Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Brian,
Congratulations! Superb looking jacket and excellent fit. Enjoy breaking it in. You will get a lot of compliments, when wearing this jacket outside...
Andy

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Papa M said:
That is a fantastic, and quite different, hide. The jacket is a perfect fit and is very complimentary to your body shape. I need to get one too as I am of a similar shape.

Sorry to hear of your back problems. I really sympathise. I suffer intermittent back issues as a result of a Surfing injury.

10-14 hours a day at a Machine? Don't you belong to a Union?

No Union. They used us and abused us. Many thanks for everyone's kind compliments.

Brian

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely Dubow Brian. I particularly like the new hh. I have a GW Dubow from the same contract in goat which I like alot. Does yours have one of John's Talon zips or an original Crown?

saucerfiend

Practically Family
aswatland said:
Lovely Dubow Brian. I particularly like the new hh. I have a GW Dubow from the same contract in goat which I like alot. Does yours have one of John's Talon zips or an original Crown?
Andrew, It has John's Talon and WW2 slider.

Brian

Leamas

New in Town
Brian,

Nice jacket and great fit! Is that a custom order, or did you luck out and get an 'off the rack' to fit that well?

Jeff

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Leamas said:
Brian,

Nice jacket and great fit! Is that a custom order, or did you luck out and get an 'off the rack' to fit that well? Jeff, give me a call and let me know how you made out with your US Authentic. 732 297-0697

Jeff

Jeff, this was custom ordered.

Brian

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Does GW even have Off the Rack jackets for sale?
I thought everything they did was custom.
Lenny

Leamas said:
Brian,

Nice jacket and great fit! Is that a custom order, or did you luck out and get an 'off the rack' to fit that well?

Jeff

saucerfiend

Practically Family
OneEyeMan said:
Does GW even have Off the Rack jackets for sale?
I thought everything they did was custom.
Lenny

No, they don't have "off the rack" jackets. I think whats referred to here is that JC occasionally has "test" jackets that he photographs for his web site that he does offer, if available. But customer orders are his line.

Brian

Leamas

New in Town
Oops, that was just me being a nooby. I didn't know whether GW had off the rack as an option.

As an aside, Brian, my A2 from US A is still too blousy but fits well everywhere else. I'm giving A2's a rest and looking to maybe get either a Wested or Todd's Indy Jacket. Looks to be modern cut and similar to the look of an A2, but minus the wrist and waistbands. I like simple/plain type leather jackets. Nothing with a bunch of straps, zippers, etc. Anyway, just wanted to give you an update. Thanks for helping me with the sizing. Now that I have gone through one I think I could order an A2 that would fit just right, I just can't bring myself to cough up that much dough so soon after the US A...I won't say debacle...if only at the time I could have figured out the waist size... .

Jeff

CBI

One Too Many
if you are a size 44/46, you are John's size and he frequently has photo samples for sale (jackets in this size) that he takes pictures of and tests himself by wearing them around. He also re-sells returned jackets from time to time. These jacket cost about the same as a custom job since they sell so quickly but if you are this size, its worth checking in.

I think at one time he was thinking of making stock sizes but I don't think he has the time to even tackle this. He seems to be getting more and more orders. Place your's sooner than later. I have a closet full of GW's so I am good for a while :)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why, oh why has this thread fallen into neglect?

I will do my part and post pictures of my new Goodwear A-1. It's being shipped today. Below are the pics that John took.

The jacket is made of Horween leather Vermont Espresso horse hide, which is a lighter weight horsehide suitable for the A-1. John has run out of capeskin, and his supplier has no more. After discussing it over with John and others it was suggested that the horsehide would actually have more durability than the capeskin. Plus this particular hide is lighter weight with nice pigmentation, I think.

John had a test jacket in the stuff that he sent me to try on. I took pictures of me wearing it plus sent him measurements to help with the fit of my own. John also has a new vintage buttonhole sewer, which is in the care of our own fishmeok. To my knowledge this was one of the first if not the first jacket it was used on. John said the buttonholes look just like originals.

More when the jacket actually arrives.

typea1.jpg

frontview1.jpg

frontview2.jpg

reverseview1.jpg

pocketi.jpg

label.jpg

buttonhole.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
The buttonhole machine discussed above:

http://superiorjackets.com/?p=172

It's hard to put into words how amazing and cool this thing is....

I think using the Vermont Espresso for an A-1 is a good idea- the hide has a very nice period look and feel to it and will wear better than capeskin.
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner