Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Love for this Vintage Alpaca Coat

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
I see. Since it brought the subject up, how about pimps of the era, what did they wear? I wouldn't think zoots. I mean 30's and 40's pimps.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
retrofashion said:
... how about pimps of the era, what did they wear? I wouldn't think zoots. I mean 30's and 40's pimps.

I recommend that you see a very well-costumed American film from the '80s called Pennies from Heaven. In it, Christopher Walken plays a pimp, circa 1935. Extremely slicked-back "patent leather" hair, parted in the middle. Pencil moustache. Flashy striped shirt and flashy patterned suit. Flashy spectator shoes. Bright silk socks.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
I only found one picture of Walken as the pimp. LOL he looked like Howard Hughes in that. But nothing extravagant. He looked like any other 1930's film character out there. At least in the picture I found.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Are you talking about a b/w photo that comes up on Google? That picture is mislabeled. It's not of Walken in the movie; it's of Django Reinhardt, the '30s-'40s guitarist.

The Internet has practically no photos of Walken from that film. You'll just have to rent it and see it. :)

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
No. I actually found a clip of his dancing scene in the film on youtube. He looked normally dressed for the 1930's and he also looked strikingly like Hughes.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hard to love it at any price.

When those old coats are starting to lose their integrity, you can come out looking pretty scary just from trying one on. :eek:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
retrofashion said:
No. I actually found a clip of his dancing scene in the film on youtube. He looked normally dressed for the 1930's and he also looked strikingly like Hughes.

And here's the clip, below. He looks pimped out to me, circa 1935: plastered-down hair, bright purple tie and handkerchief, wide-striped shirt and suit. Just my opinion, of course.

What do the other Loungers think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7rseCwM9mU

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I love ALPACA!

Alpaca was very popular in the 1920's to the early 1940's. It's soft and warm, it came in some amazing colors. I have a few friends who own them and I think they look amazing! I own one or two my self, they are very comfortable and warm. They are mostly dark colors so, they don't appear too flashy for most.

The photos in the auction doesn't display the true attractiveness of Alpaca fur! If one was to see a real Alpaca coat up close from the 30's, he/she may have a different and accurate opinion.

I believe the coat that Tom Hanks wore in "Road to Perdition" was designed to appear like Alpaca… well, it reminded me of Alpaca anyway.:D

FM~

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Marc Chevalier
And here's the clip, below. He looks pimped out to me, circa 1935: plastered-down hair, bright purple tie and handkerchief, wide-striped shirt and suit. Just my opinion, of course.

Marc, thanks for posting that link. It's pretty dark but you can still see enough to tell that Christopher Walken is pretty pimped-out as they say, especially compared to the other fellas in the video. The two ladies, well, what can I say? VaVaVoom!
What range for a actor. :eusa_clap
This is the same man who made The Deer Hunter, Heaven's Gate, and The Dogs of War (among others).
Now I gotta rent the film. :D

:eek: Is this thread about Alpaca?

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:

What do the other Loungers think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7rseCwM9mU

OK, I watched the clip again in full screen mode and now I see what you mean. In the small screen and it being so dark you couldn't really see the pattern on the suit or anything else. They seems to be double stripes, if there's such a term, as the stripes seem to go in pairs, one next to the other. From a distance they give the impression of being one fat stripe. Is there a certain limit when it comes to stripes? Too wide or too spaced, too pimpy? What do you guys consider too much? Double stripes are easily too much, but in general.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
retrofashion said:
OK, I watched the clip again in full screen mode and now I see what you mean. In the small screen and it being so dark you couldn't really see the pattern on the suit or anything else. They seems to be double stripes, if there's such a term, as the stripes seem to go in pairs, one next to the other. From a distance they give the impression of being one fat stripe. Is there a certain limit when it comes to stripes? Too wide or too spaced, too pimpy? What do you guys consider too much? Double stripes are easily too much, but in general.

he looked fly to me...didn't think it was too much...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy