Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

We can call it " Town Of Golden Era"

Guns are permitted however NO BASEBALL CAPS.

CCJ

You forgot:
no_hippies_sized.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Does our town have its own "Vintage Times" newspaper? I could be a reporter. I love writing. Perhaps the town newspaper needs a printing-press? I'm sure if we asked nicely, we could borrow John Boy Walton's "Chandler & Price" antique printing-press...

254676_Large.jpg

missjo

Practically Family
We don't need someone with deep pockets, we need lots of people with small pockets.
Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit.

We need people brave enough to sell their homes, risk their lives savings and move on out somewhere.
Buy some land, find a ghost town, start with little.

Regular not rich but modern friends of mine all bought a little house in the same French village and ended up pretty much owning the village.
There are plenty of places where few or no people live.
You just need a plan and some nerves.
Look at all the other communes out there, if they can do it, we can.
But it will not be a nice dreamy fantasy ready made 1930s village we can move in and live like they did in 1930s Hollywood.
It will involve living in old dirty houses that need a lot of work, no running water, no electricity, rolling up your sleeves to renovate or even build your own house.
But if enough people really want it and are willing to work for it, it will happen.

St. Louis

Practically Family
For those on the US side of the pond, there is actually a primitive village, constructed of original log houses and frame buildings, that is available for rent. It's located in central Illinois, about an hour south of Champaign and about 45 minutes west of the Indiana border. Some friends and I have been holding private events there two or three times a year. It's way out in the country and free of 21st century intrusions, but it would perhaps be more appropriate for a poor rural 1930s town than the sort of town folks are envisioning on this thread.

The village is privately owned by a lovely, friendly family. They charge $500 to rent the site to groups, but they're quite selective about which groups they'll rent to; they want people who will respect these fragile historic structures. We find that with 20 or 25 participants we break even at $20-$30 registration fees. The down side (if you consider this a down side) is that the buildings are totally primitive: there's no electricity and you have to fetch your water from an outdoor pump. We use chamber pots inside the buildings. There is a clean modern bathroom, but it's outside the town. We cook on indoor hearths. The furnishings are dated roughly to the 1920s.

If anyone's interested I could post more info. I'm not suggesting this as a permanent thing, but perhaps it could be a way of "practicing" town life for a few days. Our own events are generally 3-4 days long, but the family has already agreed to the idea of a longer event (a week or maybe even two!) In that case the rental might be higher b/c of insurance costs.

One thing I will definitely say: it's beyond wonderful to be completely away from all mobile phones, computers, ipods, kiindles, polyester, modern political or tech discussions. We don't allow any modern objects, clothing, or conversations. It can be a little odd to get into this at first, but after a half hour the modern age just slips away.

vintageTink

One Too Many
Pretty much the whole "tourist" thing would be necessary to make it affordable--it'd be like being a permanent resident at Disneyland, though.
]

I'm good with that. I love Disney.

Has anyone mentioned a funeral home? Friend and I will cover that. I know nobody wants to discuss it but...
We can have a nice establishment that can be used for potluck and get-together a when it's not in use for the once-a-decade need.
Or a tourist that gets too nasty with the locals. :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Nov. 22, 1963, that is the first clear memory from my early childhood that I can pin down to a date. You're absolutely right about that being the end of the golden era. Even though I was only 5, I knew the world had drastically changed that day.

I am just a bit younger than you, having been born in November of 1961. My earliest memory is of sitting in my play-pen in the living room of our house. my baby brother was in his high-chair, and my mother was sitting in a yellow chair in from of the television, weeping. This was memorable, for Mom never cried, at least not in front of us. I remember that Mom had been watching her soap opera, "As the World Turns" . It was only a few years ago when I watched this:[video=youtube_share;qtXfZs0-Bn0]http://youtu.be/qtXfZs0-Bn0[/video] that I realised just what my earliest mem'ry was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR