Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OPTIMO FINE HATS: A Photographic Excursion

delectans

Call Me a Cab
I would be most interested to learn about the particular artisan that laboriously created one of these hats. In the unlikely event that I could ever afford to purchase one, I would find that to be a fascinating added dimension to the experience.

In your visits to Optimo, Al, have you found any information regarding the weavers, their villages, their lives? I've heard that it takes a certain number of months to make a hat body of this caliber, but that's pretty much it.

I have an amazing rug that I purchased directly from the weaver in Oaxaca, and my appreciation of his craft greatly enhances my enjoyment of the rug. So it would be for one of these fine panamas.

Part of me hates to ask, as it would not surprise me to find out that the weavers live at a subsistence level of poverty, being exploited one hat at a time until they are too broken down to continue. Another more optimistic part of me wants to be wrong.

The tale of the 'Sombrero de paja toquilla' is a complicated and enigmatic one, Randall, particularly with the Montecristis. The weavers, most of whom are from the tiny hamlets of Pile and Las Pampas, are but one part of the creative process, which involves additional artisans such as the rematadora, azocadora, cortadora, and apaleadora, who finish the hats. The hats also pass through the hands of the commisionistas before ever getting to the master hatters who fashion them into the masterpieces of textile art that they are.

It is this lack of singular authorship which differentiates the Montecristi finos from other forms of textile, fine, and folk arts, I believe, and with a few notable exceptions, denies the weavers the recognition they deserve. From what I have been able to gather from primary and secondary sources, the weavers are compensated fairly for their work and live a simple life...not in abject poverty as they may have been portrayed.

Most of the finer Montecristis that I have examined have multiple pencil and ink markings on their interiors which I believe indicate(in code) the particular commission, grade, and perhaps the family of weavers responsible for the hat, as well as other logistical information. Some very fine hats bear the initials or signatures of the individual weavers, so it is possible to ascribe authorship, but this is an inconsistent practice. In many instances weaving is a family affair and there is collaboration between several different family members.

As with many other things in life, and particularly when it comes to luxury goods, there is an exponential increase in cost for diminishing, tangible qualitative gain, and this is certainly the case with Montecristis. The time involved in weaving the fino Montecristis increases exponentially based not just upon the weave count, but also the evenness of the weave, and what many do not realize, the size of the hat body and brim width.

Until I have had the privilege to walk the Panama Hat Trail myself, I remain open-minded about the current and future state of this art that I adore, and will leave you with the observation that exploitation does not engender refinement in any artistic endeavor, nor longevity in any business enterprise.

What a great report!:eusa_clap

Thank you! :yo:

Sharp hat bro. Love that jacket - what material?

You are too kind, thanks! The jacket is 51% wool/49% linen.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
How do you get your pictures to be so clear? Who's taking them?

Nikon glass and a whole lot of trial and error. My wife Lydia and son Ryan are behind the lens for the photographs of me, and I take all of the other ones.

Exceptionally cool photos, Al.

I'm already looking forward to seeing how you get that new Montecristi finished off.

Belated thanks, David. Pictures coming soon.

GamaH

A-List Customer
How many trips did you make? In any case, isn't Minnesota to Chicago quite a distance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner