Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

deenis

Familiar Face
Hi BobC, yes this is my first Optimo. I have been doing a lot of reading about them here on this discussion forum. The pictures you and others have graciously shared with the rest of us are most welcomed. There is nothing like actually seeing the hat on a real person -in action.

I have a Brown Beaver Borsalino which I love. It kind of reminds me of my hat when I was a drill sergeant. I also have a couple of Akubra's, but I think I will get the most use out of my new Optimo because of the versatility of the color.

Congratulations on the Slate Grey and happy birthday! What a GREAT present. I like the Slate Grey very much, but I think the build of the hat is what strikes me best. The brim is just right for you and the crown is not too high. Fits you well in my opinion.

Do you think you could get a picture or two of it in the direct sunlight? I would like to see how different the sheen is in outdoor lighting.

I noticed from the color swatches that Tiffany sent me that the Neptune Blue looks darker (almost black) in the direct sunlight. Hard to tell from a little swatch. In fact the swatch of the Neptune Blue almost persuaded me not to buy that color. It looks so much darker than the picture on the internet. I really really liked the color I was seeing on their website. I lost a little sleep thinking about if it was the right color for me because of the confusion I had with the difference in the swatch and the website. Tiffany insisted that the color on their website is what the end result will be so I put my faith in her and ordered the color. She says the pictures are not touched up in any way. I ordered the No-bow variety of ribbon. I will post a picture or two once it arrives. Projected delivery is April 10 but she says they are not very busy so I should receive it sooner.

Looking forward to seeing the 2011 colors that come out in September!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
StylinLA said:
Nice hat Bob. I have a similar one in Thunder Gray. It's a bit more of a pure gray which doesn't lean brown or blue. Slightly lighter than Charcoal.

I would have been right in line with you for the thunder gray, but they didn't have any more thunder gray bodies. I thought the slate gray was very nearly the same color. The fact that it's a light weight pulled me over.

BobC

jimmy the lid said:
Great Optimo, Bob! And Happy Birthday! Heck, I'll even toast you (if I'm invited...:() :D

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks, Jimmy. And you're invited. I've seen some bottles out there thay say right on the labe "Sam Adams (for Jimmy the Lid only)" :eek: :D

BobC

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. To be clear my birthday was last month, but I didn't think about asking for a hat until it was too late to get it ordered in time to be here in time. Imagine that?!

Jeff, I asked Optimo to crease this one with their C crown. Truthfully, it's just ok, but I love the hat anyway. I have a friend who is the master of the teardrop and who could easily do a nicer teardrop freehand. You know who you are. ;)

Deenis, Congrats on your first Optimo, and I do mean first. I think I'll go out on a limb here and say you're going to love it. I'll take some pics in the sunlight and a better pic of the crease tomorrow. It definitely is hard to imagine a full hat from the swatches they send, then add to that the swatches are unsanded. You just have to plan on the finished hat being ligther than the swatch. The very best way to pick a hat is to go there and hold some in your hand and try some on, but I understand that it becomes much more difficult to do that when you live in Vermont. Fortunately, I'm only a few hours away.

I don't think Tiffani would lead you astray. It's generally the case that felt lightens as its sanded, and I'm sure your hat will be just as you expect. I'll be looking forward to your pics when your hat arrives.

Jeff, I believe they do still have the slate gray, and you are correct...it is not on their website. I don't know if its a new color for 2010 or if its an older color that they had some bodies left over. I originally talked to Tiffani about the thunder gray, but they didn't have any of that color left. She suggested the slate gray as an alternative. She sent me five samples: canyon gray classic weight, mink gray classic weight, thunder gray classic weight, antrhacite gray light weight and slate gray light weight. I would have chosen the thunder gray, but it wasn't available. I didn't care much for the canyon or the mink, and I thought the anthracite was too dark and close to black.

BobC

Those pics are going to have to wait, gents. It's dark and raining here today, but I'll get them for you.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Jeff, I'd call the bash teardrop.

804534933_hFEfV-L.jpg

BobC

Jeff M said:
Bob and/or Lexy ...does your hat have Optimo's "#1" crown size/shape?
Anybody refer me to some pictures of a hat that does?

Jeff, my oxblood is their #1 crown. The newest one, the slate gray, is their #5 crown. I was specific with Tiffani that I wanted a 1940's Whippet clone with a nice straight, high crown. Their #1 crown is lower and more tapered. The #1 crown gives the hat a more modern look IMO.

Here's my oxblood.

IMG_0075.jpg

I'll get those sunlight pics up as soon as I can. There hasn't been much sun here the last couple of days.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Jeff M said:
Bob and/or Lexy ...does your hat have Optimo's "#1" crown size/shape?
Anybody refer me to some pictures of a hat that does?

Jeff, I've got the #5 crown. I specifically requested a more straight up and down crown for my hat, since I prefer that more vintage look.

Lexybeast said:
Jeff, I've got the #5 crown. I specifically requested a more straight up and down crown for my hat, since I prefer that more vintage look.

I was just going to ask you that.
The crown looks taller than Bob's. Is that just the bash..or did they add some more height to it??
Same question to you too...would you do anything different with the order if you could?

BobC

Jeff M said:
Thanks Bob. Exactly what I was wondering looking at the photos of your two hats.
If you could, you have done anything different with your slate gray "Whippet Clone"?

Only one thing. I might have had them send it open crown. I'm not that crazy about the C crown, but that's not hard to fix at all.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Jeff M said:
I was just going to ask you that.
The crown looks taller than Bob's. Is that just the bash..or did they add some more height to it??
Same question to you too...would you do anything different with the order if you could?

Here's a side view. I'm pretty darn happy with it as is, and can't think of anything I'd change on this baby.

806069853_rTFh8-L-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart