Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

feltfan said:
I did, in fact, order this jacket from Goodwear.
Unfortunately, John has only one example to work from,
and it is, if I recall correctly, a size 44 (vintage, so closer
to a size 42 today). I wear a modern size 48 or 50.
Because the jacket is so different from a type A-2 or a type A-1,
he was not able to size it up successfully. Jacket proportions
don't increase evenly through every part of the garment. There
is a bit of art, or at least a lot to know, about creating the same
garment in a range of sizes. John will need some time to work with
this one. For now I believe he is only offering it in sizes close to
his original. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are a smaller size, I encourage you to get this great jacket.
I chose to get a type A-1 instead, which I hope to post this weekend.

THANKS FELTFAN..

IN THAT CASE A BETTER WAIT FOR A WHILE..BEFORE I BUY ONE

JOHAN

smithcorona

New in Town
shades of brown

Hello all,

How red would you GW's russet is? I realize pics are differant from one camera tothe next and monitors don't always show a true color but,
do you find the russet to be more ofa medium brown or more orange?

Thanks,

Mike K.

One Too Many
John will gladly provide you with leather samples if you contact him. It's a lot easier and more productive in determining exactly what you want than trying to go by another person's photos or description. ;)

Tibor

One of the Regulars
Good suggestion. I sent an email with some information and a request for some leather samples. I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling.

Talk about tough choices though ... I think I'll defer to John's judgement on which would fit me best, and focus on selecting my favorite leather.

Tibor

One of the Regulars
Hi RudyN,

When did you order yours? (Just getting an idea of where I am in line...)

Never mind ... just picked up the answer elsewhere... July-ish. Glad it sounds like he's finished the movie work for now.

Tibor

One of the Regulars
But, yes RudyN, post pics, by all means. That Perry contract looks terrific. Can't wait to see what yours looks like.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mine is supposed to be ready by this weekend!! :D :D
Decided to go with the Werber Sportswear 42-1402-P in dark russet.
I'll post pics when it arrives.

blethook

One of the Regulars
(Grainy) pictures of my GW Bronco A-2...

...Sorry for the not very good, grainy pics, but the camera is about 10 years old...Doesn't seem to show the colour of the hide very well, except one pic with the flash on (the last one)...

The Bronco is done in Goatskin, size 40.

A tad too long on the body & arms. The body length doesn't bother me at all, and I will give the longer arms a few months of wear and if I still feel the same I will have them shortened a bit...

Hope you enjoy the pics:
GWBroncoMay09_sz40_006.jpg

GWBroncoMay09_sz40_005.jpg

GWBroncoMay09_sz40_004.jpg

GWBroncoMay09_sz40_003.jpg

GWBroncoMay09_sz40_002.jpg

GWBroncoMay09_sz40_001.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Werber Sportswear 42-1402-P

FINALLY it is here!!! My long-awaited Good Wear A-2 flight jacket arrived Saturday afternoon. All I can say is John Chapman does an AMAZING job and his jackets are worth every penny spent. Attached are pics of my jacket. I decided to go with John's 1941 Werber Sportswear contract in dark russet horsehide. Now I'm considering a late-war contract in seal horsehide as a purchase for later (much later) this year. It's 95+ degrees here in south Florida so I'll just have to turn up the air conditioning in order to wear the jacket around the house a little and begin breaking it in. Here's some pics of the jacket new; I will post photos later once it breaks in a bit.
CMK_2380.jpg
CMK_2384.jpg
CMK_2389.jpg

blethook

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
FINALLY it is here!!! My long-awaited Good Wear A-2 flight jacket arrived Saturday afternoon. All I can say is John Chapman does an AMAZING job and his jackets are worth every penny spent. Attached are pics of my jacket. I decided to go with John's 1941 Werber Sportswear contract in dark russet horsehide.
Interesting choice...I was going to change my mine and go with the Werber...and ended up sticking with my first choice: Bronco in russet goatskin. Lovely hide & doesn't need any breaking in...

I have to agree John's work is amazing. The measurements are spot on. Obviously he pays attention to the small details.

My next GW order probably is going to be the new (short) civilian Monarch half belt jacket :D

Mike K.

One Too Many
WOW - WOW - WOW

Okay, so summer is here, it's about 9000 degrees here in south Florida and probably just as hot in other parts too. Not exactly the time of year we are usually thinking about leather jackets...well, maybe some of us. ;)

A few weeks ago I received my new Good Wear A-2 jacket and it is amazing. Today, I received samples from John of his new vegetable-tanned aniline-dyed horsehide leather. This stuff is absolutely incredible!!!! I highly encourage everyone to check the Good Wear website to see this stuff, or better yet, get some leather samples.

I am placing my next order immediately!

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Goodwear Dubow 27798

I received this beautiful jacket from JC this past week. The workmanship and quality of materials is second to none. It's a perfect fit! This hide is simply gorgeous! Man, Ive had A-2's from other high-end makers, discussed on this forum, but none come close to this type of deal. The toughness of this jacket is evident as well. It has that squeaky noise sensation as you handle it and move around in it. I can't wait to see the grain break out, as I wear it. In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than this, in workmanship, materials and authenticity. I couldn't be happier! I only hope my mug doesn't ruin your screens. And I wish I could stand straighter, but 27 years of working on my feet 10-14 hours a day, leaning into a machine have taken it's toll on my back

Brian

jacket4.jpg
jacket5.jpg
jacket6-1.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Really nice, and a good fit. That must be the new Japanese HH he has gotten. Hopefully I should be getting mine in the next month or so. I am sure you are happy with yours as it is really a nice jacket.

JanSolo

Practically Family
That's a very neat looking jacket! Fit and finish are remarkable as is the choice and colour of the leather. A couple of weeks ago I've received a sample of that specific leather from John and I really have to say that it's among the most beautiful leathers I've ever seen.

BTW: You stand perfectly straight and the jacket really looks good on you.

Papa M

A-List Customer
That is a fantastic, and quite different, hide. The jacket is a perfect fit and is very complimentary to your body shape. I need to get one too as I am of a similar shape.

Sorry to hear of your back problems. I really sympathise. I suffer intermittent back issues as a result of a Surfing injury.

10-14 hours a day at a Machine? Don't you belong to a Union?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points