Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfectly shaped fedoras

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, thought thread-killing was my job!

Well, JML, I recently noticed that in a lot of old movies (especially gangster/mystery/noir) a diamond-shaped bash that is far from perfect is very common. The ones I refer to look like a center dent that got squished or hand re-shaped rather than a modified "C"...It's what mine end up like when the "perfect" center dent goes awry..in fact, looks just like that Bogie shot...

BTW, I prefer the "less-than-perfect" look myself (see avatar) - no pretty-boy here.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I own the Road to Perdition DVD, and there's an entire section on the wardrobe. The entire wardrobe was made new, working from vintage examples, and the fabrics were from a woolen mill back east whose name escapes me. They went through considerable effort to get it right, and talk at length about the drape and appearance of the fabrics. Really interesting stuff.

I've noticed that most hats in peroid movies seem somewhat well worn or at least hand bashed. Few have form-blocked crowns. Most have a tight pinch, probably from being handled at that point often. We're probably right on with the theory that hats were handled with far less care than most of us would use.

Matt, you've got it right on the Indy thing...it's a great series, the wardrobe was done well in all of them, but when it all boils down, it's someone else's idea of what the era was like, and a 'popcorn adventure' translation at that. Fussing over dimensional brim cuts, the perfect block / pinch and such is kind of silly. I love the Indy series, but at the same time, I want my own style and don't want to look like every other Indy fan out there.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just received my Stetson Playboy, and now I understand. It's soft, light, pliable, and ideally suited to that Golden Era hand-bash. The color is more accurate on the picture of me wearing it, kind of a grey/green.

matei

One Too Many
Interesting thread - I'll have to check out the "Road to Perdition" DVD to see that section on the wardrobe.

I recently received a hat back from Art (who did a superb job at restoring it), a vintage Borsalino. The felt is so thin, soft and fine that it is constantly changing shape. Once can quite easily pass for a Film Noir extra by wearing this hat.

I actually like the fact that it doesn't look like a stiff block that you'd find on a Mr. Happy Shopper wool fedora. It looks real, lived in - not phony.

You can see hats in these films that have off-centre creases, wavy brims etc. If there were many hats as thin as my Borsalino, that doesn't surprise me.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You're so right

Tony in Tarzana said:
Just received my Stetson Playboy, and now I understand. It's soft, light, pliable, and ideally suited to that Golden Era hand-bash.

Until you get your hands on that super soft old felt, there's no expressing it.

You are one of those lucky chaps who is made to wear hats! Great score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic