Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Petticoats and Crinolines.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I didn't realize they came in different pouffinesses (is that a word?). Where can I find a chiffon one?

Josephine

One Too Many
I have two square dancing crinolines I got from Freecycle, one very poofy and one semi poofy. Since they are for square dancing, all the poofyness is at one level, I need to lower two of the layers (there are three) so they look better.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I wear a crinoline under a number of my favorite full-skirted dresses to church. I don't find it costumey at all, and it tends to bring in rave reviews from all the older ladies. I love the swishy nature crinolines. :D

I got mine from Secrets in Lace. It is tulle, but it has two layers, and the under layer is a much finer tulle, and not really scratchy.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
~*Red*~ said:
Goldwyn Girl, that blue crinoline is divine!!

Ooo, I agree! And I can see the pretty pink piping running thru the blue/grey one.
I want more, but they do seem to go high on the bay. I have a vintage one, not too poufy, part chiffon with one layer of tulle inside.
I wore it under my Dorothy dress,
Hmmm... can't really tell I have it on, sorry... best pic I have. But the skirt would've been totally limp without it.
620844347_a689bca6da.jpg

And I have a newer pink one, (from the bay), that is pretty full. These pics were taken about 70 pounds ago, so it wasn't the crinny that made me look fat! :p I have a pretty day dress that I have been wanting to try it under, I'll letcha know!
Nikki
620846199_9176dd3384.jpg

620846319_4f66365ccb.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've been searching for pettis again. How long should the petti be? So many of them on eBay sound so short after measuring the length of most of my dresses.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
I've been searching for pettis again. How long should the petti be? So many of them on eBay sound so short after measuring the length of most of my dresses.

Most of the ones you see on Ebay are probably square dancing pettis, which are much, much shorter than you need. Your petti should be just a bit shorter than your skirt. You may have to look for awhile to find one that's the right length.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Most of the ones you see on Ebay are probably square dancing pettis, which are much, much shorter than you need. Your petti should be just a bit shorter than your skirt. You may have to look for awhile to find one that's the right length.

I agree. I make all of the skirts I wear out dancing, and they're just slightly longer than my petticoat. The petticoat comes a few inches past my knees (granted I'm 5'1"). Longer is better in this instance. But not so long that it shows below the hem of your skirt. I personally think that looks a bit tacky.

This is the petticoat I have:

http://www.petticoatjct.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PJ&Product_Code=MM-580

I've had it for several years, and it's still perfect.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Babydoll said:
I agree. I make all of the skirts I wear out dancing, and they're just slightly longer than my petticoat. The petticoat comes a few inches past my knees (granted I'm 5'1"). Longer is better in this instance. But not so long that it shows below the hem of your skirt. I personally think that looks a bit tacky.

This is the petticoat I have:

http://www.petticoatjct.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PJ&Product_Code=MM-580

I've had it for several years, and it's still perfect.

hmmm, maybe my dresses are too long. In order to get one that is 2 in shorter than my skirt, I need a 27-28in petti and I'm the same height as you.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
hidden hems

Babydoll said:
What an interesting thread! Contrary to the opinion many have that petticoat hems should be hidden, my mother, who was a teen in the 50's, said one always let them show a bit below your skirt. The hems often had nice lace trimming, and you wanted to show it off! I can see her point when I see petticoats like goldwyn girl's...

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
That's interesting. My mom was a teen in the 50s as well, and said that none of the "good girls" would let their petticoats be seen below the hem of their skirt. [huh]

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Maybe the petticoat code was different in the U.S. compared to Sweden/ Europe? Ladies, what do your mothers say?
Babydoll said:
That's interesting. My mom was a teen in the 50s as well, and said that none of the "good girls" would let their petticoats be seen below the hem of their skirt. [huh]

Sunny

One Too Many
kamikat said:
hmmm, maybe my dresses are too long. In order to get one that is 2 in shorter than my skirt, I need a 27-28in petti and I'm the same height as you.
I've had some funky things happen when I wear a dress with a petticoat, because a lot of time the looser waistband on my petti slides down lower than the waist of my dress. If there are only a couple inches between them to start with, I can end up with my petti accidentally showing.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I love those crinolines at petticoat junction. And I love the idea of the softer crinoline.

I just bought a very basic crinoline at http://www.heyviv.com which I was thinking of adding some black lace trim to the bottom.

But boy Goldwyn Girl, your petticoats are gorgeous!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Babydoll said:
I got mine at a local store, Petticoat Junction. It is this one in black:

http://www.petticoatjct.com/merchan..._Code=PJ&Product_Code=MM-580&Category_Code=PC

It's made out of the same fabric as an underslip. It's very soft against my legs, and twirls out beautifully under a full circle skirt.

They have a *ton* of other styles and colors. Check out their pettipants!

(They also have dance shoes.... and these are kinda cute! http://www.petticoatjct.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PJ&Product_Code=ttt-lana)

I think that is the PERFECT crinoline--not too poufy and soft. Looks very wearable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn