Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice Experience at JJ Hat Center

bigbjorn

New in Town
Had a nice experience at JJ Hat Center yesterday. I know sometimes they get a bit of criticism on the forum for expensive prices, but I was in the neighborhood yesterday and dropped in at JJ Hat Center.

I was wearing a recent acquisition - a grey Cavanagh, which wore a severe front pinch and a bit of c-crown. While I love the hat, I wasn't fond of the bash at all. I went in and asked if they might be willing to steam it out for me to open crown such that I could re-bash it to my preferred center dent with small pinches.

They did, for free, and complimented me on the quality of the felt and the cav edge. I then put in my preferred bash, thanked them profusely, and strode into the brisk night. Am delighted as the hat finally feels like "mine" now.

BTW, who here only has one preferred bash? All my hats have a center dent and shallow pinches. Just the way a hat should look, I think. Though I like an unpinched fedora too.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Had a nice experience at JJ Hat Center yesterday. I know sometimes they get a bit of criticism on the forum for expensive prices, but I was in the neighborhood yesterday and dropped in at JJ Hat Center.

I was wearing a recent acquisition - a grey Cavanagh, which wore a severe front pinch and a bit of c-crown. While I love the hat, I wasn't fond of the bash at all. I went in and asked if they might be willing to steam it out for me to open crown such that I could re-bash it to my preferred center dent with small pinches.

They did, for free, and complimented me on the quality of the felt and the cav edge. I then put in my preferred bash, thanked them profusely, and strode into the brisk night. Am delighted as the hat finally feels like "mine" now.

BTW, who here only has one preferred bash? All my hats have a center dent and shallow pinches. Just the way a hat should look, I think. Though I like an unpinched fedora too.

When I stopped by there in August, I was impressed by all the shelves they had dedicated to Borsalinos. Unfortunately for me, the brim sizes they stocked were too wide at three inches, or too stingy for me, who wanted a 2 5/8, maybe 2 3/4. Something a little wider than the Como. So if they look at TFL, that's my input. Otherwise a very impressive store.

...BTW, who here only has one preferred bash? All my hats have a center dent and shallow pinches. Just the way a hat should look, I think. Though I like an unpinched fedora too.

Depending on the crown height, you can't always do some creases. With that, I have found some hats will tell you what crease they are willing to take. I've started of thinking teardrop & ended up with a diamond & vice versa. Some hats are good for center dents with a pinch. Some want long side dents & some not. When I look in the mirror I can't see the top of the hat so that part is no big deal. JMHO...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I stopped by there in August, I was impressed by all the shelves they had dedicated to Borsalinos. Unfortunately for me, the brim sizes they stocked were too wide at three inches, or too stingy for me, who wanted a 2 5/8, maybe 2 3/4. Something a little wider than the Como. So if they look at TFL, that's my input. Otherwise a very impressive store.

Hi, my local hatter is perfectly willing to cut down the too wide until you're happy with the brim size and then re-finish it. I had a Beaver Brand re-shaped and the brim cut down from 3 1/4 to 2 3/4, costing $25.00 (I think).

Later

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
The folks who work at JJ are Awesome. They know their stuff, are friendly, steam and crease your hat for free even if you don't but anything. They are not to be blamed for the high prices of their hats (specially the Borsalinos) Being on 5th avenue has a lot to do with it, I guess...

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I have never decided that I like just one style bash. I have "C" crowns, center dents, and diamond bashes. Probably diamond bashes more than any, I guess, but not because I like them more. In fact, I tend to leave a hat bash the way it came to me unless it is really bad. I've only rebashed 3 or 4 hats out of the more than 20 I've acquired.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars

I prefer a teardrop or C-crown. I like the look and I think it suits me better than a center dent. The only hats I have not bashed this way are my earliest wool felts from when I was still "learning" and didn't know any better. But I plan to try a diamond bash on my Akubra Campdraft when it finally arrives in early 2011.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay