Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Superb jacket Coop. How would you characterize the look, feel and density of the veg. tan compared to the chrome tan? Very interested.

Todd V

Familiar Face
Beauty

That jacket sits exactly where I'd want it, just a few inches past the belt. It is absolutely fantastic. Enjoy it!

:eusa_clap

Vic

One of the Regulars
Cooperson said:
Being a fan of Californian style jackets I have drooled over the Goodwear 40's style Ventura for a long time. Today, I finally have one in the house.

Although quite similar in style to my Aero Californian, it is shorter with a vintage trim fit. The quality of the workmanship is something to behold and the front quarter horse is beautiful - not quite as rigid as my Highwayman was fresh out the box. The hide is still heavy but pliable and I get the feeling it with break in quite quickly as the grain is already showing.

Basic details are: Vintage sized 42" (trim fit). Russet brown, vegetable-tanned, aniline finished front quarter horsehide. Action back. Reproduction riveted main zipper with Waldes name (copy of 1937 Talon zipper).Vintage Talon ball-chain zipper in chest pocket. Inner snap pocket and a burgundy rayon lining.

My only concern is that it might be a little too trim in the fit for me, so I would very much appreciate opinions of how it looks. Here are the pics:

Looks killer!! I dig the whole outfit!

Papa M

A-List Customer
img2365o.jpg

Here's my Aero equivalent. I notice that the half belt at the back sits slightly lower on mine than yours. More or less where the belt is on my high-rise (12" rise) denims.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Bonneville said:
Superb jacket Coop. How would you characterize the look, feel and density of the veg. tan compared to the chrome tan? Very interested.

That's a good question Bonneville. It's different, but in a good way. My medium weight Aero has an almost spray painted look about it and no smell to it at all. This has filled the house with that lovely horsehide aroma, just like my heavy horse Highwayman did. The feel of this is heavy but pliable, not quite as heavy as the Highwayman but still substantial. As to the look - it's hard to put into words. The hide is a very even color, all over the jacket, which I like, but doesn't look painted like the medium Aero horse. It's probably not as translucent a finish as the Highwayman but equally as gorgeous and the grain is breaking out all over it already.

I've tried to do my best with the description, but assessing leather is a very subjective thing. I love the Aero heavy horse and I now love this too. Let's just say, I don't think you would be disappointed if you got your hands on one.

Cheers

Cooperson

One Too Many
Todd V - Thanks Todd.

Vic - Cheers Vic.

Papa M - That's great looking Californian! Have you got a back view of you wearing it? It would be interesting to compare.

pipvh

Practically Family
It's a stunner - fits exactly right. Even a fraction longer or shorter would ruin the look. You've got the fit I've been seeking out for many, many years - enjoy it!

Todd V

Familiar Face
Wear

Wow, what how does a FQHH jacket such as this look after 20, 30 years? Anyone care to share their patina photos?

jon z

One of the Regulars
Cooperson said:
jon z - You're right, I do over analyze thing I'm afraid, it's in my nature. It was just the shock of feeling a jacket hug the body when you zip it up. John Chapman has given me a tip on easing out the leather, which I will try. If I ever decide I can't live with it any more, I will give you a shout :)

If by "over analysis" you mean obsess about detail then you have my sympathy. My life is ruled by my obsessive behaviour to the point it often spoils my enjoying the things I own. When it comes to jackets in particular I obsess over the shoulder width. I have narrow shoulders & I feel most jackets are too wide in that area to look as I want, despite reassurances from friends & family to the opposite.

The "hug" feeling is something I seek in a vintage jacket &, the opposite to you, I feel uncomfortable in a jacket that doesn't give that feeling. Sincerely I hope you soon lose the concerns you have over the fit & feel at ease with it. Selfishly I appreciate you bearing me in mind should that not happen & you decide to part with it.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Cooperson said:
Papa M - That's great looking Californian! Have you got a back view of you wearing it? It would be interesting to compare.

Here we go - some hastily shot snaps with my new Leica digi-compact that I am trialing.

l1000714.jpg

l1000716.jpg

l1000719.jpg

l1000713.jpg

l1000721.jpg

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Cooperson said:
That's a good question Bonneville. It's different, but in a good way. My medium weight Aero has an almost spray painted look about it and no smell to it at all. This has filled the house with that lovely horsehide aroma, just like my heavy horse Highwayman did. The feel of this is heavy but pliable, not quite as heavy as the Highwayman but still substantial. As to the look - it's hard to put into words. The hide is a very even color, all over the jacket, which I like, but doesn't look painted like the medium Aero horse. It's probably not as translucent a finish as the Highwayman but equally as gorgeous and the grain is breaking out all over it already.

I've tried to do my best with the description, but assessing leather is a very subjective thing. I love the Aero heavy horse and I now love this too. Let's just say, I don't think you would be disappointed if you got your hands on one.

Cheers

From reading about veg. tan vs. chrome (if I'm not mistaken) I understand that the veg tan tends to leave the leather with a feeling of greater density (which can be felt and appreciated) as compared to chrome tanned which slightly "plumps up" the feeling of the leather. I think the denser the feeling to leather the better it is. Some cheap/poor? chrome tan leather almost feels like foam when you handle it, yech!
Did you happen to notice the density when handling yours?

Cooperson

One Too Many
pipvh - Many thanks. You're right about jacket length and a certain look, it's seems to be a very fine line between spot on and just not quite right.

jon z - I don't know about obsessive (although my wife would probably disagree with that) but I do own up to being a perfectionist - in fact I'm well known for it in my job. For me, if something not quite right then it's not right - it does make buying clothes damn difficult though :mad:
By the way, if you don't like jackets with large shoulders then this Ventura pattern is for you - it's beautifully fitted across the back and shoulders.

Papa M - Thanks for the pictures. You're right, the half belt is lower on the Aero but it's also longer and a much fuller pattern altogether. Great looking jacket!

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Coop,
Yeah, the arm length of my Highwayman stayed at the stretched length.
Just like I wanted.
Enjoy that jacket.
One of the nicest I've ever seen.
Lenny

Cooperson

One Too Many
Bonneville said:
From reading about veg. tan vs. chrome (if I'm not mistaken) I understand that the veg tan tends to leave the leather with a feeling of greater density (which can be felt and appreciated) as compared to chrome tanned which slightly "plumps up" the feeling of the leather. I think the denser the feeling to leather the better it is. Some cheap/poor? chrome tan leather almost feels like foam when you handle it, yech!
Did you happen to notice the density when handling yours?

I'm not sure if I have felt any cheap chrome tanned leather, although I might have seen it without knowing what it was. Both the Aero and the Goodwear feel dense to me - both very high quality. I would say the main difference is that the Aero chrome tanned heavy front quarter horse has a definite waxy or oily finish to it, whereas the Goodwear veg tanned is dryer looking. I love them both and would have another jacket, in either hides, in a heartbeat.
Hope this helps.

Cooperson

One Too Many
OneEyeMan - Cheers Lenny. Glad the stretching technique worked. I'm just wearing and moving around in this for now, with the jacket zipped up. I'll see how much it has relaxed in a week or two before I go out in the rain :)

Pushrod - Thanks for that, I'm getting the feeling I was very lucky with this jacket. I seem to remember you were thinking about getting a medium weight leather for your move down south - did you ever get one or have you stayed with heavy stuff? Just looking for another opinion of Aero's medium weight horse.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Cooperson said:
Papa M - Thanks for the pictures. You're right, the half belt is lower on the Aero but it's also longer and a much fuller pattern altogether. Great looking jacket!

It is only on seeing photos of myself from the rear that I can appreciate how full this jacket is cut. It is marked Size 40. Normally I would go for a 42 Highwayman, and a 44 A2. Clearly this Californian would have been way too big for me if it had been a 42 or 44.

I like the fact that your Goodwear is cut much slimmer. It works well for you.
However that "mini-skirt/Ra-Ra" effect from your half belt down would probably look wrong on my 36" fat-ass.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Pushrod - Thanks for that, I'm getting the feeling I was very lucky with this jacket. I seem to remember you were thinking about getting a medium weight leather for your move down south - did you ever get one or have you stayed with heavy stuff? Just looking for another opinion of Aero's medium weight horse.
Haven't made my mind up yet as of what to get. I'm still working the docks in Jersey and it's been one heat wave after another. It's got me thinking I won't get to wear a leather jacket at all down south:(

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hi Cooperson... the jacket looks AMAZING!!!! It definitely fits you perfectly. I noticed you're wearing a shirt underneath the jacket... do you see yourself ever wearing a sweater underneath the jacket and if so then how is the jacket fitment with a sweater on?

Cooperson

One Too Many
Navin323i said:
Hi Cooperson... the jacket looks AMAZING!!!! It definitely fits you perfectly. I noticed you're wearing a shirt underneath the jacket... do you see yourself ever wearing a sweater underneath the jacket and if so then how is the jacket fitment with a sweater on?

Thanks Navin - I'm getting the feel of this vintage fit jacket but the fitted waist is too trim for sweaters. I can zip it up with a sweater underneath but it's way too tight for comfort. With just a shirt on, it hugs the body but I can move in it ok. Even when the leather has eased out a bit, I still don't think it will be suitable for sweater wear. Good job I also have my long Aero Californian, which is a broad fit and is fine with even thick sweaters.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner