Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pattern swap starts here!!

G

GoldLeaf

Katydid: Wow! What great patterns!

I have a suggestion for ladies that don't want to mail their patterns. It would save you a bit of time if you made a copy and then mailed the copy for us to copy :)

Also, I know our local Kinkos (a large copy center if you don't have one near you) has a GIANT copier. Alot of the surveyors use it to print out maps and plans that are usually a pretty good size. You could make a copy on regular, sturdy paper and mail that out. I think our admin assistant said it cost her 3 dollars recently to copy a 2'x3' map.

I know thats a bit of an expense, so I would be willing to send the money to make the copies for patterns I am interested in if you have a center that could do it near by.

Just a suggestion, I don't know if that ends up being more or less work. Personally, I wouldn't have the patience to make a bunch of copies for people. And I would be afraid I would miss an important notch :D

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Good idea!

Gold Leaf, good idea on Kinkos. I had the same thought a while ago but didn't think to check out Kinkos. I'm all about ease so I'd definitely go to Kinkos if ladies sent me money for it. I usually copy my patterns onto fabric because I half ripped a chunk out of one of my pattern pieces and almost cried.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Ladies, be careful that you're not trying to copy patterns that are copyrighted. The employees at FedEx Kinko's have a strict copyright policy they have to adhere to (corporate policy following the law), so you might not be able to copy them there if it is copyrighted by the manufacturer.

(Yeah, I know what I'm talking about.... I'm the one that teaches the policy there. :D )

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:
Ladies, be careful that you're not trying to copy patterns that are copyrighted. The employees at FedEx Kinko's have a strict copyright policy they have to adhere to (corporate policy following the law), so you might not be able to copy them there if it is copyrighted by the manufacturer.

(Yeah, I know what I'm talking about.... I'm the one that teaches the policy there. :D )

A very good point.

Since you know about this stuff you are the perfect person to ask

What is the copyright stuff like on vintage patterns, since thats mostly what people are talking about here?

1920-1950's patterns...are they still under active copyright?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
There are several different times set for copyright, ranging from 25 years to 100 years. I think the one that applies to this is 76 years after the death of the copyright holder. (Strange number of years, isn't it?)

That's not to say that another copy shop wouldn't do it for you..... but at FXK, we're really held accountable to that policy. (Just got a memo reminding me about it last week....)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:
There are several different times set for copyright, ranging from 25 years to 100 years. I think the one that applies to this is 76 years after the death of the copyright holder. (Strange number of years, isn't it?)

That's not to say that another copy shop wouldn't do it for you..... but at FXK, we're really held accountable to that policy. (Just got a memo reminding me about it last week....)

ooh...good to know..I would have in my brain thought them not relevant to copyright stuff still.

Denise...learning something new every day

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: There are certain "protected" items that I would never have imagined being an issue.... such as choreography! There are also certain things that have passed over into public domain (of which I believe The Bible is one), and others (such as Happy Birthday) that are still questionable.

(Ever wonder why Red Robin and other restaurants don't actually sing "Happy Birthday"? Copyright.)

Interesting stuff.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Oh! And I forgot to add.... once the copyright ends, it can be renewed. Look in any old book, and you might have several copyright renewal dates in it. Just because the original has ended doesn't mean it's immediately public domain.

G

GoldLeaf

Ah! Sorry for the bad advice!

So, is it legal for us to make copies, then? The ones that we do by hand? By sending around patterns, are we infringing on the copyright laws?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Well, that depends on how you refer to them. I suppose if you considered them your "off site storage", you're allowed to make one copy. (That would be just in case something would happen to the original, you'd have the other to replace it.) But remember that the copyright holder makes a living off of people paying for the use of the pattern. There are copyright laws that protect the copyright holder from those that infringe on that by not paying them for the permission to make the copies. It's a sticky situation to be in when the patterns are so old, and not easily obtainable.

(It's additionally hard at work because we make a profit off of people using our machines.... so not only are we helping someone break the law, we're making a profit from it. That's a major no-no. A lot of customers don't understand why they can't make the copies. What part of "it's illegal" doesn't make sense? ;))

G

GoldLeaf

Yikes! So we might be breaking the law by letting multiple copies be made of these patterns? That's sad. Now I don't know if I should ask for some! :(

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Not to be flippant or encourage breaking the law but I never had too much of a problem with things like this....personally I mean. I'm not making copies to sell and make profit, I'm copying to share and spread the vintage pattern love and goodness. Unless it's a reproduction vintage pattern like the Vintage Vogue line, the pattern company didn't make money off the pattern either -- some independent vendor did (lots of it by my calculations of my collection alone....oh God I don't want to think about how much money I've spent :rolleyes: ). Anyway, I don't mean to say that just because other people do it that makes it ok...just expressing my opinion. I suppose it will just be a personal choice whether or not to copy or ask for copies of patterns?[huh]

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Katydid said:
:eek:fftopic: Oh and Babydoll....I love the flower in your hair!!

:eek:fftopic: Thanks. It was from a centerpiece at a friend's wedding last summer. Each person at the table had their photo taken with the flower. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Babydoll said:
Oh! And I forgot to add.... once the copyright ends, it can be renewed. Look in any old book, and you might have several copyright renewal dates in it. Just because the original has ended doesn't mean it's immediately public domain.

:eek:fftopic:
Yeah, I read about the copyright extension law that covered Steamboat Willie (and some other media) for another 20 yrs. It prevented it from going into public domain. Thats the one everyone is waiting for....

Um so no, lets not copy the patterns via a copy shop ladies :eek: I dont think my karma could take it.

LD

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Elaina- I'm having that same problem.

Elaina said:
I've got to get your patterns back to you LD, with mine you wanted. I'm running behind, and a revamp/overhaul of my entire sewing stuff, so they're out, they're in envelopes, but I've had so much trouble with my mail carrier, I need to get to the post office to send them. I should go do that tomorrow since my son's school is about 5 miles from a totally different city's office.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Katydid said:
I'm leery about mailing my patterns out all over the place but I'd be more than happy to copy patterns for people. Here's some of mine and when I stop being lazy, I'll buy batteries for my camera and take pictures of more.
pleateddress.jpg

[

OH MY GOSH. I would LOVE a copy of this one... ?!
i am new in these parts should i PM you for more info?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy