Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Ok, now you have disguised the wierd taste of Pimm's. Try it straight and tell me you like it. ;) :p

Ha ha! James if I said that then I would be telling porky pies (lies) I wil absolutely agree that on it's own it's rather foul.

That reminds me of a bottle of Pisang Ambon I had which declared in big letters on the label.

"Don't Drink It On It's Own"

apparently milk is the correct mixer [huh]

Ethan Bentley said:
Ha ha! James if I said that then I would be telling porky pies (lies) I wil absolutely agree that on it's own it's rather foul.

That reminds me of a bottle of Pisang Ambon I had which declared in big letters on the label.

"Don't Drink It On It's Own"

apparently milk is the correct mixer [huh]

Well that drink is aptly named in the first part if it tastes that bad. ;) :p
However the way it is described, with banana and other tropical fruit flavors, I wouldn't expect it to taste as bad as Pimm's straight.
I could be wrong though. [huh]

Few people would drink vermouth on it's own and something like Angostura Bitters would be horrendous. There are items that are meant to be part of the mix much like a a spice as seasoning.

Recipe for Traditional Pimm's No 1 is easy - Take a jug or glass and fill it with ice, mix one part Pimm’s No. 1 with 3 parts chilled lemonade, add some mint, cucumber, orange and strawberry.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An excellent argument, John. Now, if you don't mind, can you tell me what is IN Pimm's and what it tastes like?

From what I have seen on line it has a gin and quinine base with a herbal infusion.

To be honest, I don't recall ever having it in anything but knew that it's some kind of mixer. The #1 is gin based, there are supposed to be other numbers that are based on other liquors.

John in Covina said:
Few people would drink vermouth on it's own and something like Angostura Bitters would be horrendous. There are items that are meant to be part of the mix much like a a spice as seasoning.

Recipe for Traditional Pimm's No 1 is easy - Take a jug or glass and fill it with ice, mix one part Pimm’s No. 1 with 3 parts chilled lemonade, add some mint, cucumber, orange and strawberry.

That may be true but there are connoisseurs of Vodka who do drink it straight.[huh]
Bitters are meant to be added to something else as they are concentrated.
If I need to doctor Pimm's that much, I could use rum or whisky instead and make a better tasting drink. :p

John in Covina said:
From what I have seen on line it has a gin and quinine base with a herbal infusion.

To be honest, I don't recall ever having it in anything but knew that it's some kind of mixer. The #1 is gin based, there are supposed to be other numbers that are based on other liquors.

It is gin based. The other numbers have been discontinued from what we have discussed here. [huh]
I think it is a gin and Hemlock concotion myself. ;) lol

jamespowers said:
That may be true but there are connoisseurs of Vodka who do drink it straight.[huh] Bitters are meant to be added to something else as they are concentrated. If I need to doctor Pimm's that much, I could use rum or whisky instead and make a better tasting drink. :p

What abut vermouth? Most people would consider dry vermouth as a mixer, sweet vermouth would probably be acceptable to more people straight on the rocks but it is accepted as a mixer. Maybe Pimms is considered a concentrate?

John in Covina said:
What abut vermouth? Most people would consider dry vermouth as a mixer, sweet vermouth would probably be acceptable to more people straight on the rocks but it is accepted as a mixer. Maybe Pimms is considered a concentrate?

Yep, concentrated rat poison. ;) :p
Vermouth has quite a following in some circles. In Italy it is an apertif.
I consider Tia Maria a mixer but I would still drink it straight. :D

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John in Covina said:

Ooh strawberry that's a bit modern! :eek: ;)
Some people are very fussy about such things and are a traditionalist for Borage instead of Cucumber.

However, both cucumbers and strawberries are fun to munch once you've drunk your Pimms Cup. (may I suggest trying a strawberry garnish in a Hendricks and Tonic)

As long as the strawberries haven't been kept in syrup first I'm ok with it.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
It is gin based. The other numbers have been discontinued from what we have discussed here. [huh]
I think it is a gin and Hemlock concotion myself. ;) lol

Brandy No.3 and Vodka No.6 are still available in the UK.

John, you're description is quite apt. I know some people make a home version using red vermouth and gin.

Also to describe it as a concentrate is pretty true too, it may not be technically [huh] , but it certainly acts that way.

Apparently mixing it with Ginger Ale turn it into a Pimms American.

Ethan Bentley said:
Brandy No.3 and Vodka No.6 are still available in the UK.

John, you're description is quite apt. I know some people make a home version using red vermouth and gin.

Also to describe it as a concentrate is pretty true too, it may not be technically [huh] , but it certainly acts that way.

Apparently mixing it with Ginger Ale turn it into a Pimms American.

Brandy sounds promising but I have not found it on the shelves here.
Yep, concentrated rat poison. ;) :p

Mrs Bentley

New in Town
Ethan Bentley said:
However, both cucumbers and strawberries are fun to munch once you've drunk your Pimms Cup. (may I suggest trying a strawberry garnish in a Hendricks and Tonic)

As long as the strawberries haven't been kept in syrup first I'm ok with it.
And apple! The flavours added by the garnishes are all a part of why I like Pimm's - I have to admit that even I (well-known to be a fan of it) wasn't very fond of a version once made by a friend of mine, who insisted on giving me less lemonade than Pimm's (and no garnish or ice). I think if I wasn't going to take the time to make it into a pleasant long drink, I'd rather just have it over ice - it might not be so bad neat if it was very cold?

"Winter" Pimm's (brandy based) is delicious mixed with apple juice and served warm. I've never tried it on its own, though... I think another tasting is in order (neat Pimm's cups!).

Mrs Bentley said:
And apple! The flavours added by the garnishes are all a part of why I like Pimm's - I have to admit that even I (well-known to be a fan of it) wasn't very fond of a version once made by a friend of mine, who insisted on giving me less lemonade than Pimm's (and no garnish or ice). I think if I wasn't going to take the time to make it into a pleasant long drink, I'd rather just have it over ice - it might not be so bad neat if it was very cold?

Cold or ice doesn't work for me. Still Lysol.
I had my wife taste it just to be sure and it just about came up on her. :eusa_doh: [huh] :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot