Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordered aero LHB - help me choose between brown/cordovan

srivats

Familiar Face
Gents, been reading about aero jackets here and finally bought one from Aero's ebay store. It was a no brainer for me to choose the Long Half belt (with the three season tartan cotton lining) in FQHH , but I am torn choosing the color. I ike both brown and cordovan colors (infact have an alden shoe in cordovan color that I adore). I have seen pics of Aero's brown FQHH here and there seems to be quite a bit of variation in shade. I particularly like the brown jackets with a reddish tinge but mark Moye said that he cannot guarantee any particular shade, which is fair.

I have half a mind to get the jacket in cordovan color but I am apprehensive about color bleed. Is the Aero cordovan color too purple? Do you guys think I'll be better off getting brown?

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Not sure this helps any but:
This is my LHB described as brown on the delivery note and also on the sale page, but I think its cordovan?

This is Aeros Brown from their web site

And Areos cordovan from their web site

Photos are not a reliable way to tell, mine was shot daylight, Aeros indoors possibly with flash.

I think it would be wise to ask for samples to be sure it’s the colour you will be happy with.

James.

srivats

Familiar Face
Thanks for the photos ... your jacket is very beautiful. Are you sure it is cordovan? Your jacket does looks brown with some fantastic reddish tints (esp in the photos of the cuff) to me ... take a look at the pics here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25511

Cordovan usually has a eggplant-like deep purple tinge as you can see in the pics in these threads:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14790
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13550

As I mentioned in my first post, I own a pair of shoes in cordovan color and they look amazing in sunlight ... the creases have become lighter in color and the surrounding areas are a deep, dark purple that you can only see in sunlight. In regular office light it just looks a dark brown. I love it on my shoe, but I don't know if it would be a good idea for a large item like a jacket. I don't want my jacket to be this purple looking (look at post #15 by Rufus):
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28759

Ah, decisions, decisions ... anyone owning both a cordovan and brown aero please comment on this?

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Here's a couple of shots of my one year old Long Half Belt.

This is brown FQHH. It's still quite a ways off from fully broken-in, but I love it. The pictures don't do justice to the quality and look of the hides that Aero uses.

A number of people in this forum have commented on the cordovan color rubbing off, but not everybody. It looks great as well.

djslhbback.jpg

djslhbcollar.jpg

djslhbfront.jpg

djslhbsleeve.jpg

srivats

Familiar Face
DJS, what a great jacket! I just linked your old pics in my previous post and your jacket looks great after only 1 year ... thanks for posting these pics.

Brown FQHH indeed breaks in fantastically ... now I am very eager to see some pics of broken in cordovan jackets.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I posted this a few months ago in its own thread, but here it is again, brown FQHH Barnstormer, indoor with flash pic
HPIM0904.jpg

Graemsay

Practically Family
Aero's Cordovan is a dark red / burgundy / purple, depending on the light. I really like the colour.

I got a jacket earlier this year in that colour (there's a thread somewhere), and it's only just got cool enough to start wearing it. I've not experienced any colour rubbing off it, but I've only worn it four or five times.

srivats

Familiar Face
Graemsay said:
Aero's Cordovan is a dark red / burgundy / purple, depending on the light. I really like the colour.

I got a jacket earlier this year in that colour (there's a thread somewhere), and it's only just got cool enough to start wearing it. I've not experienced any colour rubbing off it, but I've only worn it four or five times.

Thanks, I saw your other thread earlier ...

I decided to go with brown ... Mark Moye convinced me on that :)

Peacoat

Bartender
My cordovan Highwayman is about 1 1/2 years old. No color bleed, but there have been some members on the forum who experienced that problem.

Mark says that the color transfer difficulties can be traced to leather treatment products being applied to the leather by the owners shortly after receiving the jackets. I have put nothing on my jacket, and don't intend to do so until it starts to get a little dry--maybe in 10 years or so. Others say that they have experienced color transfer in the cordovan jackets even though they, too, applied nothing to the jacket. I don't remember the names, but the one or two who experienced this problem are credible members of this forum, well versed in the care of leather jackets.

The color transfer seems to be limited to the cordovan jackets; I don't think I have heard mention of bleeding with the brown jackets. I don't know if the problem is with both the chrome tanned and the vegetable tanned, or if it is limited to just one of them. My jacket is chrome tanned, and I don't see any future problems with color bleed in this tough finish.

Maybe the guys who experienced the finish rubbing off will read this thread and tell you their experiences. Or you could be safe and choose the brown in a chrome tanned hide. I had a hard time choosing between brown and cordovan and almost went with the brown. If I had it to do over again, it would still be a toss up between the two colors. I like the cordovan (it's not "too purple"), but the brown is mighty nice as well. May just have to get another one in brown!

Good luck in your selection. Please let us know what you decide.

[EDIT: After posting this message I see that you followed my advice before I posted it! Good choice.]

Justdog

Practically Family
Model

jamespibworth@n said:
Not sure this helps any but:
This is my LHB described as brown on the delivery note and also on the sale page, but I think its cordovan?

This is Aeros Brown from their web site

Photos are not a reliable way to tell, mine was shot daylight, Aeros indoors possibly with flash.

I think it would be wise to ask for samples to be sure it’s the colour you will be happy with.

James.

What model is the long half belted Aero. Thanks

Peacoat

Bartender
srivats said:
Peacoat, I'd love to see some pics of that highwayman ... can you please post them?

The top picture is new, out of the box, and the second picture is about a year later, as is the third picture. This is the steerhide and not the horsehide, but as Amanda says, they are visually indistinguishable from each other. Mine is chrome tanned. I got that version so it would be water repellent while I was on the bike.

frontfloor.jpg

Highwayman002.jpg

Highwayman011.jpg

icecold

One of the Regulars
Wait, you say you already ordered it - did you not specify what leather you want when ordering it....? I ask because i will order soon, and I'd expect that they'll just do whatever I ordered. Are you saying that there is some post-order communication?

Also, more general question - how long does it take for aero to ship? My first order will be a black 30's half-belt. I'll be the baddest bitch in the southwest ;) .

srivats

Familiar Face
I live in Austin TX and I spoke to Mark Moye via email first and then "ordered" it through the ebay Aero store. It will take 6-8 weeks for you to get the jacket ... there is a bit of time to change your mind about the color/hide/fit after you buy the jacket on ebay. Aero factory is very busy usually and I don't think they start making your jacket immediately after you order ...

Mark P

Familiar Face
I've experienced colour bleed with Aero jackets in both black and brown horsehide. Not a problem, just don't sit on any pale coloured furniture or car seats.

Aero put a small label in their jackets explaining that this might happen. I'm seeing this as just a natural aspect of traditionally tanned leather.

My brown horsehide has some reddish tones to it, which you may prefer to the purple of the cordovan.

AeroBrokenIn002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart