Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old candy bars were called lunch bars?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The kids at work are fiends for Nutella, but it just isn't for me. I don't like hazelnuts -- and calling them "hazelnuts" doesn't fool me, I say they're "filberts" and I say the hell with it -- and I don't like chocolate mixed with anything but chocolate. The idea of dunking vegetables in Nutella, as they do, is too jarring for my mind to comprehend.

Marshmallow Fluff is New England's greatest contribution to world cuisine.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
If you look at the ingredients list on a jar of Nutella, you'll see the 2 major ingredients are veg oil & suger. There also some health concerns since it contains phtalate DEHP, a known endocrine disruptor & may possibly be carcinogenic. Ferrero (the manufacturers) admit that Nutella does contain phtalate but affirm it is in too small quantities to have an impact on health.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I am very disappointed to hear that Mondelez is expanding. It's a company with a rotten labor record, and I may find myself looking for another product line to sell at the concession stand if such a deal goes thru.

We used to have a coconut product here called "Seavey's Needham," made by the "Lou-Rod Candy Company" in Lewiston, and they were better than any of the name brand coconut bars. The filling was a mixture of shredded coconut and mashed potatoes, coated in a really rich chocolate shell. They were sold only in Maine, in a distinctive orange-and-blue wax paper wrapper that hadn't changed its design since the Hoover administration, and there was nothing like them. The company folded about twenty years ago, and while there's recipes online for making fake Needhams at home, none of them equal the real deal.

I picked up a can of peanuts at the grocery store the other day, but I haven't gotten around to dismantling it yet. It does feel like there's more to it than cardboard, but whether it's some kind of laminated material or just a flexible inner lining remains to be seen.

A fellow I know who used to run the second largest nut-packing country in the land tells me that the new packaging is pressurized with nitrogen rather than vacuum packed as of old. In addition to preventing oxidation of the nut oils, nitrogen pressurization also provides the relatively flimsy cardboard container with a measure of rigidity in transit.

A fellow I know who used to run the second largest nut-packing country in the land tells me that the new packaging is pressurized with nitrogen rather than vacuum packed as of old. In addition to preventing oxidation of the nut oils, nitrogen pressurization also provides the relatively flimsy cardboard container with a measure of rigidity in transit.

That makes perfect sense and fits with what I've noticed. The "can" seemed "sealed -" almost in a vacuum-packed light way - you get a tiny pop now, not the big swoosh sound of old. And the "can" is a flimsy, so it makes sense they'd want to do something to allow it to maintain its shape and protect the peanuts in transit. Great color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo