Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hats direct?

pplepic

Familiar Face
Neil said:
Anyone have any thoughts on these guys? The prices look good . . .about $300 for "fino fino," whatever that is, and $580 for "special reserve," which they say is like cloth. And they say the hats are from Montecristi.
Is this all for real? Anyone have any experience with them?

I went with Panama Hats Direct because (a) they have a cool website and (b) because they offer the $48 Cuenca hat. My budget at the moment doesn't permit hundreds of dollars. I've seen hats for twenty bucks at flea markets and the quality isn't that bad. Matter of finding something I like.
I ordered the Cuenca and it looked and fit just fine. No complaints, however, the customs (I imagine) took the liberty of cutting a big swatch through the middle of the bottom of the box to look inside, and in doing so, they made two cuts into the crown of the hat. It didn't look too noticible when I tried it on, but still...
William Ramirez, the manager, didn't give my any problem at all. He promised to begin making up a replacement hat and I shipped the damaged hat back. I had to pay the return shipping, but that's all. So far, Casey and William have kept in close contact about what was going on, and were also very good about my wanting to change the style in the middle of the operation, so I can't complain. I'm sure Panama Bob is fine too, but I found the site a bit confusing and not very informative. Casey has videos on how to straighten the brim, how to remove dents, etc. And also videos about Ecuador and the making of Panama Hats. If I get the next hat back the way I hope, I'll be sure to announce it here.:)

Reactions: DRB

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
As in many things on that site/with that person, the videos have been shaky at best on some of the truthfulness. The last video I saw said something about hand blocking. I guarantee you that Freddy Pachay uses machines to block his hats. He makes nice hats, too, but they aren't hand blocked.

pplepic

Familiar Face
Panama Hats Direct

Okay, here's my experience: Casey sent an e-mail offering his $48 Cuenca for $35. I "felt" it was an offer I couldn't refuse. The hat looked very nice for the price and fit well. Unfortunately customs had cut the box open and damaged the hat. The boys were very gracious and immediately offered to replace it. Can't ask for more than that.
However I had to ship the first hat back and pay for the shipment of the second hat, so that boosted my $35 hat to $75.
The second hat arrived in fine condition, and is very nice looking, but my size of 6-7/8 amazingly jumped to 7 or I think, even a little larger.
I'm not going to play with it any more. Even stuffing paper around inside the band doesn't really work. I'll just chalk it up to experience, but I won't buy from them again. Obviously their overall control is spotty. I'm just glad I didn't invest in something really expensive.:mad:

pplepic

Familiar Face
Panama Hats Direct

Okay, here's the last "straw": William answered my e-mail in which I explained that my 6-7/8 hat is a great fit on my son who wears a 7-1/2, and his reply was to try putting a little foam inside the sweatband. For less money and a lot less time I could buy a hat from the small medium large selection at Walmart and stuff it with foam (also from Walmart.)
The good news is that I was so unhappy that my wife secretly ordered a Stetson panama @ $112 including shipping from Delmonico Hats, and I think and hope it'll be a very nice hat. The hat comes from Ecuador, but is finished in the US.
:eek:

panama jack

One of the Regulars
pplepic said:
Okay, here's the last "straw": William answered my e-mail in which I explained that my 6-7/8 hat is a great fit on my son who wears a 7-1/2, and his reply was to try putting a little foam inside the sweatband. For less money and a lot less time I could buy a hat from the small medium large selection at Walmart and stuff it with foam (also from Walmart.)
The good news is that I was so unhappy that my wife secretly ordered a Stetson panama @ $112 including shipping from Delmonico Hats, and I think and hope it'll be a very nice hat. The hat comes from Ecuador, but is finished in the US.
:eek:

I live in CT and have purchased an inexpensive Stetson staw hat from Delmonicos. They are very nice people to deal with. I have dealt with a salesman named Barry and he was a great help.
I'm sure if you have any problems with your purchase they will correct it for you. They haven't been in business for over 100 years without having good customer service.

PJ

WH1

Practically Family
After my last deployment I used some of my combat pay and purchased their most expensive model. I love the hat but like IndyCop it is too small. when I contacted them they ignored my messages, however I have received several requests from them for recommendations and additional purchases. Fat Chance that will ever happen. I wouldn't go anywhere near Panama Hats Direct ever again, they have the worst customer service I have received in a very long time.

pplepic

Familiar Face
Panama Hats Direct

As it's easy to see, I've already done my griping about Panama Hats Direct.
I can't fault them for the first hat. The damage was clearly done by someone cutting right through the bottom of the box (customs I'm sure). It looked nice and fit well. I paid another $20 roundtrip to return it and the next one was not their Fedora #2 that I requested, and it was not in a 6-7/8 (55). It was their Havana model in what turned out to be a 7-1/2. On me it looked way too large and wide. Luckily I have big ears so I could still see.
And they asked for a testimonial too.
I feel they're nice people who try to deal honestly with customers, but I also feel strongly that they're simply not organized, and are generally unprofessional. The website fooled me. The last encouraging word again was that if I returned the hat, they'd send me another, but suggested that with time mine would shrink a little (!)
Feeling sorry for me, my lovely wife ordered a $112.50 Stetson Panama from Delmonico last Friday with free shipping. Today is Wednesday and the hat arrived already (Well over two months fooling around with the first vendor).
Looks and fits great in a nice carrying box. The color is not so bleached white and looks more natural, and it came with a nice black silk band.
AND, now that I've got her interested, she put my email on Delmonico's mailing list...:D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Way to go, Wifey! Glad it had a happy ending, pplepic.

The Fedora Lounge is really a great place. I sometimes take that for granted and then I read through a thread like this. Thoughtful, honest reviews and anecdotes which serve to inform others, saving them time, money and heartache.

If a hat seller can not get a size right, they are useless in my book.

Some money saved just costs too much, y'know?

PHD may be the best thing to happen for PanamaBob in a long time. :D

Thanks, TFL members!!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Panama Hat Store: You can see right away that they are lying about their hats. Montecristi hats are not Cuenca hats.

PanamaBob: Almost back on track after a series of blindsides in Ecuador. Safe and sound in USA and getting back on track. I'm getting hit on all sides for being slow, but I guarantee the hats are what we say they are in size and in quality.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have had great success with ordering hats from PanamaBob. I've gotten hats blocked in Ecuador, and hat bodies that I've had blocked up here in the US, and the experience was always good. Sometimes, it takes a while to get the hat bodies from down in Ecuador, but I have ALWAYS received exactly what I ordered, both in size and quality. You won't find a better, true Montecristi at a better price anywhere else.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
Ordinary Guy said:
:eek: AHHHH no not that one..... I can't believe the price or what you would wind up getting from there...

My neighbor showed this to me. Since I am new and still learning, I thought I would ask here.... This is the link he gave me...

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Panama-Hat-Store

I haven't seen this one before. I will be interested to find out if anyone's delt with them also. They have some pretty good prices, and the site's pretty straight forward.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zohar said:
I have had great success with ordering hats from PanamaBob. I've gotten hats blocked in Ecuador, and hat bodies that I've had blocked up here in the US, and the experience was always good. Sometimes, it takes a while to get the hat bodies from down in Ecuador, but I have ALWAYS received exactly what I ordered, both in size and quality. You won't find a better, true Montecristi at a better price anywhere else.

I second that.

pplepic

Familiar Face
I'm loving my Stetson Panama Centerdent from Delmonico Hatters. According to my feeble eye, I have to say that the difference in quality between the $112.50 Stetson and the $48 Cuenca from Panama Hats Direct, is negligible. But in terms of consistancy, ease of purchase, there's no contest. But remember that I had to spend $75 instead to end up with a hat that doesn't at all fit, while for $112.50 postage free I got a nice comfortable hat and my wife ordered it last Saturday morning and even though we had to go through Sunday and no mail Tuesday, it arrived on Wednesday.
Two other thoughts: I'm sure that if I could go to Ecuador, I'd find something really nice and at a good price, and the other thought is that, while I pine for those museum quality hats, and appreciate what goes into them, I'd be deathly afraid to wear one outside, a hat that might easily blow into the river or something.
If my Stetson should get damaged or blow away, I can live with that and get another.
But the best still is that lucky vintage hat lurking in some little antique store. I'm always looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR