Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Petticoats and Crinolines.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hi lady's, after reading the thread about windy weather and skirts and dresses got me thinking about petticoats and crinolines. How many of you wear these clothing items and where is a good place to get affordable ones? I have a dress that I believe would look amaizing with one of these under it. So, ladys lets have a discussion on this.

Brooksie

pigeon toe

One Too Many
The petticoat I have is actually a dress-up item I used to play with when I was little. It sort of looks like this:

petticoat%20%20tiered.jpg

except it's shorter, a little less poofy, and has a slip top so it's like a dress. I wear it underneath some 50's day dresses and it looks quite cute.

I did a quick google search and found that My Baby Jo's has some petticoats for $40 underneath their Undergarments section on the website. Promenade Dance Shop has some more 50's style petticoats (same as the ones at My Baby Jo's, it seems) for about $30, as well as shorter square dance ones for more. Hope that helps!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I wear the appropriate undergarment whether it be a full skirt or a slimmer fitting one. Most of my full slips I've picked up at thrift stores, they are vintage and appear to have had little or no previous wear. The full crinolines are harder to find at thrift stores, I have only found two, so mostly I get them from ebay. On occasion one will pop up in an antique mall. You can never have to much :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wear them, or somehting like them. I got those ugly bohemian skirts (100% cotton) on clearence, cut off the stupid bells or chains or whatever they are, and had a semi poofy croline like undergarment for less than $10 each. :)

I did make a severely poofy one, as in can set your drink on almost :rolleyes: but have yet an occasion as to where to wear it.

LD

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Mine was a birthday gift. I've only worn it a couple of times, but I love it.
It's just right on the poofy scale. It stands up enough, but isn't to square dance level. lol

It came from Secrets in Lace. It's the plain white one. I think it ran about $30.

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
You can actually find fairly cheap patterns to make petticoats and crinolines.
I have seen them go for extremely cheap on ebay.
Thrift stores and vintage shops are a good place to look.
I have a white and a red that I got from either mybabyjo.com or daddyos.com

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I have 3 ones. A black one, that I actually consider rather a underskirt than a real petticoat cause it actually is just a circle-skirt made of a black seethrough fabric. Not poofy at all, but cute to spice up circle-skirts.

I bought it at a 50s tradefair. Than I have a long white non poofy petticoat that I got for 5 bucks in a Second-Handstore and a short rather poofy white one that I won in a competition.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
do a search through older threads - there is a pattern posted someplace about how to make one, and i believe a couple of threads on this.

i see them a LOT on ebay, but the nicer ones that aren't too full tend to go for more than i want to pay.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Thank you so much lady's for all of the info. I actually had a crinoline back in 2003 when I got married but I do not have the dress, crinoline or husband any longer. The crinoline I had was floor length, white and very poofy and I do not beleive that I would ever wear it again any ways.

Brooksie

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have picked up mine quite cheaply at vintage stores (and do have a couple of 1950s dresses with self-crinolines.) I don't wear them very much, but they are fun under a circle skirt when dancing, as they really make your skirt flky out and can add a color contrast. They are also good for showing off a dress or skirt with a very interesting pattern on it, as they fill out the fabric folds to display the pattern completely.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I got mine at a local store, Petticoat Junction. It is this one in black:

http://www.petticoatjct.com/merchan..._Code=PJ&Product_Code=MM-580&Category_Code=PC

It's made out of the same fabric as an underslip. It's very soft against my legs, and twirls out beautifully under a full circle skirt.

They have a *ton* of other styles and colors. Check out their pettipants!

(They also have dance shoes.... and these are kinda cute! http://www.petticoatjct.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PJ&Product_Code=ttt-lana)

Liz

I have a vintage reversible(!) petticoat that I always wear under my shirtwaist dresses. I bought it on Ebay a while ago. The ones on Ebay seem to usually bring a lot of money (at least it seems like a lot to me), but I lucked out and bought mine as a buy-it-now for a pretty good price. Most vintage shops carry them, so I'd check there. I think they're a crucial part of achieving the '50s-era look. Good luck!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
crinolines?

Does anyone here wear crinolines for daily wear? I have a couple 50's outfits that beg for a crinoline, but I don't know if I can pull it off without looking too costumey. In my mind, my 40's outfits just look kind of "classic" without looking too out-of-place. My slim-line 50's outfits look fab without costumey. Just kinda curious if other ladies can sport the crinoline.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I don't dress vintage all of the time so I usually save the crinolines for special occasions because I feel they give my outfit that extra pop! About it looking too costumey. I've never had that feeling when wearing one during the day nor any funny looks. Then again I just love the fullness the crinoline adds to the skirt and how it defines my waist. Maybe it's how you feel wearing it? If you feel good in it that's what people will notice.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I wear a lot of full skirts and always wear a crinoline under them. Depending on where I'm going will depend on the fullness of the crinloine. I only wear my really full ones for evening. I have quite a few in several sizes. For everyday I wear these.

000_1822.jpg

roselily

One of the Regulars
^^^^^those are gorgeous!

I would suggest for daily wear the ones made from chiffon rather than tulle- they're softer and less full (and less scratchy!)

My mother used to wear on a daily basis 3 crinnies at a time, all "starched" with plain jello. For Christmas one year she pinned a couple dozen jingle bells in her crinolines. My grandma just about killed her.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner