Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Petticoats and Crinolines.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Dottie said:
I think that is the PERFECT crinoline--not too poufy and soft. Looks very wearable.

Yes, the vintage ones, or the vintage-style ones like this, are very frothy, unlike the stiff square-dancing ones. They move and swish nicely :)

Granted, it is no way as lovely as some of the other ones on here, but I made this today. Much easier than I thought it would be for sure.

I intend to experiment with different materials & pouffiness' eventually too. How exciting :)

PICT0072.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Miss Dottie said:
I think that is the PERFECT crinoline--not too poufy and soft. Looks very wearable.

It is awesome! Not scratchy at all (no net - just chiffon and lace), good fullness, and the twirl factor rocks. Excellent investment, I think!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
dollydaydream said:
Granted, it is no way as lovely as some of the other ones on here, but I made this today. Much easier than I thought it would be for sure.

I intend to experiment with different materials & pouffiness' eventually too. How exciting :)

PICT0072.jpg

I'm interested to see how it squishes down once you have a skirt/dress over it. I know the one I made for my wedding dress was poofy like that, but when I put my dress on it flattened out a bit and just gave the skirt a nice line.

couple.jpg

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I have one but I'm careful about wearing it, I find the net can catch on my stockings :( I love the swishy feeling of them though! xx

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
miserabelle said:
I have one but I'm careful about wearing it, I find the net can catch on my stockings :( I love the swishy feeling of them though! xx

If they have net, make sure it has a layer of material underneath.

lyburnum

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
I wear a lot of full skirts and always wear a crinoline under them. Depending on where I'm going will depend on the fullness of the crinloine. I only wear my really full ones for evening. I have quite a few in several sizes. For everyday I wear these.

000_1822.jpg

I absolutely love these. Where do you find them? EBay or vintage stores or somewhere else?

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
If they have net, make sure it has a layer of material underneath.
Yeah it does but it tends to ride up. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm pretty much always carrying a canvas bag... that's probably what's causing it, maybe I'll just have to save my petticoats for less baggage-heavy days xxx

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Advice please!

KittyT said:
Your petti should be just a bit shorter than your skirt. You may have to look for awhile to find one that's the right length.
I'm really confused about petticoat length! I have one that is 26" long. It looks like this:
8928_1.JPG

Not vintage looking at all, correct me if I'm wrong. I want to have one that looks like goldwyn girls, and another like the one Dolly's made, because the one I have seems to make the skirt poof more on top than at the bottom.
26" seems like a good length for me, I'm 5'4, but I'm confused. The ones at Petticoat Junction mentioned here are only 22" (sounds short), and then there are ones on e-bay that are 28"! I'm confused. The Sears catalogue doesn't state length measurements either :mad:
KittyT and others who know these things, does the Hey Viv one have so-called swoosh?
crinoline_white_adult.jpg

I just want a petticoat that will give me the vintage profile and feel!
Edit: Excuse the outburst. I've removed the cuss word ;)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Have any of you ladies tried Vivien of Holloway's petticoats? They're 26" long, all chiffon and look very full:

17517b000ed7ad2d329761501e6429c7.jpg

If you have, or even if you haven't, let me know what you think. Here's the link:
http://www.vivienofholloway.com//index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=29&option=com
I know they're out of stock at the moment, nevertheless I'd like to hear your opinions. E-bay prices are disheartening if you look at the product your getting: waistband in need of replacement, major holes, etc

cemetarian

Vendor
What an interesting thread! Contrary to the opinion many have that petticoat hems should be hidden, my mother, who was a teen in the 50's, said one always let them show a bit below your skirt. The hems often had nice lace trimming, and you wanted to show it off! I can see her point when I see petticoats like goldwyn girl's...

That's interesting. My mom was a teen in the 50s as well, and said that none of the "good girls" would let their petticoats be seen below the hem of their skirt.

Maybe the petticoat code was different in the U.S. compared to Sweden/ Europe? Ladies, what do your mothers say?

LOL..........Very Interesting Discussion.

I was a Pre Teen in the 50's..........but I had older cousins.......and NONE of them (even the wilder ones) would let their slips show......Full or Straight.....if a girls slip was showing someone would gently remind them to pull it up by saying "It's Snowing Down South"........LOL.

Full Stiff Net petticoats were to be seen when you sat down. Because the net would pop up and form a little frame for your knees and legs that anyone looking at you head on could see.............that's why you wore multi colored petti's and lots of them.......we also wore a straight nylon slip under the petticoats to protect our legs.........especially when wearing garters and hose..........cause the netting could and would get tangled up in the garters and hose tops and run the stockings.

I've found 2 very interesting half slips that I think I just might have to keep........I don't think I can call them petticoats........but not real sure what to call them.

EC1_001.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
cherry lips said:
I'm really confused about petticoat length!

The reason for all the different lengths is because people are different heights and you can shorten the crinoline if you wish. Just cut it. There is no standard length for them, they are as long as you need them, and yes the ARE a slip, and should NOT show AT ALL beneath a skirt/dress.

LD

cemetarian

Vendor
I remembered this photo and just had to go dig it out........it was taken in 1955 and it's Me, My MOM, My Foster Sister ..... notice the difference in lengths, petticoats and shoes on the 3 different ages. I miss the time when clothing and behavior was "Age Appropriate"..LOL I was 7, my Mom was 27 (doesn't she look much Older) and the other girl is 14 (shes looks older too)........LOL.not much you can do with a 7 year old though.........BWAHAHAHA

But my main point was to show what I meant about the petticoats framing the legs..........such a pretty picture. If ya take away the hair styles.

Rita_Rea_Freda.jpg

Kishtu

Practically Family
My mum tells a story when she was going out dressed up in her crinoline back in the 50s and she had to get on a bus.
So she goes to sit down and thinks, a-ha! when I sit, the hoop is going to fly up at the front and show my petticoat - we'll have none of that. So she holds the front down, sitting there and she feels something rubbing against her back. Looks round and there's an old chap sitting in the seat behind her.
So she gives him a Hard Stare and turns back round. He carries on rubbing her back. She thinks. So now she's getting scared, so she gets up to go down stairs.

- turns out that as she's sat down holding the front of her skirt down the back of her skirt hoop has flown *up* and is what's rubbing against her shoulders.

KittyT said:
do a search through older threads - there is a pattern posted someplace about how to make one, and i believe a couple of threads on this.

i see them a LOT on ebay, but the nicer ones that aren't too full tend to go for more than i want to pay.

Again here are the instructions for making a tulle petticoat. I believe there are a few ladies who have had success making this one:

http://www.pettipond.com/lon.htm

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Kishtu said:
- turns out that as she's sat down holding the front of her skirt down the back of her skirt hoop has flown *up* and is what's rubbing against her shoulders.

She was wearing a hoop skirt in the 50s? I didn't think they did that. Anyway, I have a ton of experience wearing a hoop, and the trick is to pull the back of the top couple of hoops up so you can sit on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters