Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OPTIMO FINE HATS: A Photographic Excursion

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank you all, gentlemen! Matt, zetwal, Randall, daedalus, BR, McMurdo, Manfred, gqmagic, LoveMyHats2, tealseal, Mike, Ed, and Steve, your kind words are sincerely appreciated.

Matt: If you like Graham's felts, you will be astounded by his straws.

daedalus: The Mitchum is a fine looking hat, particularly suited for taller, bigger fellows. Have a great trip there in July!

Ed: The caps are made for Graham by a maker in France who have been in operation for over 130 years. Very fine materials and workmanship. They are not, strictly speaking however, 8-panel newsboys, deriving inspiration instead from the Basque beret. The fuller cut and shorter brim are very well suited for men with larger, broader faces, in my opinion, and I quite like them. As for the straws, they are all made on vintage blocks, predominantly from France. Graham is ever searching for these vintage blocks, sourcing them on the Continent, and it is not always easy to obtain the blocks in all sizes. I do enjoy the variety.

Last edited:
Scrumptious photo essay, AL... thanks for your work on this (and Lydia too, I'm guessing.)

I think it is totally fitting that Graham chose your likeness for his storefront statue. Congratulations! :)

scaled.php

delectans

Call Me a Cab
My goodness I do look rather petrified in that photo! lol

Thanks, Alan, and indeed Lydia, as well as Ryan, helped with the lens work. I will pass along your compliments their way. :)

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Al; Thanks a bunch. Your pics show the Optimo's shop to be a hat afficianto's wonder world. The obvious care that Optimo takes in their hats and clients is clear in your pics. Your light colored new felt is a hat that I have been enjoying in the couple of pics you have shown on the FL. Cheers for that stately, handsome hat.

Your pic of the Optimo staff adjusting straw brims is very telling. The pics show caution and delicate handling of those prized beauties. I do enjoy seeing the different variety of hats on your head. Your personal choices I like the best.

I am pondering when to make a trip and aquire a new hat. I intend on mentioning your name so you get the referal discount on your next pruchase. Enjoy the discount sir!

Pics rock! Great entertainment and well done pics taken in the variable lighting. Eric -

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Ed: The caps are made for Graham by a maker in France who have been in operation for over 130 years. Very fine materials and workmanship. They are not, strictly speaking however, 8-panel newsboys, deriving inspiration instead from the Basque beret. The fuller cut and shorter brim are very well suited for men with larger, broader faces, in my opinion, and I quite like them. As for the straws, they are all made on vintage blocks, predominantly from France. Graham is ever searching for these vintage blocks, sourcing them on the Continent, and it is not always easy to obtain the blocks in all sizes. I do enjoy the variety.

Well they are not for me. I will stick with my Mr. Freedom CASQUETTE which is what he is trying to copy.:)

Casquette “La Deffe”

Deffe-001.jpg

The Retro sport cap from france is another one in this style.

Retro Sport

$(KGrHqN,!ikE5esVbRFVBObzqZ5WFQ~~60_12.JPG

Did not know if you keep up with the Cap Faction thread is this style has been alot of the time there. Johnny J a forum member is starting to make this style himself.

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
Al, thanks so much for the photo essay. I've really appreciated all of your photos--St. Paul looks very inviting. I'm now wearing a pocket square solely due to your fine example.

As to Optimo, I'll be in Chicago in November and had planned on going to the Loop store. Is it possible to buy something there or is everything custom?

wine65

One of the Regulars
Al,
I've recently made a trip to Chicago and visited Optimo for the first time. Both your photos and hats are fantastic!
Steve

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
OMG, that surely looks like paradise! (drool) Too bad Chicago isn´t exactly aroaund the corner form here.... :(
Al, you look sharp in those Optimos!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Just out of curiosity, were these made with leather sweatbands?

No, and the wool is quite heavy weight. Comes in natural Linen as well. They are not an attempt at a vintage copy although similar in style to some. Toward the full, larger dimensions.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Eric, Perry, Carl, CPT/VSG, Steve(wine65), Jared, and Frank: Thank you all for your very kind comments, they are greatly appreciated!

Eric: Glad you enjoyed the pics. I know you have been contemplating a trip to OPTIMO for some time now, and I would encourage you to make the trek, especially if you are contemplating a Montecristi. They are all so unique and individual that it is best to look at the hat bodies in person.

Perry: Sounds like a trip to Chicago and OPTIMO is in order. You can always haul your hat renovation projects there in person!

Carl: Happy to have had you along, and even happier to see you back in great form!

CPT/VSG: I am flattered, but you are far too kind! The OPTIMO shop in the Moadnock Building Downtown has an excellent selection of felts and straws available to try on and for purchase, but if you are considering a fine Montecristi you definitely need to also visit the Southside shop to take a look at a greater range of styles and weave. It would also be a good idea to contact Graham prior to your visit if you have specific ideas in mind for a custom hat.

Steve(wine65): Which location did you visit? Did you pick up a lid? :)

Jared: It is unfortunate that Chicago is so far away from San Francisco!

Frank: Be thankful OPTIMO is NOT around the corner! lol

Steve(mayserwegner): Fairly certain you are correct but cannot confirm. I will take a closer look on my next visit.

JohnnyJ: Indeed, as Robert indicated, both the linen and wool versions have fabric sweats. The wool is thick and of very fine quality, and the linen is quite soft, with an excellent hand. The undersides of the bills are leather reinforced. These caps were not intended as vintage replicas and the body and drape can be manipulated easily to differing effect.

wine65

One of the Regulars
Eric, Perry, Carl, CPT/VSG, Steve(wine65), Jared, and Frank: Thank you all for your very kind comments, they are greatly appreciated!

Eric: Glad you enjoyed the pics. I know you have been contemplating a trip to OPTIMO for some time now, and I would encourage you to make the trek, especially if you are contemplating a Montecristi. They are all so unique and individual that it is best to look at the hat bodies in person.

Perry: Sounds like a trip to Chicago and OPTIMO is in order. You can always haul your hat renovation projects there in person!

Carl: Happy to have had you along, and even happier to see you back in great form!

CPT/VSG: I am flattered, but you are far too kind! The OPTIMO shop in the Moadnock Building Downtown has an excellent selection of felts and straws available to try on and for purchase, but if you are considering a fine Montecristi you definitely need to also visit the Southside shop to take a look at a greater range of styles and weave. It would also be a good idea to contact Graham prior to your visit if you have specific ideas in mind for a custom hat.

Steve(wine65): Which location did you visit? Did you pick up a lid? :)

Jared: It is unfortunate that Chicago is so far away from San Francisco!

Frank: Be thankful OPTIMO is NOT around the corner! lol

Steve(mayserwegner): Fairly certain you are correct but cannot confirm. I will take a closer look on my next visit.

JohnnyJ: Indeed, as Robert indicated, both the linen and wool versions have fabric sweats. The wool is thick and of very fine quality, and the linen is quite soft, with an excellent hand. The undersides of the bills are leather reinforced. These caps were not intended as vintage replicas and the body and drape can be manipulated easily to differing effect.

Al,
Went to the Monadock - downtown location did not have time to get to Beverly. Picked out my first Montecristi - teardrop fedora version, it just arrived! Once I can figure how to get photos up I'll post them. Although not as high a grade as your hat, I'm very pleased with both their help and craftmanship. Almost left with a milan but will get one next time. I have a feeling this is going to be habit forming. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails