Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
None of my business but the way I see it you all have 2 options 1.Become Amish 2.Move to Mackinac Island,just an outsiders view point.

Have you any idea how expensive real estate is on Mackinac? We're talking Hampton's prices in Michigan.

I have Amish friends who are, shall we say, bemused by my embrace of the obsolete.

You know, there are any number of towns here in southern Michigan along the Ohio border which are depopulating, even though they have good transportation and communication access, places built between the 'Sixties and 'Oughts where time stopped during the Nixon administration, and where real estate is incredibly cheap.

Just a suggestion.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Sidebar: Situations where baseball caps are allowed: 12 and under (I would stretch that to 14 or 15, but we'll sidestep that issue for the moment), actual baseball players of any age, fishermen in a rowboat, canoe or powerboat of under 10 hp, individuals piloting an aircraft (ever try to get earphones over a fedora?). Where else?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wacky sidekicks in B-picture comedies.

h_hall.jpg

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Sorry, but it had to be done..... Most people around here know that you'll eventually get hit, by me, with a fish if you deserve it. James gets hit regularly :p

Yea but I think James enjoys getting smacked once in a while,and yes I probably did deserve it.At least I was nice enough not to spew a bunch of disparaging remarks?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Our Vintage Town will have a Gas Works, located on the edge of town in a district populated by roughnecks, bullyboys, toughs, and hoods. Those who violate town discipline will be taken across the tracks and dumped out behind the Gas Works, where the Gas House Boys will show them the error of their ways.

dipton_gas_works.jpg

Also, while wrenching on cars. Fedoras are no good for that!

Sidebar: Situations where baseball caps are allowed: 12 and under (I would stretch that to 14 or 15, but we'll sidestep that issue for the moment), actual baseball players of any age, fishermen in a rowboat, canoe or powerboat of under 10 hp, individuals piloting an aircraft (ever try to get earphones over a fedora?). Where else?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Do we have a proprietor of general merchandise? Someone who can man the local general/convenience store?

He'd also run the local pool-hall and barbershop, with his friends/family, which would be located in conveniently-placed adjoining buildings. The smell of freshly-ground coffee would pervade the air, which would occasionally be punctuated by the "shunk!...shunk!...shunk!...shunk!...wrrrr...DING!" of the antique hand-cranked National cash-register ringing up a sale. And the "dink!" of someone tapping a coin on the marble counter-top to check for forgeries.

Said forgeries causing the customer to be thrown bodily from the establishment.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps Tom and I can run the junkyard. Several acres of rescued pre-Johnson Administration treasures. Most beyond restoration but all good candidates to donate parts for the repair and maintenance of their luckier contemporaries.

And I'm not thinking just cars - appliances, tools, perhaps even architectural salvage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR