Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I had the pleasure of meeting Mike yesterday. He gave an old Open Road I dragged up a bit of TLC for me. Mile does great work , and I will be getting a hat made in the near future.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
And don't forget Penman Hats in the Portland area. This state is indeed blessed with some fantastic talented hatters. And although not in Oregon, but just up the road a ways is Tumwater Hats. So overall the Northwest has a large pool of very talented hatters.

fedoralover

Since we're in Washinton now don't forget Bob Jesse of Black Sheep Hat Works but we could be getting off topic here.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
67D01AB4.jpg

56AFBE63.jpg

5C7878F3.jpg

The pics above show the before and after of my Beaver Brand OR-style hat that Mike had renovated. I asked him to give me a couple of options for the edge binding. He sent me pics of a light, almost silver, ribbon and a beige, almost gold color. It was his suggestion to go with the lighter colored ribbon; he thought it added a nicer touch, as it was more subtle. However, at that time I wanted something with greater contrast, so I chose the darker of the two.

Mike did a fine job, and I was very happy with the results. You can tell he had the right tools to do the job. Recently, though, I thought that the binding was taking away from the brim width. We went with a 7/8" ribbon on a 2 3/8" brim, giving us approximately 1/2" on the top and bottom of the brim. While you could clearly identify the edge of the brim as I was wearing it, the contrast of the ribbon and felt created a narrower perceived width. Mike called it, and while I can't say that I'd be happier with the lighter colored ribbon, he knew what would look best.

I took the ribbon off today to preserve the brim and retain a minimalist appearance. This hat only needs the contrast between the charcoal / blue-grey crown ribbon and the silverbelly felt. I'm very happy I did. :thumb: It will wear well with my entire wardrobe, rather than a more formal feel. After I removed the ribbon I steamed the edge to "swell" the felt and fill in the stitch holes. There is still a very faint line where the stitches were. It's so subtle that I love how it looks. And the raw edge is so sharp I can cut steak with it! :)

9C885871.jpg

21536882.jpg

8CC77C9D.jpg

8FA676AF.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
AnA; The hat is a totally different fedora from the before pic. I agree that the current version, without the 7/8 " binding ribbon, is more subtle. I do like the new look. I imagine the hat will work well when you wear it with your everyday office attire. Looks like a sharp hat sir.

Best, Eric -

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Eric! The first conversion was meant to look like one of Rabbit's VS hats. You have a few light colored VS's that I have admired, as well. Now it kinda reminds me of those. :)

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
David I must admit I've never been a fan of contrasting ribbon/brim treatments so naturally like the after much better. Think you have a much more versatile hat now.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, guys. :)

I really liked the binding when I first got it, but it proved limited. After it sat in on the shelf without much head time, I decided to make the change. It's now a totally different hat. :thumb:

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I had recently acquired a "pre Beaver Brand" 100% clear beaver hat that nasty would be a understatement. I sent it to Mike at Northwest Hatters for a refurbish and conversion. I am hard pressed to believe he sent the same hat back. A complete clean, reblock, new ribbon and brim binding and it went from being condemned by the health department to a very nice hat--he does great work

Reactions: jlw

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Anybody do similar work here in the Northeast? The guy does GREAT work but I'm just trying to avoid Coast to Coast shipping and manglage!

Worf

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Another Make over

I've had this Knox fedora for years and after a lot of wear it got relegated to being a yard hat. The sweatband was bad and the edge binding and ribbon were both stained and faded. I looked at it the other day and decided that since the felt was still in very good shape I should have Mike at Northwest hatters give it a make over. Since he is only 5 minutes from my house it was an easy drop off. I told Mike to do what he wanted with it as I didn't care. So he picked out the colors and ribbon. He put a small satin badge in the crown rather than a regular liner to make it cooler in the summer. Mike sews those in by hand and you can't see a single stitch. I don't know how he does it. He did his usual top notch work on it. It kinda resembles a Whippet now.

fedoralover

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Great Hat fedoralover too purty for a yard hat now !
Any before pics ?

I have the same linerless interior on the last hat he made me works & feels great .

Dan Allen nice work on your redo as well clean & spiffy !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk