the postage. I'm just so impressed with the quality of this jacket! Post some pics when yours arrives, I would love to see it.

apba1166 - Cheers. I think you're right, my Highwayman is quite baggy now but felt like wearing a suitcase when it was new :)

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Great looking jacket!!! Really beautiful.

My Goodwear A-2 that I ordered this past Winter is about ready to be made, as well. This makes me even that more anxious to get it. Such great craftsmanship!

- Ian

CC-1

Familiar Face
Gee, judging by the folds either side of your pecs you have material for the jacket to close. The back is fabulous. Length is right on. Sleeve length shouldn't be any shorter considering natural creasing that is already occurring. And you want to be able to stretch out your arms out for riding or driving without the sleeves riding up to your wrist. I think you're going to be very happy with the break-in! But wash the jeans!! :) Best to you...

Cooperson

One Too Many
EmergencyIan - Many thanks. I have yet to own an A2 but, if I did, it would be a Goodwear - the craftsmanship is excellent.

HoosierDaddy - Thanks HD, I was hoping you might take a look for me.

jack miranda - Thanks Jack. I think the 30's and 40's half belts are my favorite style.

CC-1 - Thanks for taking a look. Wash the jeans? What and wash all the goodness out of em!
Funny you mention that, I washed them as soon I bought them but my daughter was horrified. Apparently, the fashion now is to leave raw denim completely unwashed. When they get dirty, you put them in the freezer and then knock the crap off them when they're frozen stiff :rolleyes: . I didn't like to tell her how we used treat our brand new shrink to fit Levis - smear them with degreaser, scrub them with the yard brush and then boil them - anything to get the dye out!

Windward

Practically Family
Looks like a real "made to measure" jacket - (dont worry) great fit and color (also of your jeans) - enjoy and thanks for sharing ...

Feraud

Bartender
It doesn't look too trim but appears short to me.
Should the belt sit at waist level? Based on these pics it looks high.

From this side view the belt seems to sit at mid-hand pocket level..
Ventura---full-length---sid.jpg

From this position, the mid pocket level (where the belt would be in the back) higher than your waist.
Ventura---close-up---front.jpg

Or am I seeing it wrong?
It is a great jacket style.

PeterO

New in Town
Looks absolutely perfect to me . Your pictures could have been lifted of the Goodwear website. You've got yoursef a stunning jacket enjoy it.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Sure looks spot on to me. Beautiful jacket. You will enjoy it...and avoiding the normal wait time was pretty cool too. I have an A-2 from John and I think it was about six months, but very well worth it though. Congratulations.

Mike

Cooperson

One Too Many
Feraud said:
It doesn't look too trim but appears short to me.
Should the belt sit at waist level? Based on these pics it looks high.
Or am I seeing it wrong?
It is a great jacket style.

The length does concern me a bit, but comparing it to the Goodwear web site, it doesn't look that different. The style has a very pronounced taper at the natural waist (the area above the hip bones) this appears to be where the side belts should sit.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwcalventura_images2.html

John was kind enough to send some pics of the actual vintage jacket that the pattern was taken from - it does look to be a short style:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/civilian/front_back_full.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
Windward - Many thanks. The jeans are the first raw denim ones I have owned since I was a teenager - I think they make a change from the usual stone washed, pre faded variety.

Nighthawk - Thanks for that. Judging by the number of positive comments so far, I think if there was anything glaringly wrong there would probably be a consensus of opinion by now.

PeterO - Many thanks for taking the time to comment - much appreciated.

53Effie - Thanks Mike. Hope your A2 is everything you wanted and please post some pics when it arrives.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite jackets, that one. Yours fits well. Better than on the Goodyear website I would say. It sits several inches over your belt, so that suggests it is not too small. The sleeves are fine but could have had some extra length perhaps, if you're going to be picky. You are a very lucky man - it's a keeper.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Cooperson said:
jon z - The label is a 42" but the jacket is a very vintage cut. My expanded chest is only 39" but the jacket is quite snug when zipped. I'm probably that that used to the feel of the boxy cut of my Highwayman, it will take a bit of wearing to get the feel of it.

Cooperson - I think you now own one of the best looking & fitting vintage style jackets ever posted on here. Perhaps your anxiety as to the fit is due to being conditioned to the accepted blousey fashion of today. You're over analysing things. Stop it, enjoy wearing the jacket & know it looks stunning.

If you decide at some point you can't live with it you know where to find me. My chest size is the same size as yours & conveniently I'm in the UK ;)

Papa M

A-List Customer
Cooperson said:
Vintage Talon ball-chain zipper in chest pocket.

I wish you'd gone for the Lozenge zip-pull - as shown on the Goodwear website version. I just adore those Lozenge zip pulls!

Other than that I love your jacket!

Cooperson

One Too Many
OneEyeMan - Hi Lenny, how's it going? I seem to remember you gained a bit of length on your jacket by getting it wet and stretching it - did it stay that way or has it gone back to it's original size with time?

Seb Lucas - Thanks for comments Seb. I gathered you like half belts - I think this pattern really captures the 30's/40's period fit well.

jon z - You're right, I do over analyze thing I'm afraid, it's in my nature. It was just the shock of feeling a jacket hug the body when you zip it up. John Chapman has given me a tip on easing out the leather, which I will try. If I ever decide I can't live with it any more, I will give you a shout :)

Papa M - The Lozenge zip pulls are very nice but I didn't have a choice. The jacket was made for someone else, I was just lucky to get my hands on it when it was returned. :)

andy richards - Thanks Andy. The jeans are Carhartt and the shoes are an antique brown Gibson brogue from Brocklehursts in Bakewell:

http://www.brocklehurstsofbakewell.co.uk/acatalog/34350_Thurso_Brogue__170.00.html

Serious shoes these, should last a life time!

Papa M

A-List Customer
Cooperson said:
Papa M - The Lozenge zip pulls are very nice but I didn't have a choice. The jacket was made for someone else, I was just lucky to get my hands on it when it was returned. :)

In that case you are entirely forgiven. And also very fortunate to have gained from someone else's disappointment.

Incidently - those denims do look good. I'm not really a fan of non-selvedge, nor Carhartt. However those have a nice look to them of a vintage Dry Lee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana