Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newsboy Cap Brims: To Curve, Or Not To Curve?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

It seems that back in the 1920s and '30s, factory-fresh newsboy caps' visors (brims) came flat, and were worn either flat or curved. The extent of the curve depended on one's taste. Flat visors were more "formal", whereas curved ones appeared more rakish and broken in. For my face, at least, a curved visor works better. (See avatar at left.)

The best way to curve a visor --and set it to stay that way-- is with steam and your fingers. Heat up a tea kettle and put your cap's visor over the steam. When the visor is warm and moist, hand-shape it to curve slightly, holding the curve with your hands for a minute or two (until the visor cools and dries a bit and the curve sets in), and then put the cap on. Do you like the way it looks on you?

If the mirror tells you that the visor would look better flat, then steam it again and re-shape it flat. Alternatively, if you decide that the visor needs even more of a curve, just re-steam it and re-shape the curve into a greater arc. Hold the shape, let it cool and dry, and try it on again.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
On my Newsboys and Flat caps I usually like a curve in the bill just like you. I usually just shape it with my hands and keep doing that until it stays the way I like.

I have a few flat caps that I like better with a flat bill. Suits their profiles better. Just like you said! :D

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Cool!

I like to steam the visors because it sets the curve better. Vintage caps usually have dense cardboard visors (covered in cloth, of course) that don't set easily without steaming. Their "shape memory" wants to go back to flat.

A few vintage caps have natural rubber visors. I suspect that steaming would work for them, too.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
I like to steam the visors because it sets the curve better.

Now that I have read your post I may start doing that as well. The fast track to a beautiful curve!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I just used kettle steam to curve and shape a 30s era newboy brim. It came out great. Thanks for the tip Marc ;)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I may have to try that on my Hanna. That thing just won't curve!

My favorite caps don't actually have anything but more fabric in the brim, so they do whatever I want, when I want. [huh]

High Pockets

Practically Family
Carol from The Hat People called today and said my new newsboy's in the mail, (took only four days to make it!),......I can't wait to put my own curve to the bill!

:D Thanks for the tip on the steam!

Torpedo

One Too Many
High Pockets said:
Carol from The Hat People called today and said my new newsboy's in the mail, (took only four days to make it!),......I can't wait to put my own curve to the bill!

:D Thanks for the tip on the steam!

You will not need steam for Hat People's caps. Their bills are just cloth. In fact, NB13 is, I think, referring to them in his post.

Topper

Vendor
"Chicken and egg question".....

A) Curve due to fashion
or
B) Curve due to accidental deformation... which became fashion

When going inside, boys would remove cap and fold up into itself , typically then put in back pocket before sitting down. The Hat would then curve around the bottom, and the chair.

Merely a hypothesis....but it could be true :rolleyes:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Topper said:
When going inside, boys would remove cap and fold up into itself , typically then put in back pocket before sitting down. The Hat would then curve around the bottom, and the chair.

You've sold me on it! :D

High Pockets

Practically Family
Topper said:
"Chicken and egg question".....

A) Curve due to fashion
or
B) Curve due to accidental deformation... which became fashion

:) Well then,.....in honor of them, I'll do the same. :)

Thanks for the tip on the no-steam bend! :D

Torpedo

One Too Many
I am myself "guilty" of rolling and putting my caps into my pocket too, and another side effect is that they quickly lose the general stiffness they have when new, and acquire a better, more natural drape. To me at least, this means an improvement, too.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Shallow curve.
3878495940_5793443178_m.jpg

Dorfman Halibut
3877701099_0a1dc3263b_m.jpg

Hat People Full Touring

Now the big question: do you tilt or skew yours one way or 'tother?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails