Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
srivats said:
John is easier to catch on the phone and is very very patient with any questions you ask ... and it is great fun to talk to him in person. You clearly see how excited he is with jackets and it is hard not to catch some of that enthusiasm.
I'll be interested to hear if you get ahold of him. For the last two days
I have been getting the oddest recording stating that my call cannot
be completed from this phone at the customer's request. Since I
I have no reason to think he's blocking my calls, I wonder if others
can get through to him.

Tiger Pilot

New in Town
I just talked to him today. Call went right through around 2:00 Eastern time. As always, a great conversation. I just feel like I'm taking up too much of his time. I always learn a ton about the jackets talking with him. My 27753 is getting close!

Kent

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Heres one of the newer contracts that John has made available. Its the rather small and lesser known no-name 42-18246-P contract, which according to Johns site was thought to be made by S.H. Knopf of Boston, MA. Some distinguishing characteristics are wide shoulders, a trim body and a large collar. Apparently the whole contract was done in HH as well. Mine is a size 46 in seal brown HH. Havent had much time to break her in yet.

front_view_flat.jpg

comparison1.jpg

P7190104.jpg

BuzzTheTower

New in Town
Contacting Good Wear

Gents,

John here. I've found that some of my emails aren't being delivered after I send them, and I'll see if there's something up with my phone, as I've gotten some calls today...it's the emails I worry about as I've not heard back from a few people and then I get another email saying they hadn't heard back from me. D'oh!

I'll be calling some people tomorrow. I have a meeting from 10am-12noon, but will be trying around that.

Thanks!
John

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just amazing work.

I need another jacket like a hole in the head [huh] Sound familiar...?:rolleyes: I know, I know...it's an addiction. But just when I think I'm getting better something like another member gets a GoodWear (or whatever) and it just sparks up again. JUST LOVE JayCee's beautiful homage to the classic A-1..! If I haven't already said that at least a 1000 times before :eek:

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Doniger – the best repro I have seen!

I have been collecting for over 25 years and have in that time owned examples of all the premium makers – Aero, Eastman, Real McCoys, Buzz Rickson, The Few.

Having never seen a Goodwear in the flesh, I had the good fortune of acquiring an example of John’s Doniger recently and everything being said here about Goodwear is true IMHO. The goatskin is absolutely perfect (maybe slightly heavier/thicker than originals but I am sure given wear it will compact and thin down a little. The colour, grain, finish is outstanding. The attention to detail is staggering and it just has that 1940s feel about it that I have not really found in any other repro. The nearest I have come to is the RMJ Dubow I have.

Many makers claim absolute authenticity but their jackets can be dissappointing when you see them up close – especially when you are paying for the premium of having an accuratel reproduction.

I have literally spent thousands over the years and acquiring more knowledge makes me very fussy indeed.

I totally support John and his extraordinary attention to detail. I will certainly order a Dubow contract from him now that I have seen his craftsmanship in the flesh. Well done Goodwear!!!

rgraham

A-List Customer
bobbyball said:
The goatskin is absolutely perfect (maybe slightly heavier/thicker than originals but I am sure given wear it will compact and thin down a little. The colour, grain, finish is outstanding.

Are you speaking of the russet colored goatskin??

Cobblers

New in Town
It would good to see some pics of the fit etc...

You won't be disappointed with Johns Dubow, like your Doniger the detailing is second to none. It's interesting comparing other makes, I placed mine next to a Real McCoys and the difference was suprising to say the least, mainly the weight comparison, pocket sizes and stitching detail.

4 weeks in and my Dubow is developing nicely. :)

Another A2

Fellow Loungers: I had an Eastman Roughwear A2 a few years back and sold it,just did not have that trim fit I was looking for.I prefer my early Foster 55j14 for its comfort and good looks.John at Goodwear (in my opinion )has some fantastic A2s hands down,and to top it off the price is great for what you are getting.I spoke with John and he said the waiting time was about 3mos,not bad.Any of you good people have a Goodwear? You thoughts appreciated.BB

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Goodwear wear

I got my Goodwear Dubow in seal horse last spring so I didn't get a chance to wear it much, but now it's starting to see some service. Here's a shot of the lower front of the jacket so you can see how the spray finish wears. The red under tone shows through after a while and gives the jacket some highlights that give it some real character.
I wore this jacket to an antique show in Portland last month and met a dealer from Seattle who had heard of John Chapman through a friend. He was selling a lot of military stuff and said he's seen a lot of original A-2s and mine looked just like an original. This jacket has been extremely comfortable to wear. I'm saving up for another one.
IMG20071102_20081109_00012.jpg

fedoralover

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
When and if I get enough extra money I would like to order a jacket from Good Wear. To me they are wearable original repos and as close as you can get to a WWII A-2. Nice jacket, Fedora.

Ray

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's a shot of the right sleeve, the left one doesn't have near the graining that this one does. If you want a jacket that will develope some character, the Goodwear does. I've seen pics of jackets that always look smooth and never grain up.
IMG20071102_20081110_00012.jpg

fedoralover

CBI

One Too Many
FL - looking good. Its been a while, glad you are enjoying it. I am up to my 5th Goodwear and I am loving them. My most recent - an Aero contract in seal HH is just the best, could not ask for a nicer jacket except for possibly a dark russett HH Werber that should be here on Weds. My goat Dubow is wonderful as well as my goat 18091 (its one that I painted). I also have a 27753 that John made in 2006 with the grainiest hide you have ever seen. Enjoying my ELC A-1. Loving the colder jacket weather, so few months in the mid-south US for jacket wear! John sure makes an outstanding product. I hope to get my computer up and running in regards posting photos and I will post pics og the GW's.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
CBI, I would love to all your Goodwears, but especially the Goat Dubow. I was thinking of getting one in goat next and this Dubow pattern is sooo comfortable to wear that I'm afraid to change contracts.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's a pic of a used Dubow from another high end vendor I saw on ebay a while back. Notice the huge difference in the hides and the more accurate pocket spacing on the Goodwear.
LSTWRDSDUBOW2.jpg

IMG20071102_20081109_00012.jpg

fedoralover[/QUOTE]

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner