Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OPTIMO FINE HATS: A Photographic Excursion

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Al,
Went to the Monadock - downtown location did not have time to get to Beverly. Picked out my first Montecristi - teardrop fedora version, it just arrived! Once I can figure how to get photos up I'll post them. Although not as high a grade as your hat, I'm very pleased with both their help and craftmanship. Almost left with a milan but will get one next time. I have a feeling this is going to be habit forming. :D

Outstanding, Steve, and congratulations! The felts and Milans are irresistible enough, but those Montecristis, well, that is dependency on an altogether inexplicable level! Look forward to your photos with anticipation. :)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
You know, I started collecting Optimo interior photos some 3 years back, and this is really the ultimate! I asked before and if I remember you are using a Nikon D90, but what lens? Great pics!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, D'guy! You have a most keen memory! I am indeed using a three year old D90 with f/3.5, 18-105mm DX lens. Over 140,000 shutter actuations to date. I am trying to wear it out so that Lydia will be agreeable to an M9 or M8. Have had my favorite camera and lens, an M6 with f/1.4 Summilux 50mm just sitting around since the world went digital, and as you know, Leica glass is a terrible shame to waste!

I would be thrilled if you would share your OPTIMO photos in this thread. We would all enjoy them immensely!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Oh, 50mm 1.4...I think its time to go back to Film! The photo`s (taken by other lounge members), are not on my backups, so not sure where they went to, but if I can find the links, I`ll place them here.

wine65

One of the Regulars
Outstanding, Steve, and congratulations! The felts and Milans are irresistible enough, but those Montecristis, well, that is dependency on an altogether inexplicable level! Look forward to your photos with anticipation. :)

Al,
Posted photos to the Panama hat thread. Need a lesson from you - your photos are fantastic!!! That old building is wonderful inside and out.
Steve

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
As fascinating a study as handsome in wares; thanks so much for that literally grand tour. Wish I were there. You always look so well turned-out, right down to you boutonniere, but may I respectfully suggest that you save those sunglasses for wear with a pilot's helmet? :D They seem to jar your whole beautifully polished image for me!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great pics Al , felt just like being there, except not being able to touch any of the hats!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Al, wonderful photos. There are so many different styles and shapes but you rock it all.
You can wear every style of Hat and it looks very sharp.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Been there....done that. I was at Optimo almost 10 years ago...my first trip to Chicago. Kevin, Gram, Marlene..all were wonderful hosts. I have a lot photos from then...

Graham looks a bit older now...Still, he is the master. Love him.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Che: Thanks once again!

Mike: You are most kind, thank you!

Steve: Your new Montecristi is fabulous, a masterpiece of toquilla weaving! Thanks for your kind words, I am humbled! There are quite a number of excellent photography tutorials in the forum, written by far better photographers, but if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to provide any assistance I can. The Monadnock Building is indeed as beautiful as it is intriguing.

Ray: Thank you for your very kind comments. Your feedback is duly noted, and sincerely appreciated! :)

bond: Appreciate your nice words! You are right, of course, the photos do not do the hats justice. They need to be seen, handled, and worn to be properly enjoyed.

Manfred: Many thanks, my friend!

Andykev: As one of the lounge's senior statesmen I reckoned that you would perhaps have some experiences and photos from OPTIMO's early days to share. I am certain they would be absolutely fascinating, and serve as an important study and documentation in the evolution of a great hat shop and Master Hatmaker.

Kevin was still around the shop last year at this time, but I have not seen him of late. He is possibly busy with family. Marlene, I have not had the pleasure of meeting, and I am uncertain if she is still with OPTIMO. Graham may be ten years older since you last saw him, but his enthusiasm and passion for his art keep him eternally youthful, as a child. We should all be so fortunate!

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Al; For those of us arranging our schedules to head of to Optimo in the coming months I have a couple of basic queries. How do I go about becoming a client? Should I make advance preparations, like when visiting a tailor (introductions, timing/appointment bookings, pics, sizings wardrobe samples and references.) ,but of course hat appropriate? If time is limited, which shop is highest priority to visit in pursuit of warm weather hats?

Of late I have been reading through the panama/milan threads on the forum. Priceless info and pics are here. Granted some are buried, but worthy of the hunt. Al, your new thread contributes greatly to my edification - THANKS!

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Al; For those of us arranging our schedules to head of to Optimo in the coming months I have a couple of basic queries. How do I go about becoming a client? Should I make advance preparations, like when visiting a tailor (introductions, timing/appointment bookings, pics, sizings wardrobe samples and references.) ,but of course hat appropriate? If time is limited, which shop is highest priority to visit in pursuit of warm weather hats?

Of late I have been reading through the panama/milan threads on the forum. Priceless info and pics are here. Granted some are buried, but worthy of the hunt. Al, your new thread contributes greatly to my edification - THANKS!

I just stopped in when I visited them & Graham and his staff couldn't have been nicer and very accommodating with their time. My one suggestion is if you are planning on stopping in on a weekend I would try to get in there early if you plan on spending some time ordering or designing a hat, they get a lot of walk in business for cleaning and rebuilds.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
For the record Lefty and BobC have very fine photos of Optimo as well, wonder if someone could link the threads for the record...

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Eric, if you are specifically contemplating a straw hat for the Summer, I would suggest that you prioritize visiting the Southside location, as there are simply more Milans and Montecristis there to look at, in many different styles, colors, sizes and grades(Montecristi). Additionally, you should consider calling ahead to speak with either Tiffani or Graham and arrange to meet with Graham if your schedules permit, as Graham can take conformateur measurements on you if necessary. Graham's very talented staff of seamstresses, including Lucy, can swap out ribbons while you are there, and you can also examine many dozen unblocked Montecristi bodies Graham has on hand to really develop a feel for them before making a decision.

The Downtown location is essentially a retail shop only, stocking quite a good selection of felts and straws, but the range of sizes and quality levels, particularly in the Montecristis, is by necessity more limited. Graham and Tiffani do spend a limited amount of time there during the week, and Tiffani occasionally will be there on Saturdays.

As far as preparation for your visit, I would say that you should relax and enjoy your visit without worrying over too many details. Particularly with evaluating the Montecristis, which look great with an incredibly wide range of attire, there is no need to wear specific clothing to the shop. The great benefit to visiting in person, is the ability to try on dozens of felts and straws in a mind-boggling array of colors, styles and finishes, and you will likely be surprised by how well certain brim widths, crown heights, and colors look on you, which you would not have otherwise considered from photographs or hat specifications alone.

I know you will have a great time, and we look forward to hearing about your visit. Perhaps you can also indulge us with some photographs as well!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails