Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nylon & Leather: Go well Together, B2 Cap & L2A :-)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never had a lot of time for B2 caps, had a shinny ELC one in the same shade as my BOB Irvin & personally felt too 'leather bound' wearing the two at the same time...same effect when in combination with any of my leather flight jackets. I ended up with an A4 mechanics cap (sold B2) & found wool and leather to my liking.

Last few years I've been getting into my nylon flight jackets & was stunned on watching 'The Hunters' by a combination of nylon flight jackets and B2 leather caps worn together during the Korean Conflict.

Had a jacket clear out and the proceeds went on a Buzz L2A & ELC '50 Cal' (beaten up look) B2 leather cap...I now love wearing my early nylon jackets with this cap..especially my B-15's.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!hkFDyHT6WZYBQ+qjFgds!~~60_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!hkFDyHT6WZYBQ+qjFgds!~~60_35.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 375

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I Like Using my homemade clone of a black Leather 50s B-1 Style Squadron hat over my ELC B-2 when it comes to more modern Made Jackets.

I Use my B-2 cap Exclusively with the B-3 Jacket or D-1 or A-2 etc.

Again, getting soiled quickly is not what I intended to do with my ELC7 B-2...was a lot of money for me as a kid to buy it, I want it to last my whole lifetime and beyond.

I can make you one if youre interested, its as warm as the B-2 in my oppinion but more durable I would say..matches better with an MA-1 Jacket or mechanics Coveralls.

2335.jpg 23545.jpg 23tttg.jpg

Ive made four or five of these now, gotten better at quilting the lining and generally shaping them and patterning and putting them together better than this one by a bunch, got better brim thickness too, this one in the pic is a hair thicker than the original I copied it from.

Another Downside for me with Flight Gear like these hats is I cannot find any form of Facial hair that is well suited with the Glasses and Hats, I normally make a big deal out of my day and get all primped up before I go out.

get myself a nice hot hot Shave before I throw the silk towel around and over the shoulder. :D

Last edited:

bn1966

Wow....love the B-1 Dumpster...that's impressive!!! Thanks...I'd like one very much...would be great as you say with an MA1. It's a shame these days that the facial hair isn't the '5 o'clock' Black shade it used to be.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Absolutely I want to make you one.

haha.

Still trying to work on some type of *non* Regulation Facial hair, a light moustache is acceptable, but not always called for, thats the most I can pull off wearing one of these and liking what I see in the mirror that is.

You are a seven and a half, the pattern Im using is about Seven and three Quarters, but fits me ok and Im Seven and an eight, the fit is Relaxed and not so Tight so I imagine to keep your hat on in the breeze you would probly need the headset to go with it or earflap down. Also, its too warm for yard work Even in september I would say, I REALLY REALLY Like how there is no *smartie* on this Hat, probly because your headset would push that into your head and it would hurt after a mission.

Of course its not *spec* to the Nines...but a close as I can get Like I said.

Im changing only a few minor materials. making these hats has shown me that there is a LOT of thought going into the material Selection beforehand of all our clothes.

The liner of the earflap is more modern gold Nylon Fleece stuff (the original was kind of like a shaggy Tennis ball kind of flannel stuff), the problem is the insolated liner material is Like an Oldschool flight suit..hard stuff to find. I can closely match it with Some Greenish-gold Suit Jacket liner, but those of us who *know* the oldschool poly Weave stuff from the first Generation nylon flight suits or whatever...Just isnt *quite* like the real thing exactly, but a solid pass as a homemade Repro for sure anyday...garaunteee... the modern Equivelancy.

Im wearing my first one as hard as I can get to make sure the liner will last long, so far the satin gold fades after its been soaked or washed or eventually saturated with sweat..but Im wearing mine housepainting to make sure it can withstand the abuse.

Im still working on perfecting the quilting and getting fast at making them, right now I could never sell them by the hour, They take me too long to make by the hour still because Im so Totally new to everything...and Sewing with a machine.

Im Just thinking because Im no professional yet...I would have to charge what everyone could agree is reasonable.

Technically I know people who would charge $200 bucks for this hat...honestly The thought of that kind of money entertains me...but I know * me* myself, wouldnt buy one for that price even if it was all *bonafide* with a label and everything else that is full-pro.

I still would like to see the Quarter master do a job like this one and compare mine to see whos got the *touch* of a *theatre* made Flight hat.

Im trying to get the selling price between $ 80-100 before I sell anything, right now they are *technically* worth probly 135-150 depending how they turn out...quality control just isnt there yet so...that being said, all the hats will vary hugely in Both price and quality and material, Just doing the best with what Ive got so thats all anyone can ever ask of me.

Leather is also *critical* some of my Leather is shiny, some dull, some slick, some coarse, some thicker, some lighter etc etc...I use a pair of old leather pants and can get maybe 4 hats from one pair..so pretty decent.

We will have to talk about your leather preferences for sure here, I will have to do some serious diving.

What I *would* find ideal is a parachute from a skydive dropzone to make the liners from.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Also here is what I believe to be one of the single most RAREST of all Squadron hats; 11.jpg 666.jpg catch-22-1970-01-g.jpg 9f43e8a449663a2ec75a038c8bfee827.jpg

Im currently getting this one into my pattern rep.

I would like to know something about this red hat.

its been discussed on the US military forum before, no one can give me any idea the set and setting these red Vinyl hats were used in.

WHO made them!!!

Its been debated that the reason the vinyl was used was because it was new Post war *wonder* material and cheaper and more available in large quantities than leather. (makes perfect sense seeing as most of the leather materials were probly mostly all used up still from WWII at the time and they deliberately pushed to develop this for that exact reason and purpose in mind)

and also secondly, WHY RED!!!

All I can tell you is about this hat is I have one and the only single other one Ive ever seen was worn by Martin sheen here in Catch-22 as you obviously know Yo-yo!!!

, and it was not cheap. Its too small to wear and thats probly the biggest reason its still around today and surviving in good shape. of course the red pleather material has gone funny like its tacky! like an old plastic barbie doll that was stored poorly. I think its one of those petrol based substances and I notice That The same problem actually occurs with Reel to reel audio tape!!!

its known as *sticky Shed* syndrome in the Geekier end of the tapehead world.

Its when the *binder* holding the glue that bonds the magnetic oxide coating and seals it to the poly backing begins to break down. Commonly known in geek terms as *Binder Failure* (anyway theres your arbitrary trivia for today)

B-15 and THIS hat were made for one another!(..I think Literally)

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
The B-2/L-2A combo looks good to me, BN! Very "The Hunters" as you say (which I've recently seen for the first time. Those mass F-86 shots - WOW !!!) Maybe I should have put my own B-2 on too when I took my photos of my L2-A last weekend …!
You also remind me that I MUST get down to my sunglasses shop and get a new pair of aviators - my favourite pair were stolen from our car last year. A plague on whoever pinched them.
Will post my new jacket asap …

bn1966

Thanks Stand By,

Where are your L2A photos?...Don't keep us in suspense! Lets see that B2 as well.

I've really lost the plot this time with my nylon purchases!!! N-3A ...! How warm will that be? Temperatures have risen over here again (back to T-Shirts).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400784915518?

Got the Aviators (used) for a good price off of the Bay, (a 'Pox' on the thief who stole yours) I'm mainly a 'Wayfarer' man...but love my RayBan Aviators (Polaroid) especially for early morning driving (UK Winter Sun). Love that look with the nylons....jackets that is.

dmar836

New in Town
Diver,
I'm sure you know by now that such caps were private purchase. Since they were not issued they were sourced from sporting goods suppliers, Sears, etc.
Keep up the work!
Dave

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've got two B2's. One from that Aussie outfit that's my everyday. Wore it today actually, makes my haid sweat. I also have a Eastman "short bill" I got used of the 'bay. I actually like the cheap aussie better. Fits better, bills more flexible and it has no USAAF logo on it.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner