Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paratrooper Boots

Thornhill

New in Town
I need some info on Paratrooper boots. Who makes the best repro? My choices seem to be the following. Corcoran/Cove, which I am wearing right now, (more on that in a minute)...

1510.jpg

At The Front...

us_boot_jump_main.jpg

WPG...

JumpBoot2.jpg

And WWII Impressions, not really in the running as they are made by Cove I believe?

20073profile.jpg

I already own a pair of Corcorans, and I am less than impressed with the quality. They appear as if they were spray painted glossy brown rather than being constructed of deep brown leather. I have tried darkening them with Peckards leather gel, but it didn't take. I even let it soak for about 30 hours and it did absolutely nothing. The outer surface of the leather appear to be impenetrable. I was also expecting the leather to be quite thick and stiff when they arrived, but these boots broke-in in about a day and a half. (No need to soak them in the tub as per Band of Brothers) The shortest break-in period I have ever experienced. Overall, the leather appears to be on the thin side, which could either be a negative or a positive depending on how you look at it. They are light compared to some of my other boots, (My Wesco Jobmasters are like having two anvils strapped to your feet), but they also just feel, I dont want to say cheap, but that is the only word that springs to mind. The other day, I scratched the top toe of the right boot and it left this huge, ugly cream-colored gash. It could be covered easily with brown boot polish, but come on! Is this how original Corcorans were finished? Sprayed with a light coat of dye so that every knick and scratch reveals the lighter colored leather beneath? So, anyway, all I really want to know is, do any of these other repro places make a boot even slightly better quality than a new pair of Corcorans? Quality leather and stitching are my two biggest concerns, with historic accuracy in third. Can anyone help?

P.S.

Does anyone else have one of these?

2007_0414records0043.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Somewhere in a closet I have a pair of Corcorans.
You are right, they were easy to break in (nice!)
I also remember that I gave them lots and lots of polish, leatherconditioner and polish...they were almost socked in the stuff....before I started wearing them.
I also got many scratches on the top, sides and noses...but because they were so socked in, it never realy got serious. Only gave them patina.

I do not use them a lot these days, but they have been through bush, rocks and high water in the old days. And they stood the test.

PS. Nice T. I have two.;)

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I don't knowz 'bout youz guyz, but I hated my Corcorans. I graduated from Airborne school in Summer '78, and Ranger school in Winter '81. Everyone I know preferred the field boot. The Corcorans were just used for dress. They were horrible to break in. They were easier to spit shine because of the toe, but that was about the only benefit. They look just like brown repro in the photo above, but are black.

Cheers,

M8

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I have a pair of the At The Front boots. They are pretty decent for the price, I have had no problems with them, save for the single eyelet coming off. I need to get some of that Pecards stuff you speak of to darken it up though.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
The original Corcoran Jump boots were made at teh factory in Stoughton, Mass.
Cove now owns the name & makes them in PA.
So theres probably been some streamlining of the construction.

Ive seen boots with the Mass label have gone up in price on ebay.

You might wanna try some acetone to strip the leather & open up the color to some darkening.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I thought the ATF boots looked really plasticky in person. But they might be salvageable.
I'm told that the WPG jump boots didnt have very good arch support. Its nic ethat they arent Corcoran clones, but a copy of another vintage manufacturer.
My corcorans were from several years ago & I never had any trouble with them. They are substantial.
I have had two older black pairs & they are fabulous.
A newer black pair by H&H, are decidedly less fabulous.

tell u the truth, I wish they made them post-war style. Brown leather w/ a zip up the side.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Found my 4 year old Corcorans the other day.
Here they are:

I think they look nice. And they are great for walking, hikig etc. Really comfortable.

I have a pair of original boots and yours look very close to them. I have a pair of the reproduction corcoran early war service shoes and hope to get them a good "worn in" look as well too.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
I have a pair of original boots and yours look very close to them. I have a pair of the reproduction corcoran early war service shoes and hope to get them a good "worn in" look as well too.

Well the best way is just to wear them. Use them. Every day.

I think I walked around in my Corcorans almost every day for a year.
Never did any of that soaking and sleeping nonsens either.
See what happened:)

Right now I am trying hard to get my RAF 1936 Pattern Flying boots in the same shape. Should have chosen another time of year though...:)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I have been wearing them on my nightly walks for a while. It is surprising how quickly you get used to wearing them, they are surprisingly comfortable to walk in.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
edges of soles

Spitfire said:
Found my 4 year old Corcorans the other day.
Here they are:

L1010115.jpg

L1010117.jpg

theres one detail that really pulls them out of the period look. The two tone look of the soles after a bit of breaking in.The dressing fades & you see the lighter colored leather against the black rubber tap. You dont see vintage boots like that.
Kiwi makes a product for that
KIWI Heel & Sole Edge Color Renew

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
theres one detail that really pulls them out of the period look. The two tone look of the soles after a bit of breaking in.The dressing fades & you see the lighter colored leather against the black rubber tap. You dont see vintage boots like that.
Kiwi makes a product for that
KIWI Heel & Sole Edge Color Renew

Thanks MrBern - I kind of liked the little detail though. But I will see to it right on;)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Thanks MrBern - I kind of liked the little detail though. But I will see to it right on;)

My pair of original boots have the exact same detail, actually. The edge dressing has worn off the leather part of the sole giving that same contrast with the rubber part. That is one of the things that I thought made your boots look authentic. Judging from where I found them, I doubt my boots were worn much if at all after the war, so I can only assume they had that "two tone" look during the war itself.

Doug C

Practically Family
I don't know if that layering detail of the sole was ever seen on the originals but it's one of the things that I really like about the boot pictured, I wouldn't add any edge dressing if it were me.

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou