Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo's Hat Machine

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is the machine that Optimo uses to form the hat body. The hat is steamed under pressure, and the felt brim is pulled by the "fingers" of the machine. Notice the levers, and the level of steam.

This machine is used in the following way: The hat cone is placed on the appropriate block shape and size, then put upside down into the machine. Hi- pressure steam is applied, while the brim is "pulled" as needed by the operator thru the circle of fingers. This gives a crisp edge and block to the hat.

I understand this machine is vintage, and comes from Germany.

Wow, this is my 700th post! Whew!:p
f7c7b6fc.jpg

Fedora

Vendor
These machines were used by mostly the factories back at the turn of the century as they could turn out many more hats with this piece of equipment. The small custom shops could not afford these and the blocking and brim turn was done by hand. Here also is Gary White using one in the hat making process. Blocking Fedora

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You are correct Fedora

The machine used by Optimo is the same concept as used by Gary White. Both do the same. I think Optimo's is bigger.

It steams the felt on the block at the same time pulls the brim out. I am no hatter, but you can achieve the same result in minutes that otherwise take hours in the kitchen sink. I guess it's hobby vs. a business. Any equipment used to speed things up is of value. I doubt if anyone other than Art would be able to justify getting a machine like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou