Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Ale did the nice zipper hat box come with the hat too?
IMG_3407.jpg

Otateral

Familiar Face
Just put in an order with Panama Bob based on the strong reviews here. My budget couldn't afford anything special quite yet, but since this will be my first straw hat (unless you count those paper ones from burlington coat factory) I at least wanted to make sure I went with a reputable seller.

Moondancer

New in Town
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Panama Bob hat. I'm pretty much a noob to both Panamas and "hats" in general as my only real hat is a Tilley Classic.
My question for you more experienced gentlemen is simple: for my first Panama would you recommend a White or a Natural colored hat?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Brim edge finished to perfection, round and symmetrical, as they can certainly be made/commissioned and/or picked by careful hatters.

I might be crazy, but I'm sure this was aimed at me. I sent the quote down to Montecristi to the hat finishers and told him it came from Palacios' customer. This man sells hats to Palacios. His quote back was : "Usted sabe que los sombreros son hechos de manos y las calidades son originales..." You know that the hats are hand made and that they are of original quality.

I asked him to take more care and to find another backweaver for the hats I buy, clearly offending him. "...pero vamos a tomar muy en cuenta su referencia." But we'll take account of what you've stated.

I'm certainly not a Spanish major, so feel free to interpret his words as you see fit.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll second that Natural recommendation without hesitation. Gonna join us in Covington this time, Mr. Blaine?

I do so wish I would be, Mr. Barrow, but ongoing familial obligations & the large chunk of our posterior the IRS took, I am afraid all travel is on hold.

I will be there in spirit- next year mayhaps even in person- just don't ask me to be in my right mind! :p

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I might be crazy, but I'm sure this was aimed at me. I sent the quote down to Montecristi to the hat finishers and told him it came from Palacios' customer. This man sells hats to Palacios. His quote back was : "Usted sabe que los sombreros son hechos de manos y las calidades son originales..." You know that the hats are hand made and that they are of original quality.

I asked him to take more care and to find another backweaver for the hats I buy, clearly offending him. "...pero vamos a tomar muy en cuenta su referencia." But we'll take account of what you've stated.

I'm certainly not a Spanish major, so feel free to interpret his words as you see fit.

As it seems customary, Mr Weber. You found an attack to your persona where there wasn't one. I am, as most of us here in this forum and thread, aware that these hats are hand made; an artisan product, and as such will never be perfect. Montecristis are beautiful with their subtle imperfections. You contacting people in Ecuador to validate this, seems a bit unnecessary and has offended an artisan as you state. My comment was about my particular hat and Mr Palacios' ability to select well finished hats. The fact that you took that as an attack on your persona says more about you, I think, than what it says about Palacios and hat finishing in general. For the record, you too, I wholeheartedly believe, are capable of picking beautifully finished hats. You are a man with a lot of experience and your words and knowledge are highly regarded by folks who come to this thread. I want to ask you, publicly, to please stop feeling attacked by me. I have nothing against you. I only wish you well. I wish you success and prosperity. We have had discrepancies and disagreements, sure, but that's all and it is valid. Nothing else. Nothing beyond. Nothing in between. Believe me, If I have something to tell you or if I ever wanted to "attack" you, I will do it directly and not camouflaging words.

That being said, I also have to add that posting in this thread, because of this type of paranoia, is becoming increasingly unpleasant. I love this joint but I'm seriously considering stepping out for good. All this distasteful stuff is just disappointing. Bartenders, if I may beg you, please leave this statement here for all to read as I want folks to know my standing in regard to Mr. Weber. Thank you.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
X-post...

Anyone else see this?
vintageChristysPanamaoptimo.jpg

...looks sweet but a plastic sweat?...I dunno. [huh] I do like the bound brim, you don't see that much, eh?
Any guess regarding its' vintage? Christys' offers nothing like it now. But A. Baker & Sons, Nassau, The Bahamas still is still a going concern.
And a plastic sweatband (?without elastic?) would not argue a great age, but the patina looks genuine, as though it has some real years on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo