Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

fishmeok

Vendor
feltfan said:
Mark, is the buttonholer yours or John's?
Are you doing button holes for John now?

Great video, BTW- what a machine!

It's at my place for a while, but will eventually make it's way out to Seattle one way or another. John has been looking for one for a long time and I was lucky enough to find this machine here in Minneapolis. That A-1 above is the first one done with the new machine...
Cheers
Mark

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well enjoy it for now, Mark. Good of you.

I was about to take comparison snaps of the
button holes on my GW A-1... but I took a close
look and I'll do John a favor and NOT post them.
They work. We'll leave the close-up for the beaut
pictured above.

AlanC

Okay, here are a couple of "real world" shots. Thoughts on the fit?

img1262o.jpg

img1263ll.jpg

feltfan

Congratulations

Looks great to me.

Maybe you're worried it looks baggy in the back
and around the sides and the arms seem a bit long?
I don't think so (though it's up to you). I think you'll
find that the leather in the torso will relax and drape evenly and
nicely and the sleeves will shorten just a touch as they crease.
You will have a stylish and comfortable jacket.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about my own preconceived notions,
but I figured thin leather doesn't need to be broken in. Turns out
it does, but not, of course, as dramatically as thick leather.

It's a great jacket and it looks great on you.

One more thought: stretch your arms in front of you. The sleeves should still
just barely cover your wrist. Or at least that's what I think.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
An A1 ...A-1 Alan...Congratulations!!

Alan, the A1 is one of my favourite Golden Era jacket types!! and JC has just about nailed it, hasn't he!! In a year or two of hard wear, that baby is just going to look darned bootiful..!! Plus with new hides being sourced from the Japanese tannerys, the range he will be able to offer will just get better and better.
I'm all for small, family owned 'Cottage Industrys' like John's. We need to support the small operators who are enthusiastic about getting the 'details right.' And he's doing it..!
Enjoy your A-1 Alan, looks marvellous!

img1262o.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
Goodwear Ventura arrived today!

Being a fan of Californian style jackets I have drooled over the Goodwear 40's style Ventura for a long time. Today, I finally have one in the house.

Although quite similar in style to my Aero Californian, it is shorter with a vintage trim fit. The quality of the workmanship is something to behold and the front quarter horse is beautiful - not quite as rigid as my Highwayman was fresh out the box. The hide is still heavy but pliable and I get the feeling it with break in quite quickly as the grain is already showing.

Basic details are: Vintage sized 42" (trim fit). Russet brown, vegetable-tanned, aniline finished front quarter horsehide. Action back. Reproduction riveted main zipper with Waldes name (copy of 1937 Talon zipper).Vintage Talon ball-chain zipper in chest pocket. Inner snap pocket and a burgundy rayon lining.

My only concern is that it might be a little too trim in the fit for me, so I would very much appreciate opinions of how it looks. Here are the pics:

Ventura---jacket--front.jpg

Ventura---jacket---back.jpg

Ventura---jacket---lining.jpg

Ventura---close-up---front.jpg

Ventura---jacket---inner-po.jpg

Ventura---full-length---sid.jpg

Ventura---full-length---bac.jpg

RLM

Familiar Face
Looks fantastic. You're worried its a little too trim, does it bind or pull or otherwise feel tight when zipped? If not, don't worry about it.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. The fit is perfect IMO & any befits the period & style to perfection. I've yet to see an Aero that gets it right. Wear it & enjoy it. Now if it was a 40 I'd say it looked awful & offer to take it off your hands ;)

Peacoat

Bartender
Great looking jacket you have there, Coops. Quite the business and really looks a treat. I second what RLM asked. If it binds or feels uncomfortable, then it is too tight; otherwise, enjoy it. It looks like it is the right size, but then it isn't zipped up and it's hard to tell.

When did you place your order? I placed my order for an A-2 in January, and John says it is about to be built. He asked if I wanted a "test" jacket for size and I said, yes. I would rather pay a little extra in shipping and make sure it is right than save on shipping and not get a good fit.

apba1166

A-List Customer
Looks/fit great. If it feels tight in places, that's good, 'cause it will stretch to fit as you wear and never be baggy. Wow....that's as good as it gets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points