Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

newsman

One of the Regulars
Chartreuse. Why does it exist and why is it so expensive? Is there something that it can mix in that tastes good?

I think this made by monks...and the color gets it's name from the drink.

Not something I would choose to drink often for sure.

Someone just mentioned Compari. I saw a bottle in a store last night and...had to laugh to myself. Every time I see it I think of Jerry Falwell. The two ended up in a supreme court case.

Don't know if I could get it past my nose! :p But it DOES look nice, very fancy and probably better than the cheap stuff by far.
I think the cup is for those old vicars that like to camoflage a wee nip in the afternoon. ;)

The old Martini in tea cup eh? :p
You could get it past your nose as Hendricks smells fresh with a flora and slight cucumber scent. No gasoline here. :p

I think this made by monks...and the color gets it's name from the drink.

Not something I would choose to drink often for sure.

Someone just mentioned Compari. I saw a bottle in a store last night and...had to laugh to myself. Every time I see it I think of Jerry Falwell. The two ended up in a supreme court case.

A cocktail that maks Chartreuse useful. :p

Ingredients
2½ oz. rye whiskey(Sazerac)
¼ oz. green Chartreuse
½ tsp. simple syrup
Absinthe rinse
2 dashes lemon bitters
Lemon twist
[h=4]Instructions[/h]Stir rye, Chartreuse, and syrup over ice in a cocktail mixing glass. Add a splash of absinthe into a coupe glass, and swirl to coat the inside of the glass before discarding the absinthe (down the hatch:p). Strain rye mixture into glass; top with bitters and garnish with a lemon twist.

itsbruce

Familiar Face
Mostly cheap Gin is like "rot gut". Bombay Blue Sapphire is not too bad. But Gin is an acquired taste, the same as many hard liquors are. I do not like Gin, nor Vodka, and actually never have liked much of any booze products. I do have a beer about three times a week, and that is it.

Aside from the Hendricks that James has been recommending (and it is nice), you might try one of the Old Tom gins that are becoming more popular again. It's an old fashioned (18th century) version, a little sweeter than the London Dry gins which dominated the 20th century.

Aside from the Hendricks that James has been recommending (and it is nice), you might try one of the Old Tom gins that are becoming more popular again. It's an old fashioned (18th century) version, a little sweeter than the London Dry gins which dominated the 20th century.

Old Tom is another decent one. It is mentioned in many old bartender books as a general term for gin----it was that popular back then.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Don't know if I could get it past my nose! :p But it DOES look nice, very fancy and probably better than the cheap stuff by far.
I think the cup is for those old vicars that like to camoflage a wee nip in the afternoon. ;)

You are probably correct about the "Vicker" and the cup...either that or...it was for "Frau Klink"......lol!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Old Tom is another decent one. It is mentioned in many old bartender books as a general term for gin----it was that popular back then.

I guess "Old Tom" is a good enough name for someone's Gin.....and for a Ghetto sort of brand name...."Otis..what floor please"....!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Ghetto would be Ripple. :p
I think you are right! Then for the almost "country" and almost "red neck" crowd, it was "Boones Farm".....(Guaranteed to make you toss your lunch after bottle number one)........Boones Farm is also rumored to be the real reason we have not had any "aliens" contact us....instead, drinkers have contacted the "aliens".....

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
But now that I think of what is really some nasty stuff...so nasty I have not even tasted nor smelled the stuff...you know exactly what I mean, too...that cheap skate wine at the Grocery Store...it is in a gallon jug...yes...a jug...like "shine" should be in....but it is even a cheap jug....clear glass....pink wine...says something about a "Rose" on the outside of the bottle, and they seem to be priced about $2.95 or something like that???? A Gallon of pure, liquid nausea....I know it smells perhaps like that old sickly perfume that some old gals would wear to the funeral home....sickly.... That stuff has to be bad...real bad....they could give that stuff a "nick name"...(Bad to the Bone).

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
ON the other side...some wine at the Grocery Stores seem to prove not so bad...in fact, some have to be really inspirational to those that would consume it....something like, "Blue Nunn"....If you pay any real attention while you are shopping, you will have seen this (where we live this is VERY common)....someone will sneak open a bottle of Blue Nunn while they are pushing a shopping cart full of stuff....but what are they really doing? For one...they are going to drink that whole bottle...and not pay for it...then they are sneaking some onion rolls opened.....tossing some meats and cream cheese on that onion bun....mustard....few more sips of the Blue Nunn....then when the sandwich is consumed...and the Blue Nunn is empty...the person simple leaves the store...belching and burping all the way out the door.

I think you are right! Then for the almost "country" and almost "red neck" crowd, it was "Boones Farm".....(Guaranteed to make you toss your lunch after bottle number one)........Boones Farm is also rumored to be the real reason we have not had any "aliens" contact us....instead, drinkers have contacted the "aliens".....

Aliens use Boones Farm as fuel for their spaceships. :p

ON the other side...some wine at the Grocery Stores seem to prove not so bad...in fact, some have to be really inspirational to those that would consume it....something like, "Blue Nunn"....If you pay any real attention while you are shopping, you will have seen this (where we live this is VERY common)....someone will sneak open a bottle of Blue Nunn while they are pushing a shopping cart full of stuff....but what are they really doing? For one...they are going to drink that whole bottle...and not pay for it...then they are sneaking some onion rolls opened.....tossing some meats and cream cheese on that onion bun....mustard....few more sips of the Blue Nunn....then when the sandwich is consumed...and the Blue Nunn is empty...the person simple leaves the store...belching and burping all the way out the door.

That is a new twist on the dine and dash scam.:doh:

dnjan

One Too Many
ON the other side...some wine at the Grocery Stores seem to prove not so bad...
I remember Tryolia - the predecessor to wine coolers.
We would buy a big jug of Tryolia and a big bag of salted-in-the-shell peanuts.

Gather around the TV, with the Tryolia poured in water glasses (wine glasses were too good for it), bag of peanuts poured into a large bowl, and spend the evening enjoying whatever 1-star movie was on TV that night. I seem to partially remember one about "invasion of the Amazon women ...".

I remember Tryolia - the predecessor to wine coolers.
We would buy a big jug of Tryolia and a big bag of salted-in-the-shell peanuts.

Gather around the TV, with the Tryolia poured in water glasses (wine glasses were too good for it), bag of peanuts poured into a large bowl, and spend the evening enjoying whatever 1-star movie was on TV that night. I seem to partially remember one about "invasion of the Amazon women ...".

think I know why you just partially remember. :p

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
But now that I think of what is really some nasty stuff...so nasty I have not even tasted nor smelled the stuff...you know exactly what I mean, too...that cheap skate wine at the Grocery Store...it is in a gallon jug...yes...a jug...like "shine" should be in....but it is even a cheap jug....clear glass....pink wine...says something about a "Rose" on the outside of the bottle, and they seem to be priced about $2.95 or something like that???? A Gallon of pure, liquid nausea....I know it smells perhaps like that old sickly perfume that some old gals would wear to the funeral home....sickly.... That stuff has to be bad...real bad....they could give that stuff a "nick name"...(Bad to the Bone).

Wild Irish Rose. The drink of those who have no desire to remain living...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21